Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DISH Fires Up Its News and Political Programming With Glenn Beck's TheBlaze

• Please log in to reply
126 replies to this topic

#101 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 40,266 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 08:04 PM

Our power over channel choosing is either suggestion and/or exit, meanwhile Dish ALWAYS has the final say -"take it or leave".

I have only found a couple of channels that cannot be hidden and locked out on my receiver ... they are test channels put there so one can tell what orbital locations are received without going through the menus. Otherwise any channel that offends can be locked out. On my receiver all of the shopping channels are locked out and hidden. There are also several other channels that I have locked and hidden which I will not list here because it would serve no purpose ... the point is, it is easy to remove a channel from your receiver.

Removing a channel from payment is a harder matter ... TheBlaze being an AT250 channel it (once the preview ends) will not be paid for by most DISH customers. For the few million who will, like it or not, pay for it they will receive over 30 other channels plus the Encore movie package in AT250 that AT200 subscribers do not get. Some fraction of the $10 AT250 subs are paying extra for AT250 will go for TheBlaze. But some fraction of that $10 will go for other channels that may not be desired. Unfortunately not all channels are desired by all people.

Cue the standard rants on a la carte options. Ok, now we've covered that lets get move on.

There are a lot of channels on DISH to enjoy ... and a few that I don't enjoy. Fortunately no one is forcing me to watch any channel and at the end of the day the channels I want to get are worth the price I am paying ... so the rest of the channels I get and don't watch are free. :)

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#102 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,871 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 18 September 2012 - 08:43 PM

All I'm saying is that, for the same monthly fee I was paying about a month ago, I have lost two channels that I valued quite a bit and picked up one I wouldn't watch if they paid ME .70c a month. Just frustration.

I suppose... but remember when Dish picked up AMC a couple of years ago? Did they raise fees immediately that month?

You seem to be expecting a price drop and an immediate one at that... but not willing to pay extra if they add something.

Meanwhile... on any given uplink, Dish is likely to add something I might like OR something I'm completely disinterested in seeing... but I'm not their only customer. Just like how Wal-Mart sometimes puts stuff in the front of the store that I don't care about... I just walk past it those weeks and head to the stuff I want.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#103 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,173 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 11:04 AM

Channel should be renamed "Spreading hate and fear channel"

Amen

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#104 OFFLINE   356B

356B

Icon

• Registered
  • 901 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 19 September 2012 - 12:56 PM

Channel should be renamed "Spreading hate and fear channel"

Or Syfy2....:lol:
Thank you and
Best of luck

#105 OFFLINE   AntAltMike

AntAltMike

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,955 posts
  • LocationCollege Park MD (just outside Wash, DC)

Posted 19 September 2012 - 12:58 PM

...or, The Anti-Caliphate Channel".

#106 OFFLINE   satcrazy

satcrazy

Icon

• Registered
  • 807 posts
  • LocationGreat lakes, NW Pa.

Posted 19 September 2012 - 06:13 PM

tuned in for about 8 minutes a few days back and listened to some guy named wilkoz shouting at his listeners/viewers.

gave me a headache just trying to focus on whatever he was saying.

If he's the tip of the iceberg................:rolleyes:

#107 OFFLINE   tigerwillow1

tigerwillow1

Legend

• Registered
  • 121 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 07:11 PM

I'm curious if there's been such an outpouring of hate or call for censorship for any other E* or D* channels? There are at least several existing channels that routinely spread false information, fear, and hate with a lot of shouting. Do they get equal treatment? What's so special about the Blaze to have people publicly state they they'd pay more to have it deleted from the channel lineup? I don't watch the channels I don't like but I'd never consider publicly advocating their censorship. Isn't that supposed to be decided by ratings and market forces?

#108 OFFLINE   356B

356B

Icon

• Registered
  • 901 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 19 September 2012 - 07:28 PM

The market eventually dictates the outcome. Say what you want, "Blaze" aka GB is a marginal channel. "Current" is another marginal channel and I've wonder aloud to my more liberal friends how long it will be profitable....if it is at all. The same is true of "Blaze" and I have a feeling that after the election and if Obama wins...all bets are off, either way. The yelling and obnoxiousness gets really boring after the first 15 minutes.
Now... if the AMC thing could only get fixed....:lol:

Edited by 356B, 19 September 2012 - 08:19 PM.

Thank you and
Best of luck

#109 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,871 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 19 September 2012 - 08:33 PM

I'm curious if there's been such an outpouring of hate or call for censorship for any other E* or D* channels? There are at least several existing channels that routinely spread false information, fear, and hate with a lot of shouting. Do they get equal treatment? What's so special about the Blaze to have people publicly state they they'd pay more to have it deleted from the channel lineup? I don't watch the channels I don't like but I'd never consider publicly advocating their censorship. Isn't that supposed to be decided by ratings and market forces?

We try and keep the noise down here on the news channel complaints because people tend to go into political off-topic and against-the-rules discussions... so the closest thing we have are the complaints about LOGO at one time when it was added... and semi-regular anti-ESPN rants.

So... there are other channels that create ire and rile people up from time to time... and they aren't all politically-based reasons for disliking a channel.

Honestly, though, I can't see why people can't just turn the channel OR lock it out of the EPG if they really don't want to watch any particular channel.

#110 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 40,266 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 10:49 PM

I expect TheBlaze will do fine ... it has an audience. That audience may or may not include you or me, but there seems to be an audience for it.

I also would not pin its success or failure on the outcome of the election. Mr Beck and his fellow hosts will find something to talk about ... whether it is a president they don't like or an opposition party that is blocking the president's plans. I'm sure they will have an opinion and someone will want to hear it.

And those that don't want to hear it will have over 250 other video and music channels to choose from.

#111 OFFLINE   david_jr

david_jr

Godfather

• Registered
  • 424 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 09:35 AM

It's simple they're reading from the playbook and repeating the talking points. It has been shown that ridicule and labeling someone hateful or racist does more damage to that person than arguing your version of the facts against their version of the facts. It is how Jon Stewart makes a living.

#112 OFFLINE   satcrazy

satcrazy

Icon

• Registered
  • 807 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 10:47 AM

Hey, I'm all for free speech, you just don't have to yell it at me.

356 is right, gets real boring quickly, and loses my attention like right now.

As far as stewart and colbert, they at least have the ability to make me laugh, so there is entertainment value there.:)

#113 OFFLINE   Michael P

Michael P

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,941 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 04:05 PM

Hey, I'm all for free speech, you just don't have to yell it at me.

356 is right, gets real boring quickly, and loses my attention like right now.

As far as stewart and colbert, they at least have the ability to make me laugh, so there is entertainment value there.:)

Well Glenn makes me laugh at times. Have you ever seen his "More on Trivia" game? He is not always shouting (unless you definition of "shouting" is hearing anything counter to your beliefs, even if it's whispered).

#114 OFFLINE   satcrazy

satcrazy

Icon

• Registered
  • 807 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 04:43 PM

Well Glenn makes me laugh at times. Have you ever seen his "More on Trivia" game? He is not always shouting (unless you definition of "shouting" is hearing anything counter to your beliefs, even if it's whispered).

Nope, haven't seen it.

Common guy, if you have to raise your voice to make your point, you are treating the masses like a child. Like posting in caps, nobody enjoys it.

There's alot of the spoken word out there that is counter to what I believe [ without getting political here] and it isn't decibels above normal hearing levels.

#115 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,871 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 20 September 2012 - 05:20 PM

Common guy, if you have to raise your voice to make your point, you are treating the masses like a child. Like posting in caps, nobody enjoys it.

When I flip around the channels, I see a lot of people yelling on a lot of channels.

We really don't want this to be overly political here, so I won't go into specifics... but I honestly see stuff I like and stuff I hate from all sides of the discussions on various news channels.

My #1 gripe is that we don't have any one channel that is completely unbiased. They all have a bias towards something... so I have to take bits and pieces from all of them in order to piece together reality.

I don't begrudge anyone his or her favorite personalities or news channels, but beyond that I wish we could get one that just gives us straight info without editorial... and then the rest of the time I can be entertained.

#116 OFFLINE   tigerwillow1

tigerwillow1

Legend

• Registered
  • 121 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 10:40 PM

How does Dish or Direct know how many people are watching any particular channel? It's easy to count the ala carte subscribers to The Blaze or similar channels, but how can they tell what channels AT250 subscribers are watching, when the channels are bundled in the package?

Changing the subject, Beck said on his radio show today that The Blaze will "soon" be on "all cable networks".

#117 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 40,266 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 10:50 PM

I understand that DISH receivers connected to a phone line or the Internet (as all receivers should be connected) can report back basic statistics. This is used to help target advertising placed by DISH on channels.

#118 OFFLINE   Klatu

Klatu

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 10:10 AM

I liked him when he was on Fox.

I don't plan on watching something in SD and have to pay more for it. If it was included in the 120+ and up, and in HD, I would tune in sometimes.

But there is not much thrill in watching somebody talk into the microphone for radio on tv.

Slowly moving pictures of the "subject" of discussion are not very entertaining.

:nono:
VIP 722 DVR, Samsung LNT4671F HD TV, ROKU for Netflix, Panasonic Blu-Ray, Slingbox, and a HTC Rezound to watch all this stuff when my wife is shopping.

#119 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 40,266 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 04:04 PM

While Glen's radio program is part of TheBlaze lineup, his formerly web only evening video show is aired on TheBlaze and there are non Beck hosted programs as well where the camera and people in front of it move.

#120 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Know Nothing

• Registered
  • 5,706 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 04:19 PM

But there is not much thrill in watching somebody talk into the microphone for radio on tv.

Howard Stern did OK when he paraded out the Strippers and Hos. ;)
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...