Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Revolution

• Please log in to reply
307 replies to this topic

#81 OFFLINE   TBoneit

TBoneit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,284 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 03:09 PM

After 25 minutes it seemed to be the kind of show that never finds a direction like Invasion, Jericho and last years Terra Nova and will just disappear within a few months.

Where is it written that a series has to run for years. Some of the "Cable" channels seem to do OK with reruns of low episode count shows.

Yeah I know, in the so called minds of the programming types at the networks. Pitch a 1 year only show and they probably laugh at you and give you the bums rush.

Some shows would easily fit into a one year run where the show ends properly at the end of the year.

It is the channels that have to stretch them too long.

For me lost started out OK during the first year, Then it just fizzled and I stopped watching. If they had brought everything to a close at the end of the first year I would have liked it better than giving up watching it like I did.

Mork & Mindy, The first year was the best. Then it seemed like they reined in Robin Williams and ruined it.
Remember when your kids were the TV set's remote control?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#82 OFFLINE   longrider

longrider

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,224 posts
  • LocationElizabeth, CO

Posted 24 September 2012 - 04:27 PM

Where is it written that a series has to run for years. Some of the "Cable" channels seem to do OK with reruns of low episode count shows.

Yeah I know, in the so called minds of the programming types at the networks. Pitch a 1 year only show and they probably laugh at you and give you the bums rush.

Some shows would easily fit into a one year run where the show ends properly at the end of the year.

It is the channels that have to stretch them too long.

For me lost started out OK during the first year, Then it just fizzled and I stopped watching. If they had brought everything to a close at the end of the first year I would have liked it better than giving up watching it like I did.

Mork & Mindy, The first year was the best. Then it seemed like they reined in Robin Williams and ruined it.

In this vein, how about Heroes? It had me hooked the first year but it went downhill after that, to the point that during the last year I didn't even worry if I missed an episode
My Setup

#83 OFFLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,907 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 24 September 2012 - 04:59 PM

In this vein, how about Heroes? It had me hooked the first year but it went downhill after that, to the point that during the last year I didn't even worry if I missed an episode

Checking the episode guide, we had the writers strike during the second season. For nine months, there were no new episodes, and all momentum was lost.

During that writer's strike, I went through and deleted all my season passes. I figured, if I cared enough about a show, I'll make the effort to re-add the show in. The Unit made the cut, but got cancelled anyways. The three CSIs, Bones, and a few others didn't.
"In many ways, this opera does fulfil my often quoted description of what most operas is about. The tenor is trying to sleep with the soprano, and the baritone is trying to stop them." - Sean Bianco, KXPR At The Opera
Check out my list of links.

#84 OFFLINE   Gloria_Chavez

Gloria_Chavez

Godfather

• Registered
  • 442 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 05:12 PM

Question for electrical engineers.

Let's say the US suffered a solar storm similar to 1859..

http://en.wikipedia....r_storm_of_1859

If one disconnected electrical appliances before the storm hit, would the memory be fried?

Let's say one had a diesel generator post-storm. Would it produce power after a solar hit?
Since 1995 the average cable bill has increased 122%, while TV consumption per household just 13%.

http://www.multichan...1_Per_Month.php

http://blog.nielsen....-all-time-high/

#85 OFFLINE   longrider

longrider

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,224 posts
  • LocationElizabeth, CO

Posted 24 September 2012 - 06:07 PM

Question for electrical engineers.

Let's say the US suffered a solar storm similar to 1859..

http://en.wikipedia....r_storm_of_1859

If one disconnected electrical appliances before the storm hit, would the memory be fried?

Let's say one had a diesel generator post-storm. Would it produce power after a solar hit?

I am not an expert on this but my understanding is that it is the electrical grid acting as a nationwide antenna to absorb the solar energy that will fry anything hooked to it. A device sitting in your house not hooked to anything will not absorb enough energy itself to cause problems. Same thing with the generator, as long as it is not hooked up it should be fine.
My Setup

#86 OFFLINE   renbutler

renbutler

Godfather

• Registered
  • 506 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 08:53 PM

I think the problem is that some of you guys are more focused on being smart than entertained. I have a strong educational background, and a mathematical/scientific way of thinking. But for me, good TV is about losing yourself in interesting people and situations.

Not everybody wants everything to be real. I live real every day. I don't need fiction to be real.

We watched the pilot, and we will watch the second episode.

#87 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,223 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 25 September 2012 - 05:14 AM

I have a certain amount of "willing suspension of disbelief". It's like a reservoir fed by a river but once it goes dry, I can't get it back.

I finally watched the Revolution pilot.

There were a lot of little things that bugged me - the biggest little thing was how electricity in our bodies wasn't affected (do we still get static electricity sparks touching metal? Touching each other?). The "little things" got pretty numerous but I was still able to put them in the back of my head.

But the big one? Fifteen years and steam hasn't made a comeback? Those military types would IMMEDIATELY be looking for a replacement technology AND THE TRACKS ARE ALREADY LAID. Heck there are a few steam engines still working AND people who know how to service them AND books on how to keep things going.

Apart from that, with few likeable characters, I found myself just getting angered.

#88 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,776 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 25 September 2012 - 05:47 AM

I think the problem is that some of you guys are more focused on being smart than entertained. I have a strong educational background, and a mathematical/scientific way of thinking. But for me, good TV is about losing yourself in interesting people and situations.

Not everybody wants everything to be real. I live real every day. I don't need fiction to be real.

We watched the pilot, and we will watch the second episode.

No, we're focused on being "plausibly" entertained. Some forty plus years ago Gene Roddenberry created a science fiction series with a shoestring budget. The name of that series is Star Trek. Look at some of the episodes and you'll see that characters perspired when exerting themselves. They bruised and bled when they were injured or killed. Their uniforms and equipment soiled when exposed to the elements for long durations. The technology in the series is believable because experts in various fields of science were used as advisors. And least we forget the creative scripts written by some of the most talented writers of that time. That "plausible" formula produced one of the most successful franchises in Hollywood's history.

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#89 ONLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,317 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 25 September 2012 - 08:07 AM

lest

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#90 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,267 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 25 September 2012 - 09:18 AM

Well, there was the comment in the recent episode about why it doesn't make sense that no power has started back up yet again. So, it does look like the writers have something in mind...

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#91 OFFLINE   renbutler

renbutler

Godfather

• Registered
  • 506 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 11:55 AM

Revolution dropped from 4.1 to 3.5 in its second episode.

How does that compare to other recent epics that were canceled after one season?

#92 OFFLINE   tsmacro

tsmacro

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,216 posts
  • LocationEast Central Indiana

Posted 25 September 2012 - 12:23 PM

Well if nothing else it seems this show is the most discussed show of the new season on dbstalk.com for whatever that's worth.

"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair." - Douglas Adams

"Who would rule a nation when he could have easier work, such as carrying water uphill in a sieve?" - Robert Jordan

#93 OFFLINE   TBoneit

TBoneit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,284 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 01:01 PM

I have a certain amount of "willing suspension of disbelief". It's like a reservoir fed by a river but once it goes dry, I can't get it back.

I finally watched the Revolution pilot.

There were a lot of little things that bugged me - the biggest little thing was how electricity in our bodies wasn't affected (do we still get static electricity sparks touching metal? Touching each other?). The "little things" got pretty numerous but I was still able to put them in the back of my head.

But the big one? Fifteen years and steam hasn't made a comeback? Those military types would IMMEDIATELY be looking for a replacement technology AND THE TRACKS ARE ALREADY LAID. Heck there are a few steam engines still working AND people who know how to service them AND books on how to keep things going.

Apart from that, with few likeable characters, I found myself just getting angered.

There are steam engines running these days however with no electricity they would need to have more than tracks. You need a source of water along the tracks since they do not recycle what they use. Think the water tower in Petticoat Junction.
A Source of fuel.

Both of those would need to re-established for a steam engine to work.

However steam powered transportation on the roads, Steam powered boats maybe with a lot less work.

#94 OFFLINE   TBoneit

TBoneit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,284 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 01:06 PM

Yea, I liked the first season, then it went a little weird.

So far I'm liking Major Crimes as much as the Closer.

I find that I like the first season of many shows and then not too much for the second season. Warehouse 13 is OK now but not as good as it was. I should mention that I may be influenced by not liking recurring villains.

There are exceptions, Grimm, NCIS, Leverage, The Closer and now Major Crimes come to mind.

#95 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,108 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 25 September 2012 - 03:11 PM

Revolution dropped from 4.1 to 3.5 in its second episode.

How does that compare to other recent epics that were canceled after one season?

Doesn't matter. The plot is down right childish. Except for the mystery of how, there's nothing else of interest. I wont miss this one.
DREW
Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR24-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#96 OFFLINE   Jimmy 440

Jimmy 440

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,665 posts
  • LocationMonmouth County NJ

Posted 25 September 2012 - 06:06 PM

I deleted the 2nd episode 10 minutes into it.I totally lost interest in it.Too bad !

JIMMY

DirecTv 1999
Olevia 42" HD
HR22-100
--------------------
NHL CI
MLB EI

#97 OFFLINE   PrinceLH

PrinceLH

Godfather

• Registered
  • 473 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 06:41 PM

I found it too busy, with too much going on. I tried it, but like BBC's Copper, after 2 episodes.......no mas! It's kind of a cheap imitation of the Walking Dead, without the Zombies!

#98 OFFLINE   oldschoolecw

oldschoolecw

HarpoonIPA

• Registered
  • 1,511 posts
  • LocationHalifax, MA

Posted 25 September 2012 - 06:45 PM

I deleted the 2nd episode 10 minutes into it.I totally lost interest in it.Too bad !

I also did,

The Fallout 3 game story-line kills this. Hasn't NBC had huge hits on the premiere nights only to cancel the shows weeks later?:lol:

LG Cinema Screen 47LM7600
Pioneer VSX-1120
X1 unit and yes it's Comcastic
Comcast Triple Play

#99 OFFLINE   renbutler

renbutler

Godfather

• Registered
  • 506 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 08:37 PM

Doesn't matter. The plot is down right childish. Except for the mystery of how, there's nothing else of interest. I wont miss this one.

Thanks, but it matters to me.

Anybody have a helpful response to my question?

#100 OFFLINE   BubblePuppy

BubblePuppy

Good night dear Smoke... love you & "got your butt...&a

• Registered
  • 5,261 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 03:33 AM

Thanks, but it matters to me.

Anybody have a helpful response to my question?

This might be a starting point. http://tvdramas.abou.../cancel0506.htm
Why don't you just Google it?
Thanks to Google search, people can appear to be smarter than they really are.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...