Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Revolution

• Please log in to reply
307 replies to this topic

#101 OFFLINE   John Strk

John Strk

Legend

• Registered
  • 159 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 07:53 AM

The pilot was ok but I found myself quickly getting bored with the 2nd episode. The only new show I'm looking forward now is the Last Resort!
DirecTV Customer Since 2007

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#102 OFFLINE   renbutler

renbutler

Godfather

• Registered
  • 501 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 08:09 AM

This might be a starting point. http://tvdramas.abou.../cancel0506.htm
Why don't you just Google it?

Thanks, but I did Google it. I found some sporadic ratings info about The Event, but not a direct week 1-2 comparison.

#103 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,176 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 26 September 2012 - 08:18 AM

TBoneit - they crossed the deserts with railroads in the 1860s with no electricity. With all the flooded towns we saw, there's an ample supply of water.

I'll keep watching for a bit, in hopes that some of these bits get answered.. I mean, how cool would it be to see an ironclad like the Monitor berthed on Lake Michigan? steam-powered, no electricity.

...and yet the string for the girl's crossbow is just as elastic (and, hence, deadly) as it was when it was manufactured... I don't think these things last 15 years.

#104 OFFLINE   renbutler

renbutler

Godfather

• Registered
  • 501 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 08:23 AM

I just realized that futoncritic.com has archived ratings information.

Week 1-2 ratings change:

Revolution -- -14.3%
The Event -- -21.6%

#105 OFFLINE   oldschoolecw

oldschoolecw

HarpoonIPA

• Registered
  • 1,478 posts
  • LocationHalifax, MA

Posted 26 September 2012 - 08:26 AM

Thanks, but I did Google it. I found some sporadic ratings info about The Event, but not a direct week 1-2 comparison.

Here you go
http://en.wikipedia....ent_Ratings.png

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Event

Ratings
The pilot episode received 10.88 million viewers and a 3.6/9 adults 18–49 rating/share, placing third in its timeslot at 9:00 pm ET.[48] After averaging 9.1 million viewers for the first four episodes, NBC picked up the series for a full season.[1]

However, by the final episode of 2010 on November 29, the series had cut its audience by 46% and its demo rating by 48%, to 5.83 million and a 1.9/5 respectively,[49] although both of these were up noticeably from the previous week.[50] On November 15, NBC announced that The Event would be going into hiatus after the November 29 episode, and would return on February 28, 2011[51] (later pushed back to March 7).[52] Upon its return, the series received 5.23 million viewers and a then-series-low 1.4/4 18–49 rating/share;[53] the latter of these figures represented a 26% plunge from the fall finale.[54] The series has since gone as low as 3.85 million viewers and a 1.1/3 rating/share in 18–49, first on April 18[55] and again on May 9.[56]

LG Cinema Screen 47LM7600
Pioneer VSX-1120
X1 unit and yes it's Comcastic
Comcast Triple Play

#106 OFFLINE   renbutler

renbutler

Godfather

• Registered
  • 501 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 08:29 AM

Yeah, wikipedia was the first place I tried, but it didn't compare week 1 to week 2.

Thankfully, futoncritic had what I was looking for (see post #104 above).

#107 OFFLINE   tsmacro

tsmacro

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,145 posts
  • LocationEast Central Indiana

Posted 26 September 2012 - 08:30 AM

Of course in week two Revolution was also up against the season premier of Castle and Hawaii Five-O too I believe. So week two is probably a better indicator as to how well it'll do against real competition in its timeslot. Still haven't watched week two, probably won't until I get a better idea if it's going to survive for more than one season, so I'll be letting them build up for a while.

"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair." - Douglas Adams

"Who would rule a nation when he could have easier work, such as carrying water uphill in a sieve?" - Robert Jordan

#108 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,276 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 26 September 2012 - 09:23 AM

From reading somewhere else, it seems the 2nd episode beat out both Castle and Hawaii Five-O premiers! Interesting.

I'm rather surprised that it would beat out Castle, but not all that surprised that it beat Hawaii Five-O.

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#109 OFFLINE   Church AV Guy

Church AV Guy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 503 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 04:20 PM

I just realized that futoncritic.com has archived ratings information.

Week 1-2 ratings change:

Revolution -- -14.3%
The Event -- -21.6%

Revolution premiere: 11.65 million viewers, second episode: 9.29 million viewers, so it had only 79.7% of the premiere viewers, or was -20.3%.
Luke

Sagaciously eschew obfuscating sesquipedalianisms.

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.--from Joan of Arcadia

#110 OFFLINE   Galaxie6411

Galaxie6411

Icon

• Registered
  • 607 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 04:47 PM

The pilot was ok but I found myself quickly getting bored with the 2nd episode. The only new show I'm looking forward now is the Last Resort!

Couldn't agree more and I really like these kind of shows, I fell asleep by the 30 minute mark. Can't take much more of the girl bitching about killing someone or following someone when she is entirely wrong and proven so the next minute. That kind of crap gets old in every show.

#111 OFFLINE   Maruuk

Maruuk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 05:15 PM

Thanks for saving me the aggravation guys! I figured it was gonna end this way just based on the lame-o trailers. What caused the blackout? Nobody knows, including the writers. Just like "Lost", millions going nowhere fast. These shows don't NEED a solution, they just need more bogus mysteries every week. More straw dogs. Same as X-Files, the bogeyman is always shifting around, with no set premise or center. It gets old fast. Since without a central, defined evil, nothing ever really matters in a show of this sort, the audience is guaranteed to get ripped off over time. SEE: Last ep of Lost.

#112 OFFLINE   mrro82

mrro82

Legend

• Registered
  • 492 posts
  • LocationThumb web of the mitten :>)

Posted 26 September 2012 - 08:08 PM

There was one thing in the second episode that irked me and.......
**********SPOILER!!!!!!!!!!!!***********

If the necklace supposedly would turn the power back on, why wait 15 years to do so? I'm hoping they divulge why dear ol dad never made his way to the lady in the attic in 15 years.

#113 OFFLINE   renbutler

renbutler

Godfather

• Registered
  • 501 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 10:32 PM

Revolution premiere: 11.65 million viewers, second episode: 9.29 million viewers, so it had only 79.7% of the premiere viewers, or was -20.3%.

I based it on the 18-49 rating percentage.

#114 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,913 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 26 September 2012 - 11:25 PM

Thanks for saving me the aggravation guys! I figured it was gonna end this way just based on the lame-o trailers. What caused the blackout? Nobody knows, including the writers. Just like "Lost", millions going nowhere fast. These shows don't NEED a solution, they just need more bogus mysteries every week. More straw dogs. Same as X-Files, the bogeyman is always shifting around, with no set premise or center. It gets old fast. Since without a central, defined evil, nothing ever really matters in a show of this sort, the audience is guaranteed to get ripped off over time. SEE: Last ep of Lost.

Lost intrigued me the entire way ... except the last episode. While, yeah, that aspect of it kinda sucked, the journey was well worth it to me.

I'm finding this show intriguing as well, but ... I also realize that the general populace will turn their nose at this type of show. I'll happily watch it until the point it finishes it's run - likely one season. For this program, it will be about the journey because I don't expect there to be an end. I'll be pleasantly surprised if there is.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#115 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,913 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 26 September 2012 - 11:27 PM

Why does science fiction / fantasy have to be accurate? I think it's pretty cool looking at the what-if scenarios of an apocalypse ... the reason behind it is fairly irrelevant in my humble opinion.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#116 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,176 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 27 September 2012 - 05:27 AM

Why? Because, if the blackout had happened, the first reaction would be "why" with "who did it", "how" and "how do we counteract it" being in the mix there.

If the *audience* notices things, you can damn well be sure that, in 'real life' these questions would have come up. Why no steam trains? What keeps the electricity in our bodies safe?

Shows like this usually have "bibles" with the rules they have, the ones they created and ones they leave open. The SF series Babylon 5 had their "rules for magic" before the first frame was filmed. How telepathy worked. How hyperspace worked. and they didn't violate the laws of physics everywhere else (no spaceships banking in a vaccuum as if they were flying in an atmosphere).

If I'm going to get invested in a show, there's some stretches I'll make. I'll "give" on DNA results coming back in hours instead of weeks for cop shows - that's just 'improving' the tech we have. But I won't give on cars falling into a swamp and having their windows crack in 4 feet of water from the 'pressure'.

In the case of Revolution, I'll give on there being something or someone who could cause the blackout - but it has to hold together beyond that. I'm still giving this one a chance because they may yet have answers for the seeming inconsistencies.

#117 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,217 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 27 September 2012 - 06:18 AM

...and yet, every one of you nitpicking skeptics were fine and dandy with warp drives, sliders, DeLorean time machines and beam me up, Scottie. You're so busy patting yourself on the back for spotting insignificant inconsistencies that you are missing out on the enjoyment of the story.

:rolleyes:

~ 12 Year Anniversary Month ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#118 OFFLINE   longrider

longrider

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,031 posts
  • LocationElizabeth, CO

Posted 27 September 2012 - 07:14 AM

Good point Nick, I dont see why this show is getting slammed so much when there have been many previous shows that have taken just as many liberties with the laws of physics

My Setup

#119 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,276 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 27 September 2012 - 07:22 AM

...and yet, every one of you nitpicking skeptics were fine and dandy with warp drives, sliders, DeLorean time machines and beam me up, Scottie. You're so busy patting yourself on the back for spotting insignificant inconsistencies that you are missing out on the enjoyment of the story.

:rolleyes:

I'm with you. I love a good adventure and I am more than willing to suspend reality if it gets in the way of enjoyment of the show.

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#120 OFFLINE   dmspen

dmspen

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,381 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 07:54 AM

My recording of the last episode was terrible. Terribly pixelated to the point of droppping to black once in a while. It was hardly worth watching.

It's one thing to accept premises that can't be proven (warp drive, magic, etc) and another thing to try to accept not using proven concepts like steam power.

spam firewall