Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Loud local commercials

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jtudor

jtudor

Legend

• Registered
  • 107 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 07:24 PM

Is there any chance there is anyone at DTV who would listen to customers complaints about loud "local" insertions commercials, especially on sports channels?

When I am watching, for instance a Braves game and set the volume where I want it, the majority of the commercials are at the same level, but then they insert a commercial for an Atlanta area car dealer, or a Direct TV commercial, and I have to grab the remote and turn it down or be blown out of my chair.

This is something they could fix very easily if they wanted to, so is there anyone to complain to or would it be a waste of time?

(2) HR24-500 (originally HR21-700, then HR22-100)
(1) LG 42PC3 Plasma
(1) Bose Lifestyle V-35
(1) HR22-100
(1) LG 32LD350 LCD
(1) LG 32LK450 LCD
WH DVR and SWim.
Great Stuff DTV!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   west99999

west99999

Icon

• Registered
  • 876 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 07:32 PM

Im pretty sure there was a law passed recently that makes this illegal or something I just cant find it let me look a little more maybe im crazy. I think they were given some time before it was enacted though.

#3 OFFLINE   west99999

west99999

Icon

• Registered
  • 876 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 07:35 PM

Here is the link. Maybe already started but I think may have until Dec. 2012 to fully comply.

http://usgovinfo.abo...Be-Enforced.htm

#4 OFFLINE   lyradd

lyradd

Legend

• Registered
  • 119 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 07:52 PM

I doubt that the CALM Act will be enforced any better than the National Do Not Call Registry, which is a total failure.

#5 OFFLINE   west99999

west99999

Icon

• Registered
  • 876 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 08:03 PM

I think the FTC regulates the DNC and FCC regulates the CALM act which may not mean too much. I don't consider the DNC to be a complete failure because there have been tons of fines handed out breaking the rules. There are just too many ways around the DNC where as the CALM act doesnt have that many ways around it.

#6 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 08:22 PM

We'll see what happens. This problem has been around since the 1950s but in many ways it's worse now. With Dolby Digital and HD, there is a lot of dynamic range to exploit. When things get loud, they now can get really loud.
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#7 OFFLINE   dismayed

dismayed

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 02:32 AM

I bought a new audio receiver that automatically sound levels everything. It works surprisingly well. It's one of the Onkyo's, don't remember which. Anyway thought I'd mention the option.

#8 OFFLINE   Rob

Rob

Icon

• Registered
  • 550 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 08:41 AM

I doubt that the CALM Act will be enforced any better than the National Do Not Call Registry, which is a total failure.

Not a total failure. Of course I still get calls, but that has been scaled back quite a bit.
It's only tv!

spam firewall