Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DISH Fires Up Its News and Political Programming With Glenn Beck's TheBlaze

• Please log in to reply
126 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,146 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 13 September 2012 - 05:01 AM

On the one hand I can respect Glenn Beck for apparently overcoming some pretty serious addictions and his business acumen. It's a neat trick to build a following year after year. Not everyone can do that.

At the same time, I can be repulsed by his methods.. Claiming that someone is un-American because a staff member has a grandmother who's cousin was married to a person who's uncle might have had ties to terrorists... Or fomenting fear in his program about the economy and saying the people are running to precious metals - followed up by a commercial for Goldline???

Look, I don't like Beck. But I can't stand "Honey Boo Boo", "Toddlers & Tiaras" and 90% of the other crap that's out there. He can state his peace and I can call him out when he lies. I can also show some admiration for some of the Friday shows he did - I think he called them "Founding Father's Fridays" that showed some interesting and less-known facts (yeah, I looked them up afterwards) from early in our nation's history. I think that's one reason I dislike him so much - he put so much research into THOSE shows to get the truth out, but then contrasted it with the polar opposite the rest of the week...

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#62 OFFLINE   Tribbs

Tribbs

Mentor

• Registered
  • 32 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 06:29 AM

At the same time, I can be repulsed by his methods.. Claiming that someone is un-American because a staff member has a grandmother who's cousin was married to a person who's uncle might have had ties to terrorists...

Can you please show me a link to support your assertion.

Or fomenting fear in his program about the economy and saying the people are running to precious metals - followed up by a commercial for Goldline???

The "global" price of gold hasn't gone from less than $300/Oz to over $1,700/Oz or the "global" economy tanking because of Glenn Beck. That is a certainty. You may want to "refresh" your thoughts.

#63 OFFLINE   MadScientist

MadScientist

Godfather

• Registered
  • 256 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 06:33 AM

I guess you need to read it first!

Uh NO ONE is forcing you too watch ch 212 just like Im not forced to watch MSNBC or Current Tv---thank God! ....and bravo dish to Dish for providing GBTV/The Blaze... And A quick Peek at Direct tv's Facebook page seems to indicate any loses from GBTV will be made up with ex Dtv customers wanting it too...and I would also Refer you to post# 2 as Mr. Long ask this thread not turned political

#64 OFFLINE   356B

356B

Icon

• Registered
  • 878 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 13 September 2012 - 08:18 AM

I suspect GB will be relegated to something similar to the religious/faith based networks Dish carries, once the shine is gone. The religious nets must have some relative following to stay viable. GB fits that demographic and ideology, so for Dish I suspect again... it was a calculated and safe move.
One major issue GB should be concerned about is the paying subscribers. If Dish and others, (GB's words) are picking up his channel the internet audience will shrink because Dish and "others" will be bundling the programming into their packages the faithful could already be paying for.
Regardless we shall know in a few months perhaps a year how this went.
I have to say I did watch him last night and he clearly see's this as a triumphant return to mainstream television. He claims he has major plans for exciting events, provocative programming and surprises to come....Say what you want about GB's politics...it does appear he has an idea that Dish and "others" consider good enough to get in bed with....at least for the time being.
Thank you and
Best of luck

#65 OFFLINE   mitchflorida

mitchflorida

Godfather

• Registered
  • 423 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 08:45 AM

You have to regard Glenn Beck as a marketing genius. Oprah Winfrey started her own Cable Channel and it has already lost a staggering $350 million dollars, with no end in sight. Beck could have started a network like that and lost money and control. He did it in his own unique way and will be making money hand over fist in terms of profits.

#66 OFFLINE   Jaspear

Jaspear

Godfather

• Registered
  • 372 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 09:52 AM

You have to regard Glenn Beck as a marketing genius. Oprah Winfrey started her own Cable Channel and it has already lost a staggering $350 million dollars, with no end in sight. Beck could have started a network like that and lost money and control. He did it in his own unique way and will be making money hand over fist in terms of profits.

And, according to him, he and his company are completely debt free. A web site with 75+ million page views per month, A 24/7 TV channel that will soon be in front of a majority of TV homes, A radio show on 400 or so radio stations (with a new $100 million five year contract) and soon, a 24/7 radio network patterned after Blaze TV. As well as publishing, documentary and live stage show ventures and a large non-profit charity organization. Much of this accomplished in the last two years. A marketing genius indeed!
"A proof is a proof. What kind of a proof? It's a proof. A proof is a proof. And when you have a good proof, it's because it's proven."

Jean Chrétien, Prime Minister of Canada, 1993 - 2003.

#67 OFFLINE   Michael P

Michael P

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,897 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 05:54 PM

Check out this Dish page

E* is "Fair and Balanced" :D

#68 OFFLINE   satcrazy

satcrazy

Icon

• Registered
  • 677 posts
  • LocationGreat lakes, NW Pa.

Posted 13 September 2012 - 06:46 PM

hysterical.

not everyone is into politics and/or sports.:rolleyes:

#69 OFFLINE   rtd2

rtd2

Legend

• Registered
  • 160 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 10:43 PM

Check out this Dish page

E* is "Fair and Balanced" :D

Dish certainly got politics covered with those choices.....Notice GBTV is At250 and Current is At200....While I have At250 enjoying ch212 that seems interesting....

#70 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 38,669 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 10:51 PM

Unlisted in that advertisement, but DISH also has Free Speech TV on channel 9415. It is available in all levels of programming as a "Public Interest" channel. Perhaps DISH should move it to channel 213 so it can be more easily found among the news/information channels.

#71 OFFLINE   Rob

Rob

Icon

• Registered
  • 546 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 11:50 PM

For the record (again) Glenn Beck left FOX News Channel on his own accord. He was not "fired" He wanted to do his own thing without having network bigwigs telling him what he can and can't say. Love him or hate him more power to him!

Sure, sure. That's it all right. Not really, but keep on thinking that. Fox was bleeding advertisers. That's was the reason, Fox News let him save face and pretend like it was a mutual decision.
It's only tv!

#72 OFFLINE   mreposter

mreposter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,700 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 12:38 AM

Is The Blaze a one man show or does he have other commentators / hosts as part of the service?

I think the website is run somewhat like the Huffington Post with lots of contributors, but I wonder how much of any one person could generate enough content for radio, tv and the web.
.......... There are none so blind as those who can not see it in HD.
.......... Directv customer since January 2000.

#73 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,214 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 14 September 2012 - 07:09 AM

I think your assessment is a bit premature. GB is very definitely an acquired taste, and while he may be very successful with his online 'channel', it is not a given that his channel on regular TV will be a success.

I know of one radio personality that gets huge audiences, has an 'online' version of his show also available that is doing quite well. Yet when he was on TV he was a dud and didn't last long. That person is Rush Limbaugh.

So time will tell if this is really a good move and if GB can have the success he now enjoys as an online personality as he moves back into TV. His Fox departure was not wholly his decision as he was costing them ad money.

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#74 OFFLINE   rtd2

rtd2

Legend

• Registered
  • 160 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 10:11 AM

Sure, sure. That's it all right. Not really, but keep on thinking that. Fox was bleeding advertisers. That's was the reason, Fox News let him save face and pretend like it was a mutual decision.

Im a Conservative and I agree 100% with your statement above... as All advertisers on Fox are NOT conservative.... that said Becks Departure is the main reason I quit watching Fox...Glad to see 212 is available to those who Choose to watch it.

#75 OFFLINE   rtd2

rtd2

Legend

• Registered
  • 160 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 10:14 AM

Is The Blaze a one man show or does he have other commentators / hosts as part of the service?

I think the website is run somewhat like the Huffington Post with lots of contributors, but I wonder how much of any one person could generate enough content for radio, tv and the web.

granted its early in the networks life but He has several other commentators I've seen on there... and a lot of historical founding father educational fill in programming as well ...

#76 OFFLINE   Jaspear

Jaspear

Godfather

• Registered
  • 372 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 11:55 AM

I think your assessment is a bit premature. GB is very definitely an acquired taste, and while he may be very successful with his online 'channel', it is not a given that his channel on regular TV will be a success.

I know of one radio personality that gets huge audiences, has an 'online' version of his show also available that is doing quite well. Yet when he was on TV he was a dud and didn't last long. That person is Rush Limbaugh.

But we do have his ratings over the 2+ years at Fox News and those numbers at 5 PM were impressive to say the least.

Posted Image

www.thewrap.com/media/article/behind-glenn-beck-fox-news-slumping-ratings-24967

Even with the decline, over 2 million viewers in Feb. 2011 still took everybody else to the cleaners, including nearly every other news/opinion show in prime time, not just at 5 PM.

Based on that, I think it's safe to say that he will have very respectable numbers on Dish and the other multichannel providers as he launches on them. And this is not just 60 minutes at 5 PM and it won't be just opinion programming. He mentioned just yesterday that he wants to "fast track" a Nightline style show to air this fall and run at least though December. He also hinted that a hard news show is in development.

So time will tell if this is really a good move and if GB can have the success he now enjoys as an online personality as he moves back into TV. His Fox departure was not wholly his decision as he was costing them ad money.

He wasn't costing them revenue, the leftist ad boycott was. It will be much harder to do that this time around. It is and will be an interesting journey to watch.
"A proof is a proof. What kind of a proof? It's a proof. A proof is a proof. And when you have a good proof, it's because it's proven."

#77 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,214 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 14 September 2012 - 12:32 PM

He wasn't costing them revenue, the leftist ad boycott was. It will be much harder to do that this time around. It is and will be an interesting journey to watch.

LOL! He most certainly was the cause of those ad dollars going away, which in fact, made Fox lose revenue.

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#78 OFFLINE   satcrazy

satcrazy

Icon

• Registered
  • 677 posts
  • LocationGreat lakes, NW Pa.

Posted 14 September 2012 - 12:37 PM

Unlisted in that advertisement, but DISH also has Free Speech TV on channel 9415. It is available in all levels of programming as a "Public Interest" channel. Perhaps DISH should move it to channel 213 so it can be more easily found among the news/information channels.

Interesting.

Excellent suggestion. Just added that to my channel list.

I would like to see 9410 [link tv] added to the 200's as well.

Now we're getting to "balanced".;)

Thanks, james

#79 OFFLINE   Jaspear

Jaspear

Godfather

• Registered
  • 372 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 02:09 PM

LOL! He most certainly was the cause of those ad dollars going away, which in fact, made Fox lose revenue.

The old chicken or egg argument. Ultimately, it was unsuccessful, as evidenced by channel 212.

#80 OFFLINE   356B

356B

Icon

• Registered
  • 878 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 14 September 2012 - 02:48 PM

Fox put new folks in the seats, 3 attractive women, a comic...sort of, a ex-baseball player turned stock exchange guy, turned conservative talking head and a overweight ex-druggie/alcoholic ex-political operative turned Christian good guy liberal....and a few fill ins here and there.
The ads are rolling in, rating are up, the girls are pretty, the debate is rigged against the liberal and all is good in the time slot for Fox.
GB brought to much drama and baggage for the advertisers Fox had in place, it's better where he is....
Thank you and
Best of luck

spam firewall