Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Is there a way to determine if you have a bad LNB?

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 ONLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,181 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 19 September 2012 - 01:18 PM

Being a novice to all this, I have to ask what are the benefits to ME by swapping out a 5 LNB SL5 setup to a 3 LNB SL3 setup? Just curious... does the SL5 _not_ get the same satellites as the SL3? Does the SL3 get satellites that the SL5 doesn't? Or are you suggesting that only if the LNB is shot? If I'm getting non-HD signals perfectly 24/7 (I am) but I want HD wherever its available (like ESPN, YES, MSNBC, CNN, HBO, SHO, etc.) do I need to receive 119 or not? One posts suggests I need it for the guide and thats why it reverts to a screen saver every once in a while... so if I don't have 119 as a selection, it will get guide information elsewhere? Sorry I'm just trying to figure this out.

I'm guessing that my mix of HD DVR tuners (HR20, HR23, & HR24) precludes me from using a single cable setup, but I can probably figure out some way to get six (6) active lines out of the basic four that leave the roof... right?

If you do not need the Slimline 5 there is no reason to have to get signals from them and possibly cause a problem.

Copied and pasted from an earlier post.
Incidentally... as noted earlier, I have four (4) wires running from the current setup and because of that I can't have all the DVRs working. I guess I could run a 2nd line to the 2nd floor bedroom DVR, and could I run a single line down to some kind of splitter/multiswitch so the two "ground level" dvrs could get two (2) feeds each? Is that possible?

If you change to SL3 and also get the SWM version it will control 8 tuners ( dvrs have 2 each ) with only one wire to each of them. If you change to this it will also require a 21 volt Power Inserter.

Your mix of receiver model numbers is not a problem.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,812 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 19 September 2012 - 01:22 PM

I'm guessing that my mix of HD DVR tuners (HR20, HR23, & HR24) precludes me from using a single cable setup, but I can probably figure out some way to get six (6) active lines out of the basic four that leave the roof... right?

The only way to turn the 4 lines coming from the dish into 6 lines to feed 3 DVRs is to use a WB68 multiswitch. You run all 4 lines from the dish to the inputs of the WB68, then you run two lines to each DVR from the outputs of the WB68.

If you replace the LNB assembly in your dish to an SWM type LNB (either 3 or 5 LNB), you will have one coax from the dish which can then be split and run to the various DVRs. In this case you only need one coax to each DVR to feed both tuners.

#23 OFFLINE   pocolocobob

pocolocobob

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 03:05 PM

OK... I think you guys are saying that for my needs, I can get by with a SL3 replacement (or stick with what I have) but the SL3 is sufficient. And if I want to really "upgrade" or simplify things... I can get the SL3-SWM version which provides a single 75 OHm OUT connector that can be split to service up to eight (8) DVR feeds.

So if I go that route with a SL3-SWM, can the cable be split say 6' from the base of the dish inside my attic with a 1-IN/3-OUT splitter? That would provide two (2) lines for our bedroom DVR, and allow the third line to travel down 30' outside the house and then back inside to the basement where I'd connect it to a 1-IN/4-OUT+PWR-IN splitter?

If that works so far, then I simply connect two lines to each DVR, or is it better to run one (1) line to each and use a 1/2 Splitter and two short cables behind each of the two DVRs? That would require more splitters and you tell me if multiple splitters, one in the attic, one power feed splitter inside the basement, and one behind each of the three DVRs is OK as far as signal strength? That's five (5) splitters on the one line. I would put the first splitter in the attic to keep it out of the weather, plus I can crawl to it but I don't have ladders to get me to the outside peak of the roof.

#24 ONLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,181 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 19 September 2012 - 04:07 PM

What you really need to do is to call DirecTV. Tell them you have 3 HD DVRs and a poorly aligned dish. Get them to schedule a service call. It will cost you $49 if you do not have the protection plan and it is free if you pay for the protection plan.
They will supply the labor and any parts that is needed to get your system in first class condition. The $49 pays for it all.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#25 OFFLINE   evan_s

evan_s

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 05:00 PM

For a SWiM install you only need a single cable for both tuners in the DVR to work so it's much simpler than either way you described it.

You'd use a two way splitter in the attic and it would still need to be power passing. The power passing leg would need to be routed to the basement with another 2 way splitter and then the power passing port on that would need to go to where ever the Power inserter is with one DVR behind the PI. The other port in the basement and in the attic would go to their respective receivers.

#26 OFFLINE   pocolocobob

pocolocobob

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 07:13 AM

For a SWiM install you only need a single cable for both tuners in the DVR to work so it's much simpler than either way you described it.

You'd use a two way splitter in the attic and it would still need to be power passing. The power passing leg would need to be routed to the basement with another 2 way splitter and then the power passing port on that would need to go to where ever the Power inserter is with one DVR behind the PI. The other port in the basement and in the attic would go to their respective receivers.

That sounds like a possible approach. Need to get the SL3 SWM, Power Supply, and a power splitter and work from there. Saw a package deal on eBay for a brand-new setup:

DirecTV SWM SL3S 3 LNB Kit 21v Power Supply, 4-Way Splitter for $59

I don't have the plan mainly because the last time a DTV guy came he slid off my roof , and then told me the trees had grown too tall since I had the original old round dish in the '90's. So I got a local authorized private guy to put up the SL5 and aim it. The trees keep growing and I can't move my house LOL, but I emailed him the signal stuff posted above and he texted me back saying he's going to try alignment, plus maybe use a tripod to elevate and stiffen the mount. He does a lot of commercial stuff, and is all over the region doing that. Private homes are maybe 20% of his business I think he said... so I just have to wait until he gives me a date & time now. But he's definitely coming in October.

UPDATE: My Dish guy called me last night and he has all the SWM stuff I need in his truck, so its just a few days until we can coordinate our schedules and hopefully my problems get solved and all my DVRs work.

Edited by pocolocobob, 21 September 2012 - 10:51 AM.

#27 OFFLINE   pocolocobob

pocolocobob

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 02:42 PM

Update: My local DTV Contractor came out yesterday and wound up replacing the SlimLine dish, the LNB arm, swapped in a new SL3 SWM LNB, new power supply, powered splitter, re-aimed my dish with his meter and then tweaked it with my help on phone while he was on roof. He also added a bi-pod to stiffen up the mount and said the bigger dishes should all have that. I now have signal strength of 85-100 on all three satellites, no pixillation, guide is correct, all three DVRs on a single cable. Signal strength is probably an average of over 90 as most are 92-96, a few 100's , a few 89's, a couple of 85's. Apparently the trees are blocking 119 as he first tried to fine tune old setup, but we decided that since the dish LNB arm was damaged by the tree that brushed it last Fall, we swapped out everything but the roof bracket, the main tube and the micrometer adjustment gimbal.

Woo-Hoo am I happy!

Edit: One of my existing wires snaked thru my crawl space in the attic had the lower signals. My guy said that the signal was OK... but I might want to replace that cable. He didn't have time and would rather not work in an unfinished crawl space with no floor just joists. Are there "good, better, best" quality cables? Shold I order pre-finished cables from Monoprice or Tartan and if so... just plain RG6 cables?

Edited by pocolocobob, 27 September 2012 - 03:24 PM.

#28 ONLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,181 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 27 September 2012 - 03:24 PM

Excellent.
Thanks for the update.

#29 OFFLINE   funnyfarm299

funnyfarm299

AllStar

• Registered
  • 90 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 05:25 PM

Update: My local DTV Contractor came out yesterday and wound up replacing the SlimLine dish, the LNB arm, swapped in a new SL3 SWM LNB, new power supply, powered splitter, re-aimed my dish with his meter and then tweaked it with my help on phone while he was on roof. He also added a bi-pod to stiffen up the mount and said the bigger dishes should all have that. I now have signal strength of 85-100 on all three satellites, no pixillation, guide is correct, all three DVRs on a single cable. Signal strength is probably an average of over 90 as most are 92-96, a few 100's , a few 89's, a couple of 85's. Apparently the trees are blocking 119 as he first tried to fine tune old setup, but we decided that since the dish LNB arm was damaged by the tree that brushed it last Fall, we swapped out everything but the roof bracket, the main tube and the micrometer adjustment gimbal.

Woo-Hoo am I happy!

Edit: One of my existing wires snaked thru my crawl space in the attic had the lower signals. My guy said that the signal was OK... but I might want to replace that cable. He didn't have time and would rather not work in an unfinished crawl space with no floor just joists. Are there "good, better, best" quality cables? Shold I order pre-finished cables from Monoprice or Tartan and if so... just plain RG6 cables?

If you want to do a new cable, I would use bulk cable, because premade cables will never be the right length. As long as you use quad shield cable, you should be good.
LR: 50" Samsung plasma, Samsung bluray, HR24, H25, Roku, Denon AVR-1912, URC MX-450 with RF.

BR1: 32" Sony LCD, H25, SnapAV HDMI balun.

BR2: 32" Acer LCD, H25, Xbox 360.

Bonus: 73" mitsubishi 73742, HR24, SnapAV HDMI balun

#30 OFFLINE   texasbrit

texasbrit

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,030 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 07:14 PM

If you want to do a new cable, I would use bulk cable, because premade cables will never be the right length. As long as you use quad shield cable, you should be good.

You don't need quad shield cable....

#31 OFFLINE   funnyfarm299

funnyfarm299

AllStar

• Registered
  • 90 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 09:31 AM

You don't need quad shield cable....

He obviously wants to improve his system beyond what is necessary, because when the tech left the system was working fine.
LR: 50" Samsung plasma, Samsung bluray, HR24, H25, Roku, Denon AVR-1912, URC MX-450 with RF.

BR1: 32" Sony LCD, H25, SnapAV HDMI balun.

BR2: 32" Acer LCD, H25, Xbox 360.

Bonus: 73" mitsubishi 73742, HR24, SnapAV HDMI balun

#32 OFFLINE   pocolocobob

pocolocobob

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 10:32 AM

Blue Jean Cables has Belden 1505A... don't know if that is quad-shield or what. They say its best for runs under 25 feet. They like Belden 1694A for longer runs. Do you think "bulk" cable is better or worse than either of these, and can I buy bulk locally like at Home Depot or Radio Shack that is of equal quality?

That HR23 upstairs was only showing 80-86 max but downstairs its 85-100 on both, mostly 90's & 100's. Thats why he said the cable upstairs might be questionable but serviceable.

spam firewall