Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

The iPhone 5/iOS 6 thread

• Please log in to reply
347 replies to this topic

#301 OFFLINE   jdskycaster

jdskycaster

Legend

• Registered
  • 272 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 08:28 AM

I can. My family plan is over $50/mo cheaper with Sprint *and* I have unlimited data to each of the 3 iPhones on my plan.

Yes, I switched from Verizon to Sprint for those exact reasons.

+1. Three 4s phones on Sprint because of the ability to share an unlimited data plan. If the monthly rates on data phones go any higher everyone in the family will get a cricket phone and learn to live with it.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#302 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,254 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 24 September 2012 - 09:25 AM

Anyone get the iPhone 5 to connect to a Hyundai via the USB cable?

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#303 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,940 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 24 September 2012 - 09:26 AM

Then don't go to college at WVU in Morgantown WV/ We were driving through there this weekend. AT&T had 4-5 bars of "4G", Verizon iPad was Searching.....

In a big college town. Really?

Did some some real world experience with the Maps app, and I can officially say it sucks. Horrible. Couldn't find businesses in a major city. Horrible, just horrible. Can't wait for a Google Maps app. The web interface is better, but not what we had.

West Virginia has typically been a pretty weak state for Verizon, though that will be changing. I believe LTE towers were installed on the roof of Hotel Morgan. I think the issues previously was spectrum in the area. I'm not sure if Morgantown is part of it, but last month, Verizon got FCC approval for a major spectrum purchase from other companies.

#304 OFFLINE   Herdfan

Herdfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,983 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 06:45 AM

West Virginia has typically been a pretty weak state for Verizon, though that will be changing.

Yeah, to gain access to the state they bought Alltel's assets here, but were definately late to the game. But they get to claim LTE coverage in Charleston because they have ONE tower downtown lit up. Really? One tower constitutes a market?

Edited by Herdfan, 25 September 2012 - 05:30 PM.

My Setup

Why can I get to the "Adult's Only" area faster than I can get to the "ToDo" List?  DirecTV, that is messed up!!!

#305 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,279 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 25 September 2012 - 08:08 AM

Yeah, to gain access to the state they bought Alltel's assets here, but were definately late to the game. But they get to claim LTE coverage in Charleston because they have ONE tower downtown lit up. Really? One tower constitutes are market?

our - pronounced "hour"

--------------------------

Edit: This post hes been rendered moot (not mute) for all relavent intents and purposes. :confused:

Edited by Nick, 25 September 2012 - 05:44 PM.

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#306 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,817 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 25 September 2012 - 08:55 AM

For those not aware, Apple TV got an update yesterday.

Several new features were added... :)

~Alan

#307 OFFLINE   hancox

hancox

Godfather

• Registered
  • 454 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 09:26 AM

I thought they were still using their fake brand of LTE.

Right idea, wrong acronym.

They were using their HSPA+ network, and designating it "4G" I, and many like me, call this "faux G"

Their LTE (ie real 4G) is competitive.

#308 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,817 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 25 September 2012 - 02:32 PM

Turn off Location Services, turn the iPad off then on, turn on Location Services and see how it goes.

Thanks for the advice, but it didn't fix the problem.

I brought my iPAD to work today, and Location Services is working fine here, so it's apparently not an iOS 6 issue, but most likely related to settings on a new router at home.

I'll do some investigating later this week and see if I can get it working at home again.

~Alan

#309 OFFLINE   bobukcat

bobukcat

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,964 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 03:40 PM

Yeah, even the article he posted said that other phones on Verizon and Sprint can do it, though of course it depends on the area. If you're not connected to an LTE network on Verizon, then a phone that is capable of it, can't do them simultaneously.

This is actually not completely correct (slightly OT I know but I wanted to clarify). There are a select few phones (Thunderbolt, Rezound and GS3 are 3 that I know of) that CAN do simultaneous V&D on Verizon's CDMA/EVDO network. I don't know of an Android LTE device that won't do SV&D in an LTE coverage zone.

#310 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,831 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 04:29 PM

No cheap cables any time soon... At least not good ones that will do what they are supposed to do.

http://www.engadget....mart-connector/
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#311 OFFLINE   Herdfan

Herdfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,983 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 05:29 PM

Yeah, to gain access to the state they bought Alltel's assets here, but were definately late to the game. But they get to claim LTE coverage in Charleston because they have ONE tower downtown lit up. Really? One tower constitutes are market?

our - pronounced "hour"

Oops. It was supposed to read "a" market. Fixed.

My Setup

Why can I get to the "Adult's Only" area faster than I can get to the "ToDo" List?  DirecTV, that is messed up!!!

#312 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,975 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 05:48 PM

No cheap cables any time soon... At least not good ones that will do what they are supposed to do.

http://www.engadget....mart-connector/

Yep, I bought 3 on Saturday. Now have 4, and probably in service for next 5+ years.
DirecTV: Genie, H25, CCK, GenioGo, SWiM-16 & SWiM-8, DECA to Gigabit Switch with FiOS (75/35)
FiOS: Roamio Pro's (2), Roamio Plus, Mini's (4) with Ultimate HD (My Roamio Thoughts)

#313 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,831 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 06:46 PM

Yep, I bought 3 on Saturday. Now have 4, and probably in service for next 5+ years.

Yeah, I'm gonna pick up at least 1 more cable for my "go bag" and an adapter so I can just use the old cables I have systematically placed here at home and at my office.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#314 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,940 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 25 September 2012 - 07:42 PM

Hopefully cheap cables come soon, I'm always being asked for cables, for an "emergency" and never know if I'll get it back.

At least ones that can charge.

#315 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,831 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 06:56 AM

Hopefully cheap cables come soon, I'm always being asked for cables, for an "emergency" and never know if I'll get it back.

At least ones that can charge.

Did you read the article I posted? No cheapies...

"No matter the wizardry inside, Bradstock doesn't see any cut-rate Lightning alternatives being useful in the near future: as it's unlikely that anyone outside of Cupertino knows how the authentication works at this stage, clone cables may amount to little more than heaps of metal and plastic."
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#316 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,940 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 26 September 2012 - 08:53 AM

Did you read the article I posted? No cheapies...

"No matter the wizardry inside, Bradstock doesn't see any cut-rate Lightning alternatives being useful in the near future: as it's unlikely that anyone outside of Cupertino knows how the authentication works at this stage, clone cables may amount to little more than heaps of metal and plastic."

Right, but it sounded like it was mostly the data. For my purposes, I don't care about that. I just want a cheap cable that is safe to use for charging purposes.

#317 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,831 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 10:03 AM

Right, but it sounded like it was mostly the data. For my purposes, I don't care about that. I just want a cheap cable that is safe to use for charging purposes.

Sounds to me like the connector, with the authentication chip, determines what contacts are for charging based on how you've inserted the cable. Not sure how you can do a cheap cable without the chip with that being the case.

For example say pins 1 and 2 are for charging and 7 and 8 are for data. You then unplug and plug back in reversed now what were 7 and 8 are 1 and 2 and what were 1 and 2 are now 7 and 8. If that chip isn't there to determine you've flipped the connector you could be sending power where you should be sending data. Not a good thing.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#318 OFFLINE   dettxw

dettxw

MRVing

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,025 posts
  • LocationChoctaw, OK

Posted 26 September 2012 - 10:04 AM

So does the iphone not do simultaneous voice and data?? I'm unsure after skimming the posts.
Or does it depend on the carrier and/or LTE availability?

Anyway, I've been rocking my HTC Rezound on Verizon LTE for a year here in OKC and couldn't do without simultaneous voice and data, use it all the time.
(Peruse the show times while arranging a date, view the radar while talking to the kiddo at work to warn him of weather alerts, check incoming emails for that important message while talking, etc.)
There is a drawback at this time though, Verizon uses the old 1x system for voice and the quality is lacking.
Maybe it'll get better when Verizon switches to VOIP over LTE sometime in the future.

-Steve- Subscriber since Sept 1998  My Complete Setup 

SWM16 / HR44-500 (2TB & AM21) / HR34-700 (3TB & AM21) / HR24-500 (2TB eSATA) / C31 via WCCK / C41 x2 / C41W / H25-700

#319 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,831 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 10:12 AM

So does the iphone not do simultaneous voice and data?? I'm unsure after skimming the posts.
Or does it depend on the carrier and/or LTE availability?

On AT&T you can do simultaneous voice and data. On Verizon and Sprint you cannot do simultaneous voice and data.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#320 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,239 posts
  • LocationGalactic Empire

Posted 26 September 2012 - 10:21 AM

On AT&T you can do simultaneous voice and data. On Verizon and Sprint you cannot do simultaneous voice and data.

That is not correct. I have an HTC EVO LTE with Sprint and am perfectly able to do simultaneous voice and data and have been since I got the phone in May.

FAITH: I find the lack of it disturbing.

Opinions are my own but should be those of all Americans, who would be much better off intellectually, psychologically, and emotionally if that were the case.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...