Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

The iPhone 5/iOS 6 thread

• Please log in to reply
347 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,967 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 13 September 2012 - 09:50 AM

All you Apple Fan Boys are like a bunch of sheep...you follow along and take comfort in what Apple tells you to do and your fellow sheep give you comfort that you are doing the right thing.

WAKE UP and see what other alternatives are out there. Have any of you even considered the Nokia 920.....I doubt it....probably you don't even know what it is......both Android and Windows Phone 8 has some really cool stuff.

Oh well, this is like talking to a brick wall :)

I'm an Android user... I want to switch to the iPhone. :D

~Alan

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#62 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,059 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 09:57 AM

I'm an Android user... I want to switch to the iPhone. :D

And we welcome you to the fold. I'll teach you the handshake later. :D
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#63 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,967 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 10:05 AM

And we welcome you to the fold. I'll teach you the handshake later. :D

Good... because becoming an iPad (2) owner apparently wasn't enough to warrant the instruction! :)

~Alan

#64 OFFLINE   HDJulie

HDJulie

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 858 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 10:06 AM

I put ICS on my Touchpad to try Android. When I did that, I discovered that I am officially "old". Despite having a Masters in CS, working as a programmer for almost 20 years, & always wanting the newest gadgets, I could not figure out how to do most things in Android. It was just too much effort :-).

I'm ordering my iPhone 5 from AT&T tomorrow.

#65 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,660 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 10:19 AM

Good... because becoming an iPad (2) owner apparently wasn't enough to warrant the instruction! :)

Big difference now is you only shake with 2 fingers, instead of all 5 (required for the older iOS devices). :P
/steve

#66 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,352 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 13 September 2012 - 11:12 AM

Rumor has it that the official iPhone 5 owner handshake consists of a single digit, directed toward Redmond.

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#67 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,340 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 13 September 2012 - 11:25 AM

I was thinking of my Samsung smartphone when I posted that... :rolleyes:

~Alan

That's interesting. My Droid X just keeps chugging along and I was considering a Sammy. Not a big fan of anything Sammy except for their BD players and I've been worrying about making the wrong choice. The new iPhone has the same size screen as my Droid X. My wife has an iPhone 4S and it's too small for me. I'm just used to a larger screen.

Rich

#68 ONLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,262 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 13 September 2012 - 11:27 AM

~Alan

Your avatar shows a full head of hair. Did Apple not send you the head shaving kit??:D
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#69 ONLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,262 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 13 September 2012 - 11:33 AM

That's interesting. My Droid X just keeps chugging along and I was considering a Sammy. Not a big fan of anything Sammy except for their BD players and I've been worrying about making the wrong choice. The new iPhone has the same size screen as my Droid X. My wife has an iPhone 4S and it's too small for me. I'm just used to a larger screen.

Rich

Why not just use an iPad with Skype?! :eek2:
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#70 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,340 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 13 September 2012 - 11:38 AM

Of course we look at what else is out there. :) The thing that most Apple haters don't understand is that their devices all work together as an ecosystem. If I switched to another type of phone, it would immediately be orphaned from the rest of my gadgets. Not good since I rely on each device to do it's job and sync with my other devices.

I get a kick out of people who hate Apple. Usually they have not even tried one of their phones or computers and just hate them for the sake of hate. Cracks me up.

First disagreement with you. Had to happen sometime. I wouldn't trade my Droid for my wife's 4S. I don't have any use for an iPad, gave it to my son and I'm happy with my Windows computers. I used Macs for years at work and loved them, but the prices...always the prices. I do understand the Mac tax.

All that said, the new iPhone interests me. The screen is as large as my Droid's, which was the largest one I could find when I bought it. The NY Daily News has a real size picture of the 5 in today's issue and it's the same size as my Droid. Same size screen, I mean.

Rich

#71 OFFLINE   trdrjeff

trdrjeff

Icon

• Registered
  • 779 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 11:47 AM

You Droid X screen is still larger than the Iphone 5, 4.3" vs 4"

I too was hesitant to go to Sammy after owning a Motorola DX, but so far I am happy with the Galaxy Nexus. But I am watching for a GSM version of the RAZR/HD now that I am on Tmo Prepaid
HR20-100
Sharp 52" LCD 1080p
Yamaha YSP Sound Projector fed with Optical
Harmony 700

HR22-100
32" Samsung LED New School

#72 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,340 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 13 September 2012 - 11:50 AM

You're playing with semantics. That's like saying AT&T Wireless didn't begin until 2007. Obviously he meant he was with the company that eventually became Verizon Wireless. I've been with "what is now called" AT&T Wireless since the late 80's through umpteen different transitions of corporations & names. I think my very first "commercial mobile phone" service was with Nynex which also eventually became VZW back in the early 80's. Before there were handhelds.

AT&T cheaper than Verizon? My wife doesn't get as good reception with her AT&T 4S as I do with my Verizon Droid, but I'd get a lot of pleasure if I could drop Verizon. How's the reception on your phone with AT&T?

Rich

#73 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,340 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 13 September 2012 - 11:53 AM

Why not just use an iPad with Skype?! :eek2:

Don't have any use for a tablet. Bothers me, but there it is. My son uses Skype on my/his iPad.

He really uses the iPad.

Rich

#74 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,340 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 13 September 2012 - 12:19 PM

You Droid X screen is still larger than the Iphone 5, 4.3" vs 4"

Then the picture in the News is wrong. I've measured both every way I could think of and the i5 is just a tad bigger each time. I guess I'll have to wait until I can get my hands on a 5 and compare the sizes then. Close enough to interest me in any event.

I too was hesitant to go to Sammy after owning a Motorola DX, but so far I am happy with the Galaxy Nexus. But I am watching for a GSM version of the RAZR/HD now that I am on Tmo Prepaid

I was at a recital recently and I was recording portions of it and the woman in front of me had the Sammy III and the picture was much better on hers than mine. That's what led me to considering a Sammy. Both screens looked about the same size.

Rich

#75 OFFLINE   TBoneit

TBoneit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,290 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 01:06 PM

I can understand having a camera for one reason. If you are involved in a car accident pictures, pictures, pictures. They do help (Unless you were at fault).

I do not, and this in my opinion, see a need for a mobile phone just to be able to call 911. Unless it is a 911 only phone with no monthly fees. No desire in my case for any of the service mentioned by Stewart. I have a Laptop, no webcam fortunately. No interest in anything, including a tablet, with no keyboard. I'm not interested in paying those fees just for a wireless phone.

My landline was still working 4 days later when power was restored. I didn't need to use a car charger or take a charger to work to keep the battery up. It just worked.
Remember when your kids were the TV set's remote control?

#76 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 01:19 PM

Any cell phone will work for emergency 911 as long as it's got power. By law.

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#77 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,967 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 01:36 PM

I can't speak for the newest Samsung phones. Mine is the Fascinate, and it's a mess.

I wanted the iPhone, but Verizon didn't have it at the time. I had the opportunity to play with the Samsung Captivate, so the Fascinate was a front-runner. I tried the Incredible and Droid X, but I wasn't really impressed. The Incredible felt WAY too dinky for a smart-phone, and the Droid X felt WAY too clunky for my tastes, so I settled on the Fascinate.

I went in with some family members on the family plan and we all got a Fascinate. In those early days, it worked pretty good, but future updates made mess after mess of the phone. One of the phones is broken, so I don't know what would have happened with it, but two of the phones have "burn-in"... well, they don't actually, but the phone LOOKS like it does.

My main issues with my phone is reliability.

• Mine repeatedly locks up... which sucks when you're trying to do something like answer a call or text someone. One of the other phones experiences this quite often as well, though not as much as mine.
  • Mine reboots itself three or four times a day. One of the other phones experiences this quite often as well, though not as much as mine.
  • Whether it's due to the lockups or reboots, I will sometimes not know that someone is calling me or sent me a text until some time later.
  • The stock Messaging app is ridiculous. I will have someone text me and not know it. I later found that if you get a third party texting app, it will solve the issue. One of the phones is having to use a third party texting app as well... not really for the missing texts, but every time they use the stock one, it will send out 100 texts of the same thing.
  • Battery life. The multiple reboots really take a bite out of the battery life... not that it's great without them... because using apps for 10 minutes drains the battery something fierce.
  • Notifications. Granted, this is partially the apps fault, and the last couple of versions of iOS 5.x on my iPad haven't been as reliable as it once was, but my phone's pretty bad about them.

I've read multiple other people with this phone experiencing the same issues, and I don't believe the Galaxy SII or SIII has experienced the same amount of issues, so I suspect shoppers of the newer phones may find the Samsung appealing, and I suspect they are good phones. I personally have been tainted by the experience, and would be hesitant to buy another Samsung phone even though I feel I would be safe with the newer models. My iPAD 2 has been a (mostly) wonderful experience... so between that and the ability to sync some of my iPad, iPhone, and Apple TV stuff, as well as other aspects of the user experience, I'm really hoping to work out a way to get an iPhone 5. Though I'm eligible for an upgrade now, it will be a couple of months before I will make a decision given that my monthly bill would increase... and I'm not sure I can justify the added expense.

Your avatar shows a full head of hair. Did Apple not send you the head shaving kit??:D

They decided to let time do it for me I guess! ;)

~Alan

#78 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,967 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 01:39 PM

I do not, and this in my opinion, see a need for a mobile phone just to be able to call 911.

You can consider yourself lucky then... :)

My landline was still working 4 days later when power was restored. I didn't need to use a car charger or take a charger to work to keep the battery up. It just worked.

That's great! :)

~Alan

#79 OFFLINE   TBlazer07

TBlazer07

Grumpy Grampy

• Registered
  • 4,777 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 03:23 PM

AT&T cheaper than Verizon? My wife doesn't get as good reception with her AT&T 4S as I do with my Verizon Droid, but I'd get a lot of pleasure if I could drop Verizon. How's the reception on your phone with AT&T?

Rich

HUH? Methinks you replied to the wrong person. :grin:

#80 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,480 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 13 September 2012 - 07:27 PM

For 4S owners, tell Siri that you want to buy an iPhone tomorrow. The definition of Apple store is quite loose. I never knew one was in my neighborhood. iPhone with a bagel.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...