Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DISH Fires Up Its News and Political Programming With Glenn Beck's TheBlaze

• Please log in to reply
126 replies to this topic

#81 OFFLINE   Michael P

Michael P

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 03:25 PM

I know of one radio personality that gets huge audiences, has an 'online' version of his show also available that is doing quite well. Yet when he was on TV he was a dud and didn't last long. That person is Rush Limbaugh.

I watched Rush's TV show. It was not carried on many stations and those that did for the most part carried it at 2 AM (in fact the only station to give him a decent time slot was WNWO in Toledo, OH). I had to use my VCR to time shift his show which was carried on WKYC in Cleveland.

Rush was not a dud on TV, he just tried TV too soon, before there were cable channels that would have carried his show. His show was in the early 90's. That was before FOX News (only CNN at the time who would not have ever considered running his show). There were only around 36 channels on cable at the time. It also was before DVR's, all there was was VCR's. His "affiliates" were OTA stations scattered in various markets (i.e. no nationwide exposure, you had to live in one of the cities that had a station that carried his show). The internet was in it's infancy at the time too.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#82 ONLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,279 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 14 September 2012 - 03:34 PM

Rush may very well been ahead of the times when he was on TV, but all his physical quirks and movement, while loved by those that are 'rushies', weren't appreciated by anyone else.

I'd say that if Rush were to try to come back to TV again, the end result would be the same.

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#83 OFFLINE   david_jr

david_jr

Godfather

• Registered
  • 413 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 09:55 PM

Channel should be renamed "Spreading hate and fear channel"

GB promotes founding principles and believes that our government is spending us into bankruptcy toward an eventuality like what is happening in Europe. What part of that is hateful?

#84 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,394 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 04:35 AM

I'm a extreme centrist, but I loved watching GB. To me, it was like watching a bad TeleEvangelist - tons of drama, bad acting, tears, and passion. And I LOVED that chalkboard!

To me, it was as funny as the news parodies on Comedy Central. Yes, it was very entertaining to me. Granted, some of his views were beyond crazy to me, but that's fine - it's a free country.

As a former "morning zoo" type DJ, he gets the entertainment aspect of his job, and he sure does play it well.

#85 OFFLINE   olds403

olds403

Godfather

• Registered
  • 332 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 06:09 AM

Not in HD, but it looks pretty darn good for SD. Of course, up until a few months ago, I had D*, so almost all SD looks good to me now. :)

I have to disagree, the SD looks like crap on my 60" tv. Where is the HD if it is available in HD?

#86 OFFLINE   pjazz

pjazz

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 08:46 AM

Uh NO ONE is forcing you too watch ch 212 just like Im not forced to watch MSNBC or Current Tv---thank God! ....and bravo dish to Dish for providing GBTV/The Blaze... And A quick Peek at Direct tv's Facebook page seems to indicate any loses from GBTV will be made up with ex Dtv customers wanting it too...and I would also Refer you to post# 2 as Mr. Long ask this thread not turned political

They almost are litterally. All of a sudden this channel popped up on my guide personal favorite list this stinks of a political advertisement and one more reason why I'm thinking of dumping dish.

#87 OFFLINE   kenglish

kenglish

Icon

• Registered
  • 972 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah, USA

Posted 15 September 2012 - 09:44 AM

I'd rather watch the Test Pattern Channel.

I LOVE that station. :)

#88 OFFLINE   356B

356B

Icon

• Registered
  • 894 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 15 September 2012 - 11:57 AM

They almost are litterally. All of a sudden this channel popped up on my guide personal favorite list this stinks of a political advertisement and one more reason why I'm thinking of dumping dish.

I noticed that too, it showed up in my Favs....unannounced, but I could don't care. GB is an interesting sideshow attraction for me...occasionally.
Thank you and
Best of luck

#89 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,562 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 12:04 PM

What was on 212 before? Maybe you had it in your favorites list when it was something else.
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#90 OFFLINE   Jaspear

Jaspear

Godfather

• Registered
  • 392 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 12:20 PM

I have to disagree, the SD looks like crap on my 60" tv. Where is the HD if it is available in HD?

When I put it up side by side in PIP with another SD Channel (as example "Current") it clearly looks better to me. My guess is Beck's Mercury Arts is providing it in HD and Dish is doing the down convert.
"A proof is a proof. What kind of a proof? It's a proof. A proof is a proof. And when you have a good proof, it's because it's proven."

Jean Chrétien, Prime Minister of Canada, 1993 - 2003.

#91 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 39,581 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 12:21 PM

What was on 212 before? Maybe you had it in your favorites list when it was something else.

212 was NASA TV until a few weeks ago. I did not have 212 show up on my favorites lists that would not have included NASA TV but on a previous receiver new channels would occasionally show up on favorites lists. I always assumed that it was so people saw the new channels and could delete them if they wanted instead of missing a channel addition.

BTW: NASA TV was moved to channel 286, next to the DISH Earth channel.

#92 OFFLINE   TBoneit

TBoneit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,274 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 12:42 PM

212 was NASA TV until a few weeks ago. I did not have 212 show up on my favorites lists that would not have included NASA TV but on a previous receiver new channels would occasionally show up on favorites lists. I always assumed that it was so people saw the new channels and could delete them if they wanted instead of missing a channel addition.

BTW: NASA TV was moved to channel 286, next to the DISH Earth channel.

Which is a much more likely reason than some conservative propaganda.

Nobody forced you to watch it. Juts remove it. Tempest in a Teacup.
Remember when your kids were the TV set's remote control?

#93 OFFLINE   festivus

festivus

Legend

• Registered
  • 190 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 07:38 AM

But no local CBS in Columbus and no Big Ten Network. And no AMC. Seriously considering dropping Dish even though I mostly side with them in their negotiations. At some point I just need the damn channels.
Panasonic TCP50S1 50 inch plasma in great room, Dish VIP622, Pioneer Surround System

Sanyo PLV-Z5 Projector in basement, 106 inch gray screen, 2nd Dish VIP622. LG Surround System

db2 antennna in attic for both VIP622s

Time Warner Roadrunner

We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology. ~Carl Sagan

#94 OFFLINE   AntAltMike

AntAltMike

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,725 posts
  • LocationCollege Park MD (just outside Wash, DC)

Posted 17 September 2012 - 08:03 AM

... the few times I watched this character before he got fired from Fox, he was funny with his chalk board in a 'head shaking way'... :rolleyes:

For the record (again) [B]Glenn Beck left FOX News Channel on his own accord. He was not "fired" He wanted to do his own thing without having network bigwigs telling him what he can and can't say...

...I can be repulsed by his methods.. Claiming that someone is un-American because a staff member has a grandmother who's cousin was married to a person who's uncle might have had ties to terrorists...

Can you please show me a link to support your assertion...

GB promotes founding principles and believes that our government is spending us into bankruptcy toward an eventuality like what is happening in Europe. What part of that is hateful?

Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by AntAltMike, 17 September 2012 - 08:32 AM.

#95 OFFLINE   fudpucker

fudpucker

Godfather

• Registered
  • 526 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 04:19 PM

I thought Dish was trying to keep my costs down? I lose award winning high quality tv shows on AMC, lose our Big Ten channel, and I get the Glenn Beck channel?

#96 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,531 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 17 September 2012 - 04:26 PM

I thought Dish was trying to keep my costs down? I lose award winning high quality tv shows on AMC, lose our Big Ten channel, and I get the Glenn Beck channel?

One has nothing to do with the other. Beck is here because he and Dish agreed on a price... AMC and Big Ten are gone because they did not agree on a price.

No more, no less. Don't try to make something where there isn't something.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#97 OFFLINE   Michael P

Michael P

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 04:36 PM

One has nothing to do with the other. Beck is here because he and Dish agreed on a price... AMC and Big Ten are gone because they did not agree on a price.

AMEN! The Blase is in AT 250 so after the free preview 212 will go away for all those who don't want the network. Also for those who do want the channel but not the rest of the AT250 pack The Blase will be alacarte. The political networks the Blase-haters want are all in lower priced packs so there is no room to complain. This is a win-win situation.

#98 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,189 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 18 September 2012 - 04:22 AM

Keeping this politically neutral - Dish *is* keeping your costs down. I *guarantee* you that Glenn Beck is seeing less per subscriber than AMC is asking for.

Like I said, I may not like his politics, but I respect his business acumen. He's doing what's necessary to grow his business.

#99 OFFLINE   fudpucker

fudpucker

Godfather

• Registered
  • 526 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 05:08 PM

All I'm saying is that, for the same monthly fee I was paying about a month ago, I have lost two channels that I valued quite a bit and picked up one I wouldn't watch if they paid ME .70c a month. Just frustration.

#100 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,456 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 07:41 PM

Our power over channel choosing is either suggestion and/or exit, meanwhile Dish ALWAYS has the final say -"take it or leave".
Tuners: Hopper 2000; Hopper w/Sling; 3 Joeys; Samsung SIR-T351; Accurian 6000;2 X HD TiVo; 2 X TiVo Series 2 Stand alone; Panasonic Showstopper 2000
Dish 1000.2 @ 110, 119, 129; dish 500 @ 61.5
Antennas - CM4228; RS U75-R; coathanger; Funke PSP.1922 (stillin the box); paperclip
Displays: Sony VPH D50Q with HD Fury HDMI input; Hitachi 57F59; Sony Bravia LCD;Sanyo 32" LCD; Panasonic 42" plasma
Sony 80GB PS3; Toshiba HD-DVD

Give me a Finco colinear array and I'll rule the world - HA-HA-HA-HA!

spam firewall