Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

The iPhone 5/iOS 6 thread

• Please log in to reply
347 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Topic Starter
  • Administrators
  • 17,163 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 12:06 PM

Same price as the 4S. $199 for 16GB. $299 for 32GB, $399 for 64GB.

Pre-orders start on Friday the 14th. Shipping on September 21st.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,631 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 12 September 2012 - 12:21 PM

iOS 6 out on the 19th...

~Alan

#23 OFFLINE   TBoneit

TBoneit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,250 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 12:56 PM

I am amazed that people want to replace a 2 year old phone.

A Phone should last for many years.

Of course I am easily amazed. I am still surprised that people want to take a phone with them. I wouldn't even answer the phone in the daytime if it wasn't required by work.:)

I go home at night and look at the caller ID, Verizon Wired, and mumble to myself, sells call, scam, spam, done. Yup no important calls missed there.
Remember when your kids were the TV set's remote control?

#24 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,646 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 12:56 PM

Well it seems like the event is over. I'm disappointed that there was essentially nothing new to learn other than the release date and prices. I'm also wondering how much those new sync cables and adapters are going to run me.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#25 OFFLINE   TBoneit

TBoneit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,250 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 12:58 PM

Stuart, Stay with the old phone. Does it still make phone calls? Why change.
Remember when your kids were the TV set's remote control?

#26 OFFLINE   austen0316

austen0316

AllStar

• Registered
  • 72 posts
  • LocationRobbinsville, NJ

Posted 12 September 2012 - 12:59 PM

iPhone 5 is very disappointing. Glad I got the SIII

#27 OFFLINE   Garyunc

Garyunc

Godfather

• Registered
  • 310 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 01:00 PM

4G could be reason enough to upgrade...
DirecTV customer since 1995

#28 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Topic Starter
  • Administrators
  • 17,163 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 01:00 PM

Well it seems like the event is over. I'm disappointed that there was essentially nothing new to learn other than the release date and prices. I'm also wondering how much those new sync cables and adapters are going to run me.

Yeah, I don't expect the cables will be cheap. As it stands now I will need to buy at least 3 cables and 1 adapter.

#29 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Topic Starter
  • Administrators
  • 17,163 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 01:06 PM

Of course I am easily amazed. I am still surprised that people want to take a phone with them. I wouldn't even answer the phone in the daytime if it wasn't required by work.:)

I go home at night and look at the caller ID, Verizon Wired, and mumble to myself, sells call, scam, spam, done. Yup no important calls missed there.

That's how I was but you have to understand that smartphones are no longer just phones. I use mine for e-mail, music, surfing, pictures, doing something on my computer at home (screen sharing), GPS directions, checking my security cameras, checking DBSTalk, adjusting my thermostat before I get home, entering stuff into my checkbook, checking my calendar, and of course making calls.

So you see, just making phones calls isn't enough these days.

#30 OFFLINE   Phil T

Phil T

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,172 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 01:13 PM

That's how I was but you have to understand that smartphones are no longer just phones. I use mine for e-mail, music, surfing, pictures, doing something on my computer at home (screen sharing), GPS directions, checking my security cameras, checking DBSTalk, adjusting my thermostat before I get home, entering stuff into my checkbook, checking my calendar, and of course making calls.

So you see, just making phones calls isn't enough these days.

You forgot taking pictures and videos. I very seldom have a need to carry a camera and can e-mail or post photos and videos easily.

(You did mention pictures. My old eyes didn't see it before I posted.)

Edited by Phil T, 12 September 2012 - 01:16 PM.
oops

#31 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,936 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 01:19 PM

Lighter, thinner, bigger screen, better battery life, LTE ...

The phone is my buddy and with me everywhere.

I'm ready to order.

DirecTV: Genie, H25, CCK, GenioGo, SWiM-16 & SWiM-8, DECA to Gigabit Switch with FiOS (75/35)
FiOS: Roamio Pro's (2), Roamio Plus, Mini's (4) with Ultimate HD (My Roamio Thoughts)

DirecTV HD Channel Listing - 2011 DBSTalk HD Poll - 2010 DBSTalk HD Poll - Satellite & National HD Alerts

#32 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,631 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 01:23 PM

Should and would are two different things... ;)

Everybody has different lifestyles. I don't have home phone service, so my cell phone is my only phone.

I live in a rural area. There are many places around here where one would not want to be without a cell phone.

I started to make a joke, but I'm afraid it might come off as serious, so I'll let it go. The point is that EVERYBODY is different...

~Alan

#33 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 17,823 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 12 September 2012 - 01:37 PM

Should and would are two different things... ;)

Apple and their fetish for batteries that aren't user replaceable has always made the lifespan relatively short.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#34 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Topic Starter
  • Administrators
  • 17,163 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 01:46 PM

Apple and their fetish for batteries that aren't user replaceable has always made the lifespan relatively short.

That all depends on how you look at it. My wife used an iPhone 3G for almost 3 years without battery issues. By that time however, the 3G was technically oudated so we sold it off for the latest iPhone.

Personally I haven't missed the non-user replaceable battery. Battery technology is much better than it was say 5 years ago. By the time the battery goes bad (3-5 years), it's time for a new phone anyway.

#35 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,496 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 01:47 PM

$29 for the adapter, $19 for a new cable. And I read an article last week saying Apple isn't releasing the rights until 2013 so no cheap alternatives can be made. :(
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#36 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,496 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 01:50 PM

I'm not super impressed by the iPhone 5 either. If I do get it I'm also looking at making a move to Sprint for unlimited data and the NASCAR features. No LTE for Sprint in my area yet so I'd be waiting until November. Also I hear Sprint's LTE is a bit slower than AT&T's LTE. No choices are easy are they? :lol:

I'm still thinking Galaxy S III as well but then there goes the money I've invested in apps for my iPhones over the years.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#37 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,175 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 01:52 PM

That all depends on how you look at it. My wife used an iPhone 3G for almost 3 years without battery issues. By that time however, the 3G was technically oudated so we sold it off for the latest iPhone.

Personally I haven't missed the non-user replaceable battery. Battery technology is much better than it was say 5 years ago. By the time the battery goes bad (3-5 years), it's time for a new phone anyway.

My granddaughter uses an original iPad, purchased by her mom in 2010. She was here a couple of weekends ago and used it for about 6-7 hours total Fri-Sun. I don't know how charged it was when she got here, but before she went home I checked and it still had over 50% charge left. I was pretty impressed!
/steve

#38 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,631 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 01:52 PM

I was thinking of my Samsung smartphone when I posted that... :rolleyes:

~Alan

#39 OFFLINE   boukengreen

boukengreen

Legend

• Registered
  • 209 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 03:08 PM

i'll pronly get one in november when my contract is up i'm still using a 3gs right now
There are some things arrows can't kill, for everything else there's Master Sword.

#40 ONLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,880 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 12 September 2012 - 04:03 PM

It's so disappointing they'll probably sell only 15-20 million in the next week!

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

spam firewall