Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

If I'm willing to pay, can I keep equipment?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   SteelWheel

SteelWheel

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 01:36 AM

Hi folks. Long time lurker, first time poster. I'm finally biting the bullet, and upgrading to the Hopper. For a long time I had been a Dish customer with the 625 dual-timer/dual-room DVR.

I have the typical problem, naturally: I have a lot of content stored on that 625, and I really don't want to give it up. I know I could go through a lot of steps to burn it to DVR, etc--but I just don't have the time for that right now.

I know that Dish's fee for not returning a 625 is $100. Can I just tell them I'm not returning it, and keep the receiver? I know that Dish's installers tend to just take the old unit when they install a new one. What happens if I tell the install guy I need to hang onto the old one while I watch or store the content, and then neglect to return? I find it hard to believe that Dish is going to do anything with the 625 other than junk it, anyways.

Thanks, folks.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   boba

boba

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 07:32 AM

Hi folks. Long time lurker, first time poster. I'm finally biting the bullet, and upgrading to the Hopper. For a long time I had been a Dish customer with the 625 dual-timer/dual-room DVR.

I have the typical problem, naturally: I have a lot of content stored on that 625, and I really don't want to give it up. I know I could go through a lot of steps to burn it to DVR, etc--but I just don't have the time for that right now.

I know that Dish's fee for not returning a 625 is $100. Can I just tell them I'm not returning it, and keep the receiver? I know that Dish's installers tend to just take the old unit when they install a new one. What happens if I tell the install guy I need to hang onto the old one while I watch or store the content, and then neglect to return? I find it hard to believe that Dish is going to do anything with the 625 other than junk it, anyways.

Thanks, folks.

Try calling DISH LOYALTY dept for an answer. The 625 can't be used on a HOPPER account so there may be some resistance to your keeping it.

#3 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,131 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 07:43 AM

uh...why not just ... you know, slap an external HDD on the thing, move everything over and then move it back to the Hopper?

It's not exactly rocket surgery.

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#4 OFFLINE   rajmarie

rajmarie

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 57 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 08:00 AM

uh...why not just ... you know, slap an external HDD on the thing, move everything over and then move it back to the Hopper?

Cannot transfer shows from 625 to external hdd.

Although keeping 625 just to watch already recorded dvr shows should not be a problem for hopper setup.

#5 OFFLINE   drjake

drjake

Legend

• Registered
  • 193 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 08:23 AM

Find yourself an Archos 605 or Archos 705 or Pocket Dish. They work with the 625.
Drjake

#6 OFFLINE   garys

garys

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,151 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 08:47 AM

In the case of a 625, it is.

#7 OFFLINE   Jhon69

Jhon69

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,637 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 09:41 AM

Thanks, folks.

I thought the same thing at one time because when I had the 625 and my TV was SD only I wanted to do that,buy it.DISH told me my 625 I had was assigned a lease number and that's the way it would have to stay.If I wanted to purchase a 625 DISH would send me another one to take it's place,at a price of $150. if I remember correctly,it was more than $100. to buy.

I also asked about not returning it DISH replied being a leased receiver I could not own it,that's what I was told at the time.

But the 625 is an awesome DVR,it has 2-120 minute live buffers,that's what I liked about it,well just so you know DISH's VIPs and Hoppers only have a 60 minute live buffer per tuner just an FYI.

Welcome to the Forum!:welcome_s

#8 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,131 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 11:13 AM

In the case of a 625, it is.

Oh. I misread and thought it said 622. My bad. :sure:

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#9 OFFLINE   SteelWheel

SteelWheel

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 03:00 PM

Hi, thanks for responses, guys. And thanks to the person who PM'ed me (you know who you are)--I couldn't respond to it via PM, since I only have one post on here.

I did one of those "online chats" with a Dish customer support person, who initially told me that I had to return the 625. When I asked to speak to the supervisor, he immediately changed his tune, and said that I could keep the 625 as long as I was willing to pay the unreturned equipment fee. Which I'll just hook up to a spare Slingbox--so I'm happy enough, I guess. Thanks again.

#10 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,010 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 12 September 2012 - 03:43 PM

Keeping the 625 isn't going to do you a lot of good if you are getting Hopper, though... since Dish isn't allowing (except for special circumstances) old equipment on Hopper installations.

So... you won't be able to use that 625 on your account anymore...

-- My cat's breath smells like cat food.

#11 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,414 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 03:55 PM

So... you won't be able to use that 625 on your account anymore...

I don't think he cares about that. I think he wants to use it off-line just to watch the recorded shows left on it since he may not be able to transfer them to any other device.
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#12 OFFLINE   Papote

Papote

AllStar

• Registered
  • 55 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 04:51 PM

Hi, thanks for responses, guys. And thanks to the person who PM'ed me (you know who you are)--I couldn't respond to it via PM, since I only have one post on here.

I did one of those "online chats" with a Dish customer support person, who initially told me that I had to return the 625. When I asked to speak to the supervisor, he immediately changed his tune, and said that I could keep the 625 as long as I was willing to pay the unreturned equipment fee. Which I'll just hook up to a spare Slingbox--so I'm happy enough, I guess. Thanks again.

How much is the unreturned equipment fee?

#13 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,410 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 07:55 PM

They are usually pretty steep, like the retail price of a new unit - est. $350.
Tuners: Hopper 2000; Hopper w/Sling; 3 Joeys; Samsung SIR-T351; Accurian 6000;2 X HD TiVo; 2 X TiVo Series 2 Stand alone; Panasonic Showstopper 2000
Dish 1000.2 @ 110, 119, 129; dish 500 @ 61.5
Antennas - CM4228; RS U75-R; coathanger; Funke PSP.1922 (stillin the box); paperclip
Displays: Sony VPH D50Q with HD Fury HDMI input; Hitachi 57F59; Sony Bravia LCD;Sanyo 32" LCD; Panasonic 42" plasma
Sony 80GB PS3; Toshiba HD-DVD

Give me a Finco colinear array and I'll rule the world - HA-HA-HA-HA!

#14 OFFLINE   jerry downing

jerry downing

Godfather

• Registered
  • 520 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 13 September 2012 - 08:55 PM

If the 625 is deactivated, will he still have access to recorded shows?

#15 OFFLINE   Inkosaurus

Inkosaurus

Icon

• Registered
  • 678 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 04:38 AM

Yes.

#16 OFFLINE   Papote

Papote

AllStar

• Registered
  • 55 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 05:04 AM

Doesn't even need to be connected to any SAT In connections and the recorded shows are available.

Years ago before I even had DISH, I had bought a used deactivated 510 from a friend and watched the recorded shows until I got my DISH system installed.

#17 OFFLINE   Inkosaurus

Inkosaurus

Icon

• Registered
  • 678 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 05:51 AM

I did one of those "online chats" with a Dish customer support person, who initially told me that I had to return the 625. When I asked to speak to the supervisor, he immediately changed his tune, and said that I could keep the 625 as long as I was willing to pay the unreturned equipment fee.

I know this seems like a solution for you but you may want to reconsider it.
Dish takes everything into account in the future regarding things like upgrades, credits and freebies.

Even if you intend to pay the unreturned equipment fee the fact that you refused to return it may cast you in a poor light in the future ;)

spam firewall