Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Revolution

• Please log in to reply
307 replies to this topic

#21 ONLINE   tsmacro

tsmacro

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,248 posts
  • LocationEast Central Indiana

Posted 17 September 2012 - 10:53 AM

Also set up a timer for this one as well, I dunno though, I might have to wait a full season to see if it gets renewed before I get into though. The non-conclusion to Flash Forward still stings a bit. I also didn't watch Lost until it had been renewed for a second season.

"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair." - Douglas Adams

"Who would rule a nation when he could have easier work, such as carrying water uphill in a sieve?" - Robert Jordan

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Maruuk

Maruuk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 04:33 PM

Last Resort premieres Thurs 9/27. Might be worth a watch. I like it features the US government turning on its own, as it does all the time in the real world. Kind of like Jason Bourne as a sub.

#23 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,200 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 18 September 2012 - 12:16 AM

Just watch Revolution.

It is bad.

Brings back memories of 60ish type shows.
DREW
Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR24-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#24 OFFLINE   Maruuk

Maruuk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 03:29 AM

Was afraid of that. Like The Invaders. Cheap and predictable and boring.

Republic serials were awesome! That's what inspired both Indiana Jones and Star Wars. And all the effects were practical and on a ten-cent budget.

#25 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,232 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 18 September 2012 - 04:32 AM

We interrupt this thread for some off-topic banter...

Oh I love those serials from a "you HAVE to be KIDDING me!" standpoint.

I was introduced to them during the Science Fiction Film Festival at the University of Lowell (now U. Mass - Lowell) in 1980. A friend who was going to school there brought me along and it was quite an experience - 26 1/2 hours of the good, the bad and the ugly of science fiction.

We had movies like "Them" and the original "Invasion of the Body Snatchers". We had horror classics with Vincent Price, old Godzilla movies and, well, some less memorable films... We had "Santa Claus Conquers the Martians" - starring a young Pia Zadora, and I would later see that movie skewered on Mystery Science Theater 3000. And I am not making this up - "Jesse James Meets Frankenstein's Daughter".

In between the movies, they had WANTED to run episodes of a Buck Rogers serial - but they didn't have the money. So what did they do? They got a serial they COULD afford - "Zombies of the Stratosphere". I can't say enough about this.. But by the 4th episode, the entire auditorium was cheering and screaming for our hero, "Larry" (a Commander Cody knock-off with a jet-pack leather jacket and hollowed-out artillery shell helmet). One of the co-stars in this serial was a VERY young actor playing the lead martian's assistant (the martians were the bad guys) - that actor was none other than Leonard Nimoy.

I used to have two copies on VHS - one original B&W with all 12 episodes and one colorized and edited into something resembling a movie.

We now return to something more on-topic...

#26 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,356 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 18 September 2012 - 07:25 AM

What a great memory, DJ!

We had "Santa Claus Conquers the Martians" (1964) - starring a young Pia Zadora...

Excuse me while I go searching desperately for that classic film -- and "Butterfly" (1982) while I'm at it! :P

:backtotop

Edited by Nick, 18 September 2012 - 07:32 AM.

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#27 OFFLINE   Maruuk

Maruuk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 10:14 AM

Yeah, they were kind of like the 15-minute matinee movies you'd make as a kid if you had about $10,000 to spend. Hit big after the war. Faded out in the early 50's. They relied on a kid's imagination to fill in the blanks. Not sure what a show like Revolution relies on, besides filling up the network lineup with yet another Auto-Cancelbot.

But Warren Buffett could retire on what they spent on promotion for this turkey. Every 8 minutes another %$%#^&#@ promo for the entire Summer!

#28 OFFLINE   oldschoolecw

oldschoolecw

HarpoonIPA

• Registered
  • 1,513 posts
  • LocationHalifax, MA

Posted 18 September 2012 - 11:45 AM

http://blog.zap2it.c...ak-for-fox.html

J.J. Abrams' new drama "Revolution" got off to a strong start for NBC, earning 11.7 million viewers and keeping almost all of its lead-in audience from two hours of "The Voice," which was up an average of a million viewers over last week's premiere.

I just watched it, and will give it a chance

LG Cinema Screen 47LM7600
Pioneer VSX-1120
X1 unit and yes it's Comcastic
Comcast Triple Play

#29 OFFLINE   Maruuk

Maruuk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 12:36 PM

Anything with that much promo is going to go gangbusters on opening. But the dropoff is going to be brutal.

#30 OFFLINE   ub1934

ub1934

Icon

• Registered
  • 518 posts
  • LocationUpState NY

Posted 18 September 2012 - 01:01 PM

Agree.

One has to wonder how much longer the networks will give JJ Abrams big money to produce these kinds of series...only to watch them fizzle out in the ratings. "The Event" comes to mind. They seem to start out big...and then go away...

Would still like to know how The Event ended ?

#31 OFFLINE   oldschoolecw

oldschoolecw

HarpoonIPA

• Registered
  • 1,513 posts
  • LocationHalifax, MA

Posted 18 September 2012 - 02:12 PM

Would still like to know how The Event ended ?

It evolved into Revolution:lol:;)

LG Cinema Screen 47LM7600
Pioneer VSX-1120
X1 unit and yes it's Comcastic
Comcast Triple Play

#32 OFFLINE   Galaxie6411

Galaxie6411

Icon

• Registered
  • 614 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 05:36 PM

Not bad at all for a pilot, was doing some stuff ont he computer so wasn't paying 100% attention early on but they answered questions right away, in the sme ep., which I liked.

Had a hard time with cross bows throwing people back when they were hit with them but otherwise liked it.

Haven't seen Hunger Games yet but have the feeling they are trying to tap into that audience hard with a young woman using bows and arrows being featured in this.

#33 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,200 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 18 September 2012 - 06:35 PM

What's with the swords and flintlocks?

We're the most heavily arm citizenry in the world and the Monroians have crossbows.
DREW
Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR24-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#34 OFFLINE   seern

seern

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 07:02 PM

Lets not forget the dude who was leading the milita band. He looked like he was carrying a Desert Eagle.

Sharon
HR24-100
HR34-700

All units in DECA cloud
H24-100 removed from service

#35 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,274 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 18 September 2012 - 08:28 PM

We're the most heavily arm citizenry in the world and the Monroians have crossbows.

It's been 15 years since the power went out. I'm guessing that ammo is not really in supply anymore.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#36 OFFLINE   jdskycaster

jdskycaster

Legend

• Registered
  • 272 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 10:16 AM

Terrible, awful, horrible, ridiculous, comical at best. Wish I could remove it from PTAT.

Yet again another series that will never have an ending.

#37 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,504 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 19 September 2012 - 10:52 AM

It's been 15 years since the power went out. I'm guessing that ammo is not really in supply anymore.

- Merg

And harder to make than your average musket ball.

#38 OFFLINE   say-what

say-what

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,689 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted 19 September 2012 - 10:53 AM

When the militia arrived and the one guy pulled a rifle, there was an exchange about guns being illegal. The militia probably tried to confiscate all the weapons it could.

#39 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,549 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 19 September 2012 - 11:00 AM

Hmmmm. Let's take "Jericho" and "Jeremiah," and blend in the teen girl and bows and arrows from "Hunger Games" to attract a younger crowd with a short attention span, and create a scifi/fantasy potentially plausible situation, then not overthink it ...or rather not give it enough thought....

The script writing is actually ok given the limits of the overall story arc, the acting is fine considering the young actors, and it could be fun. You just have to suspend disbelief, but not as much as say "Warehouse 13" or "Eureka."

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#40 ONLINE   tsmacro

tsmacro

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,248 posts
  • LocationEast Central Indiana

Posted 19 September 2012 - 11:01 AM

Well I did watch the first ep just to see if I wanted to keep recording it. It was pretty much what I expected, but it was good enough that I'll maintain the timer but I might not watch another ep until I hear if it gets picked up for another season.

"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair." - Douglas Adams

"Who would rule a nation when he could have easier work, such as carrying water uphill in a sieve?" - Robert Jordan

Protected By... spam firewall...And...