Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Revolution

• Please log in to reply
307 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   Gloria_Chavez

Gloria_Chavez

Godfather

• Registered
  • 437 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 08:09 AM

I agree. This one is going to have a brief run like The Event.

A show with crossbows won't do well?

After Olympics Archery ratings?

After Hunger Games (not to be confused with Cong. Ryan's budget)?

This show will do well.
Since 1995 the average cable bill has increased 122%, while TV consumption per household just 13%.

http://www.multichan...1_Per_Month.php

http://blog.nielsen....-all-time-high/

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#62 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,724 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 21 September 2012 - 08:24 AM

This has beena typical problem with NBC shows. They're generally too 'pretty'.

You'd think that after 15 years that steampunk would be the prevalent style. There's no reason why they couldn't build forges and develop a steam society.

But that would take creative writing. Something Hollywood's been lacking for quite some time.

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#63 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,724 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 21 September 2012 - 08:26 AM

A show with crossbows won't do well?

After Olympics Archery ratings?

After Hunger Games (not to be confused with Cong. Ryan's budget)?

This show will do well.

I agree the show will do well. About as well as The Event and Terra Nova.

#64 OFFLINE   jdskycaster

jdskycaster

Legend

• Registered
  • 272 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 09:06 AM

Other than the crossbow's and a cute girl as the central character this show has no resemblance to the Hunger Games. The fact that they are even trying to cling to those themes makes it a very weak attempt at imitation at best.

#65 OFFLINE   TBoneit

TBoneit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 12:43 PM

You lost count? Perhaps if you stopped counting...

I'm sure the show is intended as entertainment, not necessarily as a source of perverse pleasure for nitpickers. I enjoyed the opener and look forward to the series.

When they are jarring is it really nitpicking? I have seen shows where I look at the screen, back it up in disbelief, and yell at the TV set what the Hey! They got to be kiding.

Last Week my brother said did you notice the helicopter hanging in the tent when he was watching M*A*S*H. I said no, I backed it up and it was a Vietnam era Helicopter hanging in the tent on a Korean War Show.

Or watching a western and a Jet flies across the sky in the background and so on.

Or a short scene that starts out with everything wet and ends up with everything dry in two minutes of the Movie / Show.

Or the famous scene in a DieHard movie in a D.C Airport that has PacBell payphones.

Sometimes I am awestruck at how dumb they think we are.

Sorry for the mini rant but come on Hollywood, get it toghether!

Cheers
TB
Remember when your kids were the TV set's remote control?

#66 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,047 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 21 September 2012 - 01:46 PM

You lost count? Perhaps if you stopped counting...

I'm sure the show is intended as entertainment, not necessarily as a source of perverse pleasure for nitpickers. I enjoyed the opener and look forward to the series.

Well I hope this doesn't begin a trend of 60ish-style productions.
DREW
Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR24-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#67 OFFLINE   longrider

longrider

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,173 posts
  • LocationElizabeth, CO

Posted 21 September 2012 - 05:00 PM

I have to agree with Nick, I just enjoy it as entertainment. I could nitpick something on almost any show but suspending disbelief is part of enjoying a fictional story.

With all the details brought up for Revolution, I'm surprised no one mentioned the "16 year old" son is nowhere near 16.

On the age note, in hindsight I can see the father did not age over the 15year span but I did not notice that while watching .
My Setup

#68 OFFLINE   trainman

trainman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,482 posts
  • LocationSherman Oaks, CA

Posted 21 September 2012 - 09:11 PM

On the age note, in hindsight I can see the father did not age over the 15year span but I did not notice that while watching .

Maybe that's the tradeoff with the way the fundamental laws of nature have changed -- electricity doesn't work anymore, but once you get to a certain point, you stop aging. :D
trainman is Jim Ellwanger

HR34-700 | Linksys WGA-600N | Samsung 46" LCD | Slimline-5 dish

#69 OFFLINE   bullitt

bullitt

Legend

• Registered
  • 151 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 12:43 PM

I liked it and I'll watch, but I'm sure it will follow the same path as other apocalypse series. Death in one season (or less).

After 25 minutes it seemed to be the kind of show that never finds a direction like Invasion, Jericho and last years Terra Nova and will just disappear within a few months.

#70 OFFLINE   mrro82

mrro82

Legend

• Registered
  • 546 posts
  • LocationThumb web of the mitten :>)

Posted 23 September 2012 - 04:00 PM

After 25 minutes it seemed to be the kind of show that never finds a direction like Invasion, Jericho and last years Terra Nova and will just disappear within a few months.

Ill give it one season just like The Event.

#71 OFFLINE   1953

Icon

• Registered
  • 616 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 04:37 PM

Reset you timers, folks.

Not a single cliche from post-apocalypse movies was missed in this show.

Plain characters, predictable plot, average acting. Don't waist your time.

5 minutes was enough for me. CANCELLED

#72 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,640 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 23 September 2012 - 05:07 PM

When they are jarring is it really nitpicking? I have seen shows where I look at the screen, back it up in disbelief, and yell at the TV set what the Hey! They got to be kiding.

Last Week my brother said did you notice the helicopter hanging in the tent when he was watching M*A*S*H. I said no, I backed it up and it was a Vietnam era Helicopter hanging in the tent on a Korean War Show.

Or watching a western and a Jet flies across the sky in the background and so on.

Or a short scene that starts out with everything wet and ends up with everything dry in two minutes of the Movie / Show.

Or the famous scene in a DieHard movie in a D.C Airport that has PacBell payphones.

Sometimes I am awestruck at how dumb they think we are.

Sorry for the mini rant but come on Hollywood, get it toghether!

Cheers
TB

Worse about Die Hard 2 was:

- gun shots are fired in an airport and they keep it open running normally. Even back then, complete shutdown.

- no one noticed that a major airport was not landing planes?

- planes circled until they ran out of fuel? Not like there aren't 2 other airports in the immediate area and at least a dozen within an hour or two flight.

I don't have problems with details but the concepts upon which a story hinge. The pilot had so many holes you could drive a truck through them. No electricity at all? Life stops. End of show.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#73 OFFLINE   armophob

armophob

Difficulty Concen........

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,991 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 01:38 AM

Terra Nova got cancelled?

#74 OFFLINE   longrider

longrider

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,173 posts
  • LocationElizabeth, CO

Posted 24 September 2012 - 08:22 AM

Terra Nova got cancelled?

Yes it did, unfortunately. I say unfortunately because while it started out weak the story line developed to where it could have gotten very interesting.
My Setup

#75 OFFLINE   longrider

longrider

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,173 posts
  • LocationElizabeth, CO

Posted 24 September 2012 - 08:26 AM

No electricity at all? Life stops. End of show.

You know, that is a point I never thought about. Life as we know it is controlled by minute electrical charges. If electricity stops working...
My Setup

#76 ONLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,302 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 24 September 2012 - 09:21 AM

Humans survived and thrived for millennia without electricity. What would make anyone think the human race wouldn't continue without it? We, the technologically advanced may not do well or even survive in a post-apocalyptic, technology-deprived world, but there are many millions, if not billions existing and even doing well on the planet without the benefit of a single electron.

Keep in mind that our Founding Fathers never heard of electricity, much less radio, television, cell phones or even old-fashioned wall-mounted crank telephones. They never heard recorded music or any music that wasn't performed "live". Until the last 200 years, all human communication was by voice, by writing or art, by notches on a tree or stones placed on a rock or a human head on a stick.

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#77 OFFLINE   longrider

longrider

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,173 posts
  • LocationElizabeth, CO

Posted 24 September 2012 - 10:16 AM

Humans survived and thrived for millennia without electricity. What would make anyone think the human race wouldn't continue without it? We, the technologically advanced may not do well or even survive in a post-apocalyptic, technology-deprived world, but there are many millions, if not billions existing and even doing well on the planet without the benefit of a single electron.

Keep in mind that our Founding Fathers never heard of electricity, much less radio, television, cell phones or even old-fashioned wall-mounted crank telephones. They never heard recorded music or any music that wasn't performed "live". Until the last 200 years, all human communication was by voice, by writing or art, by notches on a tree or stones placed on a rock or a human head on a stick.

I totally agree that using electricity as a utility is not something life or even civilization is dependent on. However in Revolution the assumption is something happened to prevent any electric current from flowing. Hand cranked generators dont work, batteries dont work. Taking that to its conclusion, life itself which depends on minute electric currents along nerves and into muscles would cease.
My Setup

#78 OFFLINE   jdskycaster

jdskycaster

Legend

• Registered
  • 272 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 10:25 AM

No doubt there is a small portion of society that would survive but the majority would not. Clean drinking water would be one rather large obstacle to survival for the masses. Lack of prescription medications for a society that is largely dependent on them for day to day survival is another. The bulk of our food sources are also very reliant on energy in order to produce the volume required to feed the population. How many people know how to grow a garden that would sustain their family for an entire year without the ability to irrigate from the spigot or drive to the store for seeds, fertilizer and pesticides?

It is surprising to me how many deaths there are during short term power outages caused by weather. Any prolonged period would be catastrophic.

#79 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,724 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 24 September 2012 - 10:28 AM

I totally agree that using electricity as a utility is not something life or even civilization is dependent on. However in Revolution the assumption is something happened to prevent any electric current from flowing. Hand cranked generators dont work, batteries dont work. Taking that to its conclusion, life itself which depends on minute electric currents along nerves and into muscles would cease.

Another technical error overlooked by the show's "creative" writers.

#80 OFFLINE   TBoneit

TBoneit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 03:00 PM

Worse about Die Hard 2 was:

- gun shots are fired in an airport and they keep it open running normally. Even back then, complete shutdown.

- no one noticed that a major airport was not landing planes?

- planes circled until they ran out of fuel? Not like there aren't 2 other airports in the immediate area and at least a dozen within an hour or two flight.

I don't have problems with details but the concepts upon which a story hinge. The pilot had so many holes you could drive a truck through them. No electricity at all? Life stops. End of show.

What about the fire running up into the fuel tank as the plane is in the air from the ground. So the dump valve is open, so what. Is jet fuel that much more energetic burning that gasoline, I doubt it. And the Jet would surely be outrunning the flame, not to mention that there would be so many breaks in the fuel stream from turbulence.

But when did reality ever keep Hollywood from a good special effect? Ever watch Silver Streak? When the engine crashes into the gift shop? All kinds of flashes from underneath it as it crashes through unpowered displays?

Or a falling sign that has ripped loose from the electric feed that stays lit until it crashes in a blast of sparks?

Reality?

Cheers
TB

Edited by TBoneit, 24 September 2012 - 03:01 PM.
Spelling

Remember when your kids were the TV set's remote control?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...