Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

The iPhone 5/iOS 6 thread

• Please log in to reply
347 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   klang

klang

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,268 posts
  • LocationNear Houston, TX

Posted 12 September 2012 - 04:15 PM

It's so disappointing they'll probably sell only 15-20 million in the next week!

Indeed, the reaction was much the same when the 4S was announced. How many millions have they sold?

I'll be ordering mine on Friday if I can get through. :)

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   jdskycaster

jdskycaster

Legend

• Registered
  • 272 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 04:28 PM

Wife and two kids all have 4s and they are only 6 months old. They will not be getting the cinco anytime soon.

Sing it Steve!

#43 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,202 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 12 September 2012 - 04:41 PM

Wife and two kids all have 4s and they are only 6 months old. They will not be getting the cinco anytime soon.

[/URL]

Wow! your six month old kids have iPhones!

:D

I'm a few decades past that and plan to 'scrape by' with my 4S. For at least a few weeks.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#44 OFFLINE   Rob77

Rob77

Godfather

• Registered
  • 255 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 04:57 PM

Well, today is the announcement. Will you be getting your iPhone 5?

I plan on ordering through the Apple Store online. Has worked for me in the past. Seems like you almost have to do it when pre-orders start or you don't get a phone for several weeks.

All you Apple Fan Boys are like a bunch of sheep...you follow along and take comfort in what Apple tells you to do and your fellow sheep give you comfort that you are doing the right thing.

WAKE UP and see what other alternatives are out there. Have any of you even considered the Nokia 920.....I doubt it....probably you don't even know what it is......both Android and Windows Phone 8 has some really cool stuff.

Oh well, this is like talking to a brick wall :)

#45 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,975 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 05:14 PM

All you Apple Fan Boys are like a bunch of sheep...you follow along and take comfort in what Apple tells you to do and your fellow sheep give you comfort that you are doing the right thing.

WAKE UP and see what other alternatives are out there. Have any of you even considered the Nokia 920.....I doubt it....probably you don't even know what it is......both Android and Windows Phone 8 has some really cool stuff.

Absolutely.

Sign me up. A very proud Sheep. A Happy Sheep.

I have an iPhone, the wife and kids have iPhone's, a bunch of family and friends have iPhones, it's fabulous.

iMessage is great, we love group chatting while we're in different geographies.

Find My Friends is great, we can always track each other down.

Total integration with our iPad's is great, especially the App compatibility and iMessage integration.

Everything can be projected on the TV with Apple TV, it's all linked together.

We can share contacts, and soon share Photo's, with Photostream sharing.

Photostream in general is great ... I snap a photo and seconds later it's on my iPad and PC, and now my wife's iPad as well if I share it ... and Photostream on the Apple TV for family viewing on the big HD screen.

And the second that they release a newer Operating System, I click and I get it on my device, and the whole family gets it at the same instant. No dependence on the wireless carrier.

This stuff couldn't be better, or easier .... since we all have the same stuff ... and the more people that get iPhone's then the better it gets because we all have identical gadgets, that work in perfect harmony within the Apple ecosystem.

And almost every App known to man is available, and comes out on iOS usually first, including every DirecTV App.

And upgrading every year is fabulous, easy to transition, guaranteed once a year the latest-and-greatest ... I backup on the old device and restore to the new device, cool as can be.

And there's also other options for people that prefer other stuff, who prefer Android or Blackberry or whatever.

But for me ... I love being a Sheep. Sign me up, it couldn't be better just the way it is ... with a new upgrade every year.

Edited by Sixto, 12 September 2012 - 05:36 PM.

DirecTV: Genie, H25, CCK, GenioGo, SWiM-16 & SWiM-8, DECA to Gigabit Switch with FiOS (75/35)
FiOS: Roamio Pro's (2), Roamio Plus, Mini's (4) with Ultimate HD (My Roamio Thoughts)

#46 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Topic Starter
  • Administrators
  • 17,176 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 05:15 PM

Of course we look at what else is out there. :) The thing that most Apple haters don't understand is that their devices all work together as an ecosystem. If I switched to another type of phone, it would immediately be orphaned from the rest of my gadgets. Not good since I rely on each device to do it's job and sync with my other devices.

I get a kick out of people who hate Apple. Usually they have not even tried one of their phones or computers and just hate them for the sake of hate. Cracks me up.

#47 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,202 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 12 September 2012 - 05:33 PM

So, why bother? Go into the Ford forum and talk about how great is Yugo, might as well.

I love Sixto's post; I don't have enough patience to write such a piece.

If I be a sheeple, then, a single baaaaaaaaaaah to you, Sir!
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#48 OFFLINE   naijai

naijai

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 07:13 PM

Of course we look at what else is out there. :) The thing that most Apple haters don't understand is that their devices all work together as an ecosystem. If I switched to another type of phone, it would immediately be orphaned from the rest of my gadgets. Not good since I rely on each device to do it's job and sync with my other devices.

I get a kick out of people who hate Apple. Usually they have not even tried one of their phones or computers and just hate them for the sake of hate. Cracks me up.

I have to concede to the fact that Apple's ecosystem is very well planned and the integration is excellent but i am Windows fan all the way because Microsfot had an ecosytem they should have built on years ago but let Apple get ahead and dominate the market really quick. THey are getting there with Windows 8, XBOX, Windows Phone & Skydrive. I do have an iPad , which will be replaced by a Surface Tablet eventually, so i understand why those who stand by Apple do so and will not Judge (only make fun :D) anyone who make the decision on which platform to go with Windows, iOS or Android :nono2:
Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm.
Winston Churchill

DIRECTV employee since May 2003.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views DO NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#49 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,911 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 12 September 2012 - 07:13 PM

The fragmentation of Android is one of the things that irritates me. IOS 6 even works on the 3GS. The way they used to treat iPod Touch users used to really irritate me though. Fortunately those days are gone.

#50 OFFLINE   jdskycaster

jdskycaster

Legend

• Registered
  • 272 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 07:26 PM

So we have the three 4s phones and three ipads and they are useful once they are jailbroken. So yes, I think they are good devices but not inside the apple ecosystem like many seem to be hooked on.

I happen to despise itunes after being a zune user for so many years but connection and control of an ithing in my auto's has become the standard so using an ipod or iphone in the car is a bit more convenient than using a zune.

#51 OFFLINE   Garyunc

Garyunc

Godfather

• Registered
  • 310 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 09:09 PM

The people who hate Apple remind of the people who hated Michael Jordan when he was he was the best player in the NBA :)

Love my iphone and ipad but I prefer a windows laptop any day of the week. Had a mac and was not happy with it. So I am not a total fan boy but I do love the iphones and the upgrade looks good to me.
DirecTV customer since 1995

#52 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,975 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 09:30 PM

All Windows 7 Pro here too.
DirecTV: Genie, H25, CCK, GenioGo, SWiM-16 & SWiM-8, DECA to Gigabit Switch with FiOS (75/35)
FiOS: Roamio Pro's (2), Roamio Plus, Mini's (4) with Ultimate HD (My Roamio Thoughts)

#53 OFFLINE   dmurphy

dmurphy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,676 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 10:28 PM

Holding off for now (whoa!)

Haven't wrung enough out of the matching his-n-hers iPhone 4 handsets to spend $600 replacing them ... ($299/each)

I did just switch to the VZW 'Share Everything' plan so I can upgrade anytime I'm ready; I'm actually saving $15-18/mo by switching, and I've never, ever used more than 2gb of data in a month.

If I come close to my 4gb limit, I'll switch on the LTE MiFi and keep going. Shouldn't be an issue - wifi is almost everywhere I am, and I expect that to significantly improve over time ....l

No reason for me to upgrade yet, but nice to know I can if I need to.

#54 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,198 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 13 September 2012 - 05:21 AM

Full disclosure - I'm a Windows developer. Up until last year, I'd had Windows smartphone exclusively since 2005 when I combined my cell phone and WinCE Axim X5 by buying a Palm Treo 700w. I'd been a Verizon Wireless customer since 1990. Last year, when all my contracts were up on my family plan, I made the switch to Sprint and the iPhone for all three of us because of price, usability and the App ecosystem. Not to be insulting but my wife has gotten SO much more use out of her iPhone than her HTC Ozone (which Verizon had a mandatory $30/mo surcharge because it COULD be a smartphone - never mind that she didn't want the feature - just the phone becuase of it's size and keyboard).

I'm one year into my 4s ownership and I'm happy with the iPhone 5. I'm glad that they didn't jump on the NFC bandwagon as I'm not sure that's really going to take off - I think people are going to have too many privacy concerns, imagined or otherwise.

They improved the screen, the battery life, the operating system and, now that LTE has had some time to gain traction, they've added that. And notice how they waited until they had a chip that wouldn't drain your battery in minutes?

I'm going to get iOS 6. I like that. Microsoft lied to me when they said that my HTC Touch Pro 2 would get WinMo 7 - then they said it wouldn't, and WinMo 7 wouldn't be upward compatible - and WinMo 8 will obsolete all that.. Verizon lost a 21 year customer paying over $200/mo becuase of all that.

Android is the only real competition. When you see an ad for something, there's always the "Get our App in the AppStore" and MOST of the time, there's an icon right next to it for an Android version. That, more than anything else got me off of Windows - and remember, I *develop* Windows software. But I *use* a phone.

So I'm happy. I'll get iOS 6 and, next year, when the iPhone 5s or 6 or whatever rolls around, I'll have been on my contract for 2 years. I'll be able to get a new iPhone with the latest bits, plenty of time for accessories to have come out, and my 4s will get iOS 7 (most likely since even the 3GS is getting iOS 6) and it will be my "backup" - if I, my wife or my daughter lose our iPhone or it breaks, etc., we'll have a spare iPhone to activate immediately while waiting for a replacement to arrive.

All in all, it was a good day.

...and I'll probably pick up a pair of those new "ear pods".

#55 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,575 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 06:02 AM

...and I'll probably pick up a pair of those new "ear pods".

Those intrigue me as well. Being a self-proclaimed "audiophile" (:P), I'm always on the lookout for better quality sound. It's hard to imagine Apple's figured something out in an affordable design that the dedicated audio guys haven't, but there's always hope!

Edited by Steve, 13 September 2012 - 07:10 AM.

/steve

#56 OFFLINE   Herdfan

Herdfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,983 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 07:01 AM

+1 Spot on!

Yes there are other ways to get similar things, but Apple just makes stuff that works well together.

Back when I had the original iPhone and the first Droids were coming out, I did go look at one. Wasn't impressed. Had the Galaxy III been out then, I may have been more impressed, but it wasn't. Turns out it was just copied from the iPhone.

Stuart,

My Home button on my original 4 is getting a little flaky as well. I will pre-order from ATT tomorrow. With the 4, I got it a day early. Hoping at least I get it on Friday and not have to wait until Monday.

Now LifeProof just needs to get a case for it.

My Setup

Why can I get to the "Adult's Only" area faster than I can get to the "ToDo" List?  DirecTV, that is messed up!!!

#57 OFFLINE   4HiMarks

4HiMarks

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,312 posts
  • LocationLaurel, MD

Posted 13 September 2012 - 07:08 AM

I'd been a Verizon Wireless customer since 1990.

This is a very good trick since Verizon Wireless didn't begin operations until April 4, 2000.
Dish subscriber since 2000, HD since 2004.

#58 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,276 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 13 September 2012 - 07:20 AM

Verizon was many things before it became Verizon: PacTel, AirTouch, ad infinitum...

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#59 OFFLINE   TBlazer07

TBlazer07

Grumpy Grampy

• Registered
  • 4,777 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 07:25 AM

This is a very good trick since Verizon Wireless didn't begin operations until April 4, 2000.

You're playing with semantics. That's like saying AT&T Wireless didn't begin until 2007. Obviously he meant he was with the company that eventually became Verizon Wireless. I've been with "what is now called" AT&T Wireless since the late 80's through umpteen different transitions of corporations & names. I think my very first "commercial mobile phone" service was with Nynex which also eventually became VZW back in the early 80's. Before there were handhelds.

#60 OFFLINE   Herdfan

Herdfan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,983 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 09:30 AM

That's like saying AT&T Wireless didn't begin until 2007.

I have actually been with AT&T twice. First I was with ICN (Independent Cellular Network which later became Alltel which here was swallowed up by VW) Then Cellular One came to the area and a friend from college was doing sales for them so to help him out, I switched to them. They got swallowed up by AT&T at some point in the mid 90's, so I became an AT&T Wireless customer for the first time. The in 2004, AT&T Wireless merged with Cingular and I became a Cingular customer. Then in 2007 or so, AT&T acquired Bell South and their interest in Cingular and it was renamed AT&T.

So I have been with my cellular service (say 92) longer than I have been with DirecTV (Sept 1994). I guess you could say I don't like to change. :)

And my buddy who I helped out way back then, is now head of sales in our territory. So I do have an inside contact if I need one.

My Setup

Why can I get to the "Adult's Only" area faster than I can get to the "ToDo" List?  DirecTV, that is messed up!!!

Protected By... spam firewall...And...