Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Revolution

• Please log in to reply
307 replies to this topic

#241 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,279 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 05 December 2012 - 09:15 PM

^ Oh, the humanity! :sure:

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#242 OFFLINE   mrro82

mrro82

Legend

• Registered
  • 522 posts
  • LocationThumb web of the mitten :>)

Posted 27 March 2013 - 02:47 PM

Did everybody forget a new episode was on Monday? :) I thought it was pretty decent. Seems like the second half will be better than the first.

#243 OFFLINE   Holydoc

Holydoc

Legend

• Registered
  • 231 posts
  • LocationPanhandle, FL

Posted 27 March 2013 - 02:53 PM

Did everybody forget a new episode was on Monday? :) I thought it was pretty decent. Seems like the second half will be better than the first.

First show of the second half basically negated the entire first half. I am seriously debating removing this one from my "to watch" list.

#244 OFFLINE   tsmacro

tsmacro

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,160 posts
  • LocationEast Central Indiana

Posted 27 March 2013 - 04:52 PM

Got it on my DVR, haven't watched yet. But I did notice that it did come back to half-way decent ratings, I think in about the same range as it had before so that's at least an encouraging sign.

"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair." - Douglas Adams

"Who would rule a nation when he could have easier work, such as carrying water uphill in a sieve?" - Robert Jordan

#245 OFFLINE   mrro82

mrro82

Legend

• Registered
  • 522 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 05:34 PM

First show of the second half basically negated the entire first half. I am seriously debating removing this one from my "to watch" list.

Just out of curiosity, what didn't you like because i thought the exact opposite?

#246 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,203 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 28 March 2013 - 04:46 AM

I *really* want to like this show. But they keep doing "bonehead" things with writing inconsistencies that infuriate me at the same time.

Who trained those helicopter pilots? If they're old pilots, how long did they spend "getting the feel" back?

Who maintained those choppers for 15 years and how?

Earlier, they complained of having to use muskets. If they were so limited in the modernity of arms, why did they have such high-power and high-caliber guns available for the choppers?

You *do* know those rockets probably wouldn't work after 15 years of unmaintained disuse, yes? (At least the 'rebel' had an explanation for why HIS might work)

Never mind the Hollywood-trope of not really knowing what "firing from behind cover" looks like.

...and if the Mom knew about the blackout IN ADVANCE - she had to given what she removed from the dead body and the fact that it was implanted over a year before said blackout - why has she waited this long before doing anything?

And about her recent activities...

Did she care how many people would die to save her son by giving "the amplifier" away?

How did they have all the parts she needed?

Does anyone remember intricate technical details of stuff after 15 years of not doing anything about it? ...sufficient enough that you could, say, solder up some printed circuit boards, wire up power transformers (with parts that should have been covered in 15 years of rust) and test it all out?

...and all of that is before the predictable Hollywood writing (save the victim only to kill him off later).

#247 OFFLINE   Holydoc

Holydoc

Legend

• Registered
  • 231 posts
  • LocationPanhandle, FL

Posted 28 March 2013 - 06:56 AM

Just out of curiosity, what didn't you like because i thought the exact opposite?

I did not like investing a whole season suspending belief on the sole premise that these characters needed to save the boy only to have the boy killed first episode of the second season. Now there is no motivation for this group to carry on. None of them ever wanted to join the revolution. None of them should have any faith in their mother that left them or their uncle that never got in touch with them.

On top of that you have the helicopters, the SAMs, the rockets, and lord knows what else that everyone is suddenly proficient with. Not to continue on too much more but you also have STEALTH horse and wagons that can ride right into a dual Helicopter fire fight and deliver weapons to save the day.

I hope that gives you some insight into my disappointment. Like DJLong, I want to like this show. They are just making it so dang hard to do it.

#248 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,917 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 28 March 2013 - 07:31 AM

DJ, You should probably cut your losses and move on. This show is about theatrics, not accuracy. If the latter is that important I don't think this show is ever going to be satisfying to you.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#249 OFFLINE   mrro82

mrro82

Legend

• Registered
  • 522 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 02:22 PM

I did not like investing a whole season suspending belief on the sole premise that these characters needed to save the boy only to have the boy killed first episode of the second season. Now there is no motivation for this group to carry on. None of them ever wanted to join the revolution. None of them should have any faith in their mother that left them or their uncle that never got in touch with them.

On top of that you have the helicopters, the SAMs, the rockets, and lord knows what else that everyone is suddenly proficient with. Not to continue on too much more but you also have STEALTH horse and wagons that can ride right into a dual Helicopter fire fight and deliver weapons to save the day.

I hope that gives you some insight into my disappointment. Like DJLong, I want to like this show. They are just making it so dang hard to do it.

Very good points. I guess i never thought about those things. Now that you mention them it does bring the show down quite a bit for me. Maybe this one won't last for me.

#250 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,416 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 28 March 2013 - 06:02 PM

I think I like most scifi, including those of the world's-gone-back-to-the-stone-age group. I was ready to dump this one early on. But my wife, who generally wouldn't seek out a scifi series, liked this one. We haven't seen the first one of the new season.

I think my problem is I haven't really liked the work of the show's creator/writer Eric Kripke. I just could never get into "Supernatural" which has been a winner for him and The CW.

But I find it hard to suspend disbelief to the level needed in "Revolution" because of all the huge "oh, come on, really" moments.

But we'll probably watch it until somebody turns the lights on.;)

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#251 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,909 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 28 March 2013 - 07:10 PM

Well apparently the next episode will try to explain some of the hows. That alone should be fun for some and hair pulling frustration for others.

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR21-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#252 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,828 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 08:02 PM

spoilers guys, please...
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#253 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,909 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 08:16 PM

Wasn't much of a hint, but the coming attraction had the mom getting ready to tell the daughter all she knew on the matter.

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once

#254 OFFLINE   Kevin F

Kevin F

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,128 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 09:04 PM

It's pretty catchy but I do agree with earlier posts that the group lost a HUGE motive when Danny died.

Kevin
Kevin

Good TV (Cable). Better TV (Dish Network). DirecTV.

My Setup

#255 OFFLINE   renbutler

renbutler

Godfather

• Registered
  • 504 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 09:37 PM

What, saving the country from a newly equipped Monroe isn't motive enough?

#256 OFFLINE   Kevin F

Kevin F

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,128 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 10:05 PM

What, saving the country from a newly equipped Monroe isn't motive enough?

Oh it certainly is, but Danny was the one who was partially responsible for that motive in my opinion. Don't get me wrong, I remain interested in the show.

Kevin
Kevin

Good TV (Cable). Better TV (Dish Network). DirecTV.

My Setup

#257 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,203 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 29 March 2013 - 04:51 AM

DJ, You should probably cut your losses and move on. This show is about theatrics, not accuracy. If the latter is that important I don't think this show is ever going to be satisfying to you.

It's not so much the accuracy as the VOLUME of inaccuracy. Like I said, I *really* want to like this show. When they finally showed someone resuscitating steam power, *that* was cool!

There are plenty of things that go along with "the willing suspension of disbelief" and it's not just in Science Fiction. Ask any doctor about medical shows or a cop about police procedural shows.

But there's a tipping point. And once that tipping point is crossed, well, it can open the floodgates. Kind of like how a spouse might get "tipped" because you didn't take the garbage out and the argument then spills out ALL the things you did wrong.

An example was during the climax this past week.
<spoiler>
If it weren't for all the other annoyances, I don't think the "jump up from behind cover, fire your weapon, then stand there and admire the results" would have been rantworthy. But, with everything else, it comes out in the flood of angst
</spoiler>
:)

#258 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,828 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 06:18 AM

Wasn't much of a hint, but the coming attraction had the mom getting ready to tell the daughter all she knew on the matter.

The fact that someone posted that Danny was killed was a MAJOR hint and spoiler.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#259 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,203 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 10 April 2013 - 05:29 AM

Again, a little bit of redemption..

Now we have a clue as to what caused the blackout. Although it doesn't explain why the electricity in our bodies is unaffected, at least we have something to go by.

Definitely more plusses than minuses in this week's episode.

#260 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,909 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 12:07 PM

Being a sci-fi junkie, I'm kinda enjoying this show. It reminds me of the comic books I read as a kid.

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once

Protected By... spam firewall...And...