Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

The iPhone 5/iOS 6 thread

• Please log in to reply
347 replies to this topic

#281 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,730 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 01:17 AM

Some great examples showing how far Apple Maps have to go to improve:

http://theamazingios6maps.tumblr.com/
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#282 OFFLINE   wingrider01

wingrider01

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 04:36 AM

I really don't get that. Other phones on Verizon can do that. It does seem to be an Apple decision regarding CDMA. But, for many people it doesn't much matter. I mostly use data on wifi, rarely use the phone. All the other family is on Verizon so don't use minutes, good coverage and I signed us up for a good discount.

Pretty sure that is not correct, will have to check when I get back to the office with a couple of people that have a blackberry and a android. Found this also

http://arstechnica.c...print-iphone-5/

"A long-standing feature of the CDMA networks used by Verizon and Sprint is they don't permit simultaneous use of a data connection and a voice connection. Due to their use of the data-only EVDO standard (instead of the data plus voice EVDV alternative), any inbound or outbound call forces the phone to drop the data connection and revert to a CDMA connection."

this seems to indicate that no phone on verizon or sprint can do it

#283 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Topic Starter
  • Administrators
  • 17,176 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 05:39 AM

Hopefully AT&T can improve those LTE speeds.

What are you kidding me? These are faster speeds than my home connection.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_2884.PNG

#284 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,240 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 23 September 2012 - 06:43 AM

Wow, that's about 4 times the 10/4 speed I get sitting in my livingroom - almost matching the 12/4 cable connection.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#285 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 07:21 AM

What are you kidding me? These are faster speeds than my home connection.

I thought they were still using their fake brand of LTE.
DTV = Digital Television

#286 OFFLINE   Karen

Karen

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 309 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 09:30 AM

We got the real thing here in Sacramento last week. My download speed is faster thru AT&T's LTE, but my upload speed is faster on wireless. I have the lowest priced plan from Surewest's fiber-optic network at home...

Posted ImagePosted Image

I've never had the best AT&T connection around my house. I can hardly wait to see what the speed is when I have more bars showing.

#287 OFFLINE   Matt9876

Matt9876

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 12:41 PM

Big question, How did they make the new Maps app work on the Ipad3 Wi-Fi only device for turn by turn directions. Part of new IOS6.0 upgrade.

Just got back home from a long trip and for the most part the Map app worked beautifully.:)

It seems to update about every fifteen seconds, with a blue ball marker in the center of a blue shaded circular area, the shaded area seems to be the margin of accuracy.

I have the Nav Free app that still has no clue where I am and reports "Poor GPS" most of the time.

I was always told the Wi-Fi only models have no GPS chip but some how my Ipad3 wi-fi only 64 gig can accurately pin point my location and map it correctly.

Edited by Matt9876, 23 September 2012 - 05:01 PM.

#288 OFFLINE   TBlazer07

TBlazer07

Grumpy Grampy

• Registered
  • 4,777 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 01:43 PM

Big question, How did they make the new Maps app work on the Ipad3 Wi-Fi only device for turn by directions. Part of new IOS6.0 upgrade.

Just got back home from a long trip and for the most part the Map app worked beautifully.:)

It seems to update about every fifteen seconds, with a blue ball marker in the center of a blue shaded circular area, the shaded area seems to be the margin of accuracy.

I have the Nav Free app that still has no clue where I am and reports "Poor GPS" most of the time.

I was always told the Wi-Fi only models have no GPS chip but some how my Ipad3 wi-fi only 64 gig can accurately pin point my location and map it correctly.

It picks up information from wi-fi access points even if you are not connected to the wi-fi access point. There is no GPS chip in a Wi-Fi only iPad.

Edit: Here is a thread I just found which explains it pretty well: http://forums.macrum...d.php?t=1434771

Edited by TBlazer07, 23 September 2012 - 01:51 PM.
Added link

#289 OFFLINE   Matt9876

Matt9876

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,006 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 03:16 PM

It picks up information from wi-fi access points even if you are not connected to the wi-fi access point. There is no GPS chip in a Wi-Fi only iPad.

Edit: Here is a thread I just found which explains it pretty well: http://forums.macrum...d.php?t=1434771

My trip was in some very rural areas, I would call what I have seen today on the Ipad3 Map app as amazing if not down right magical, especially if it is based on receiving known wi-fi hot spot signal information.

Thanks for the information.

Edit: Made a typo on the original post, My gen 3 Ipad is 32 gig not 64.

Edited by Matt9876, 23 September 2012 - 04:56 PM.

#290 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,156 posts
  • LocationGalactic Empire

Posted 23 September 2012 - 03:37 PM

Pretty sure that is not correct, will have to check when I get back to the office with a couple of people that have a blackberry and a android. Found this also

http://arstechnica.c...print-iphone-5/

"A long-standing feature of the CDMA networks used by Verizon and Sprint is they don't permit simultaneous use of a data connection and a voice connection. Due to their use of the data-only EVDO standard (instead of the data plus voice EVDV alternative), any inbound or outbound call forces the phone to drop the data connection and revert to a CDMA connection."

this seems to indicate that no phone on verizon or sprint can do it

That is incorrect! My Sprint HTC EVO LTE does, in fact, do simultaneous voice and data. Period.

FAITH: I find the lack of it disturbing.

Opinions are my own but should be those of all Americans, who would be much better off intellectually, psychologically, and emotionally if that were the case.

#291 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 03:49 PM

It simply requires a third antenna for CDMA networks. Those other Verizon phones have it, the iPhone doesn't. Apple chose to leave it out, not Verizon.
DTV = Digital Television

#292 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,156 posts
  • LocationGalactic Empire

Posted 23 September 2012 - 03:50 PM

To whom are you directing your reply there?

FAITH: I find the lack of it disturbing.

Opinions are my own but should be those of all Americans, who would be much better off intellectually, psychologically, and emotionally if that were the case.

#293 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,507 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 23 September 2012 - 03:58 PM

That is incorrect! My Sprint HTC EVO LTE does, in fact, do simultaneous voice and data. Period.

Yeah, even the article he posted said that other phones on Verizon and Sprint can do it, though of course it depends on the area. If you're not connected to an LTE network on Verizon, then a phone that is capable of it, can't do them simultaneously.

#294 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,662 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 23 September 2012 - 04:03 PM

I have a wifi iPAD 2.

Prior to iOS 6, location based services worked on it when connected to a wifi signal. Now it does not...

Am I doing something wrong, or is this a change that came for everyone who upgraded to iOS 6?!

~Alan

#295 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,835 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 04:37 PM

I am not sure about your device, but location services work just fine in my wi-fI only iPad.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#296 OFFLINE   raott

raott

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,121 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 05:03 PM

Anyone else having a "No Sim Card" issue? Wife's phone worked fine yesterday, this morning it gave the No Sim message. Took a hard reboot to get it to work again, only to get the same message a few hours later. Had to reboot again.

Did some looking around and it appears others are having the same issue.
SONY KDS-55A3000 and a couple of Vizios; SWM16; HR34 NR; HR22 NR; HR20-700 NR; H23-600 NR; R22 NR

#297 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,662 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 23 September 2012 - 05:11 PM

I am not sure about your device, but location services work just fine in my wi-fI only iPad.

Darn...

I made changes to my wireless setup last week as well... maybe it was something I did there... :confused:

I'll use my iPAD somewhere else on Tuesday, and see if it works there to hopefully troubleshoot whether it's my iPAD or my home network.

~Alan

#298 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,247 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 24 September 2012 - 05:27 AM

Darn...

I made changes to my wireless setup last week as well... maybe it was something I did there... :confused:

I'll use my iPAD somewhere else on Tuesday, and see if it works there to hopefully troubleshoot whether it's my iPAD or my home network.

~Alan

Turn off Location Services, turn the iPad off then on, turn on Location Services and see how it goes.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#299 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,177 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 24 September 2012 - 05:30 AM

We will be upgrading our 4's to 5's next month. I can't imagine an iPhone 5 owner going with any network other than Verizon.

I can. My family plan is over $50/mo cheaper with Sprint *and* I have unlimited data to each of the 3 iPhones on my plan.

Yes, I switched from Verizon to Sprint for those exact reasons.

#300 OFFLINE   Herdfan

Herdfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,969 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 06:33 AM

I can't imagine an iPhone 5 owner going with any network other than Verizon.

Then don't go to college at WVU in Morgantown WV/ We were driving through there this weekend. AT&T had 4-5 bars of "4G", Verizon iPad was Searching.....

In a big college town. Really?

Did some some real world experience with the Maps app, and I can officially say it sucks. Horrible. Couldn't find businesses in a major city. Horrible, just horrible. Can't wait for a Google Maps app. The web interface is better, but not what we had.

My Setup

Why can I get to the "Adult's Only" area faster than I can get to the "ToDo" List?  DirecTV, that is messed up!!!

spam firewall