Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Revolution

• Please log in to reply
307 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   altidude

altidude

AllStar

• Registered
  • 89 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 11:46 AM

I'll keep watching but it wasn't great.

A couple of parts that made me chuckle; the way the headlights of all the cars went out in sequential order, front of the line to the back, and all the planes falling out of the sky in a flat spin, lights on but every other light in the world was dead. Oh yeah, the crossbow bolts had some pretty awesome stopping power! Miles was missing only the Bruce Lee "wa" on his last kill in the fight on the stairs.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   RASCAL01

RASCAL01

Godfather

• Registered
  • 297 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 01:06 PM

The lights went out that way because the power outage was in a wave.
RASCAL01
DISH 622, Hopper, Hopper2, Joey
TOSHIBA REGZA 55 LED/LCD 24O HZ
SONY AV 5.1 SOUROUND SOUND
SONY 3D BLUE RAY PLAYER

#43 OFFLINE   TBoneit

TBoneit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,285 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 01:12 PM

What a great memory, DJ!Excuse me while I go searching desperately for that classic film -- and "Butterfly" (1982) while I'm at it! :P

:backtotop

Ohhh..... Pia Zadora! :D

The script writing is actually ok given the limits of the overall story arc, the acting is fine considering the young actors, and it could be fun. You just have to suspend disbelief, but not as much as say "Warehouse 13" or "Eureka."

You've just condensed the disagreement I have with my Brother He wants everything in a TV show to be real world. I just want to be entertained. I like both of those shows. I like Leverage. I liked the closer even though I'm sure that in the real world Brenda would have been in real serious trouble more than once for some of the stunts she pulled. I didn't care I just wanted to be entertained.

Cheers
TB
Remember when your kids were the TV set's remote control?

#44 OFFLINE   jdskycaster

jdskycaster

Legend

• Registered
  • 272 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 01:53 PM

I love to be entertained and use my imagination a bit but this one requires you not only shift your brain completely into neutral you have need to remove it and put it on ice for an hour.

Love the Bruce Lee comment regarding that fight scene. Those of you that were impressed by that one should love this one!

#45 OFFLINE   Jimmy 440

Jimmy 440

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,666 posts
  • LocationMonmouth County NJ

Posted 19 September 2012 - 02:02 PM

I'll give it another week or two and see what develops.The gals are quite cute to look at yes : )

JIMMY

DirecTv 1999
Olevia 42" HD
HR22-100
--------------------
NHL CI
MLB EI

#46 OFFLINE   litex2x

litex2x

Legend

• Registered
  • 145 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 03:00 PM

I saw a screening at comicon and wasn't overly impressed by it. It wasn't exactly bad nor great either. I really like the genre so I'm going to stick with it for a few more episodes and hope for the best. The characters are kind of hard to like and story isn't anything special yet. The whole thing reminds me of the movie Postman.

#47 OFFLINE   mrro82

mrro82

Legend

• Registered
  • 557 posts
  • LocationThumb web of the mitten :>)

Posted 19 September 2012 - 03:17 PM

I'm not sure how long this one will last on my to do list. Reminds me a bit of The Event. That show was iffy at best.

#48 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,790 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 19 September 2012 - 05:05 PM

I'm not sure how long this one will last on my to do list. Reminds me a bit of The Event. That show was iffy at best.

I agree. This one is going to have a brief run like The Event.

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#49 OFFLINE   trainman

trainman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,489 posts
  • LocationSherman Oaks, CA

Posted 20 September 2012 - 11:55 AM

...all the planes falling out of the sky in a flat spin, lights on but every other light in the world was dead.

I saw the lights on the planes flickering (same as many other lights/devices were flickering before they went out) -- was a bit hard to discern, though, since they were relatively small and going pretty fast across the screen.

Yeah, a plane suddenly losing its engines and all electrical power wouldn't normally cause it to literally fall out of the sky -- but since they've indicated on the show that the fundamental laws of physics seem to have changed, I guess they can claim that the "event" caused the principles of flight to no longer work correctly.
trainman is Jim Ellwanger

HR34-700 | Linksys WGA-600N | Samsung 46" LCD | Slimline-5 dish

#50 OFFLINE   mrro82

mrro82

Legend

• Registered
  • 557 posts
  • LocationThumb web of the mitten :>)

Posted 20 September 2012 - 12:30 PM

I have a feeling they intentionally left the nav lights on so we could tell what was falling from the sky since it was night. Guess they figured we weren't smart enough to figure that one out on our own.

#51 OFFLINE   longrider

longrider

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,235 posts
  • LocationElizabeth, CO

Posted 20 September 2012 - 02:49 PM

Meant to mention this yesterday but to me most of what happened at the time of the blackout was consistent. On the highway the engines shut down and most systems malfunctioned but the lights stayed on long enough for everyone to get out of their cars and look around. In the home the PC crashed and the TV went out before the lights went out. On the plane a lot of jets are fly by wire and if all the electronics go out you would have no control and you could just fall out of the sky. In the real world there is so much redundancy in the control systems it would never happen but in the Revolution world...
My Setup

#52 OFFLINE   heathramos

heathramos

Legend

• Registered
  • 272 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 03:21 PM

a little bit off topic but I thought it was cool that you could watch the pilot of Revolution and Go On from OnDemand (Directv) before it was aired live.

That way, you could decide if you want to record the series.
3 HR20's
1 Channel Master 4228 antenna in attic
1 Samsung 55" LCD (connected using hdmi cable)
1 Samsung 46" LCD (connected using hdmi cable)
1 Panasonic 42" Plasma (connected using hdmi cable)
1 Popcorn Hour A-400
1 Popcorn Hour C-200

#53 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,338 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 20 September 2012 - 06:54 PM

Meant to mention this yesterday but to me most of what happened at the time of the blackout was consistent. On the highway the engines shut down and most systems malfunctioned but the lights stayed on long enough for everyone to get out of their cars and look around. In the home the PC crashed and the TV went out before the lights went out. On the plane a lot of jets are fly by wire and if all the electronics go out you would have no control and you could just fall out of the sky. In the real world there is so much redundancy in the control systems it would never happen but in the Revolution world...

I wouldn't say it would never happen. Of course we don't know what happened here, but if we have a Carrington Event, we may not have much time to prepare.

#54 OFFLINE   longrider

longrider

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,235 posts
  • LocationElizabeth, CO

Posted 20 September 2012 - 10:54 PM

I wouldn't say it would never happen. Of course we don't know what happened here, but if we have a Carrington Event, we may not have much time to prepare.

I had to look up what a Carrington Event is and while the term was new I know exactly what they are talking about. That is the one natural disaster that really scares me as we are so dependent on technology it would impact civilization as we know it.
My Setup

#55 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,790 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 21 September 2012 - 03:59 AM

I lost count on the amount of technical errors in this new series. Anyone else notice how the father didn't age a bit in 15 years? Or how clean and well groomed most of the characters are after living in the rough all that time? Their equipment (clothing, backbacks, weapons, ect.) look like they came right off the production line. Not to mention finding the uncle within minutes of entering the city and the lack of bloodshed in the fight to the death with primitive weapons between the uncle and the militia. And I doubt very much that today's asthma inhalers have a 15+ year shelf life. This show would be better off as a Saturday morning animated series.

#56 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,320 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 21 September 2012 - 06:01 AM

You lost count? Perhaps if you stopped counting...

I'm sure the show is intended as entertainment, not necessarily as a source of perverse pleasure for nitpickers. I enjoyed the opener and look forward to the series.

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#57 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,790 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 21 September 2012 - 06:20 AM

You lost count? Perhaps if you stopped counting...

I'm sure the show is intended as entertainment, not necessarily as a source of perverse pleasure for nitpickers. I enjoyed the opener and look forward to the series.

Different strokes for different folks Nicky. I'm not the only one whose disappointed with the show nor am I the only one who spotted it's flaws.

#58 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,320 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 21 September 2012 - 06:30 AM

Different strokes for different folks Nicky. I'm not the only one whose disappointed with the show nor am I the only one who spotted it's flaws.

Good for you! :rolleyes:

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#59 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,790 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 21 September 2012 - 06:37 AM

Good for you! :rolleyes:

Yup ;)

#60 OFFLINE   dmspen

dmspen

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,436 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 08:00 AM

I lost count on the amount of technical errors in this new series. Anyone else notice how the father didn't age a bit in 15 years? Or how clean and well groomed most of the characters are after living in the rough all that time? Their equipment (clothing, backbacks, weapons, ect.) look like they came right off the production line. Not to mention finding the uncle within minutes of entering the city and the lack of bloodshed in the fight to the death with primitive weapons between the uncle and the militia. And I doubt very much that today's asthma inhalers have a 15+ year shelf life. This show would be better off as a Saturday morning animated series.

This has beena typical problem with NBC shows. They're generally too 'pretty'.

You'd think that after 15 years that steampunk would be the prevalent style. There's no reason why they couldn't build forges and develop a steam society.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...