Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Revolution

• Please log in to reply
307 replies to this topic

#121 OFFLINE   jdskycaster

jdskycaster

Legend

• Registered
  • 272 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 10:35 AM

I do not see it as nitpicking when the pattern is consistent and blatantly obvious. Also warp drive was proposed as something that may be plausible far into the future not present day. Back to the future was a comedy - no need to prove anything to me when humor is involved.

This show becomes humorous even though it is trying to be serious in almost the same same way my daughter and I laughed through the first season of The River. It is hard not to laugh at the characters attempting to be bad a$$es in this one.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#122 ONLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,912 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 27 September 2012 - 10:46 AM

...and yet, every one of you nitpicking skeptics were fine and dandy with warp drives, sliders, DeLorean time machines and beam me up, Scottie. You're so busy patting yourself on the back for spotting insignificant inconsistencies that you are missing out on the enjoyment of the story.

:rolleyes:

As I posted earlier the science in Star Trek is plausible because experts in various fields of science were used as advisors. The lack of plausibility with Revolution makes me wonder if the producers are using the NFL replacement referees as technical advisors. :sure:

DIRECTV customer since 1995.

#123 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,348 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 27 September 2012 - 11:34 AM

My recording of the last episode was terrible. Terribly pixelated to the point of droppping to black once in a while. It was hardly worth watching.

It's one thing to accept premises that can't be proven (warp drive, magic, etc) and another thing to try to accept not using proven concepts like steam power.

What time slot? What box? I am watching it now, no problems 2/3 way through.

Yes, steam engines on existing RR tracks would be happening; cities wouldn't be quite so derelict, and there'd be real farmer's markets going on.

At the same time, they showed stands of corn that were pretty extensive, certainly not hand planted or cultivated! (Also not this year's crop).
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#124 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,232 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 27 September 2012 - 12:06 PM

...and yet, every one of you nitpicking skeptics were fine and dandy with warp drives, sliders, DeLorean time machines and beam me up, Scottie. You're so busy patting yourself on the back for spotting insignificant inconsistencies that you are missing out on the enjoyment of the story.

Not quite - but I think I'm not expresisng myself well.

JMS (of B-5 fame) said it - Invent rules for the magic, then stick to it.

Warp drives? It's already been worked out in theory.
Sliders? When they got sillier, I lost interest.
DeLorean time machines? They invented a "flux capacitor", left it at that and didn't change any rules - of course, only having 3 "episodes" made for less opportunity to violate them.
Beam me up? Well, you got me on that one. It wasn't until much later in life when it was pointed out to me that the energy required to do that (to say nothing of the computing power) would make for a weapon of unstoppable power.

To me, the series took a hit when they had the *perfect* opportunity to at least *acknowledge* some of this in the 'classroom' scene. Something like "We don't know why - maybe electricity doesn't work in semiconductors anymore - otherwise our brains would stop" - and then let us know whether or not there are still lightning in the thunderstorms. That's one I *really* want to know. (and if it's some sort of dampening field, what's powering THAT?)

But I'm *more* than aware that a show needs time to "find it's legs" - and I hope this one does. But it's like in any sport when a team gets off to a bad start - they have to have a damn good run to make the playoffs.

#125 OFFLINE   Church AV Guy

Church AV Guy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 511 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 12:45 PM

Good point Nick, I dont see why this show is getting slammed so much when there have been many previous shows that have taken just as many liberties with the laws of physics

I'm with you. I love a good adventure and I am more than willing to suspend reality if it gets in the way of enjoyment of the show.

All I can say to this is, you really don't understand willing suspension of disbelief as it applies to this kind of enteratinment. When I saw the second Indiana Jones movie in a very crowded theater, no one objected to the "priest" putting his hand into the victim's chest, pulling out his heart, whcih continued to beat, then lowered the victim into the lava and when he burst into flames, the heart in the priest's hand also burst into flames. We accepted it as the very basis of the story. BUT when the ore car left the track, flew through the air, and landed back on the track, there were MANY groans from the audience, and a few, "give me a break" type of comments.

The first is the premise of the story. The second is not, and it has to conform to known physical laws unledd the story provides a reason why those laws wouldn't apply.

Warp drives, and Delorean time machines were the framework of the stories and therefore have to be accepted. We DO accept that the power is off, but we also want to know how it happened.

Edited by Church AV Guy, 27 September 2012 - 04:23 PM.

Luke

Sagaciously eschew obfuscating sesquipedalianisms.

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.--from Joan of Arcadia

#126 OFFLINE   Maruuk

Maruuk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 12:45 PM

Spoiler alert**********************************

I think they're paranoid about turning the power back on because as they said, "Monroe will control it to build an army to crush all the other republics." Or some such nonsense. I guess the plot point is they have to do it only under THEIR control and only when the time is right to be able to defeat Monroe. Who in the last ep will be revealed to be Zombie Marilyn.

#127 OFFLINE   TBoneit

TBoneit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,290 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 12:52 PM

Obviously the electric doesn't work due to one of several things

1. Aliens. Invasion?
2. The sun has moved into an area where the laws of physics are subtly different.
3. Someone upset with over population has come up with a device to end electricity.
4. To be revealed.

What's your guess / prediction?
Remember when your kids were the TV set's remote control?

#128 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,348 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 01:12 PM

Obviously the electric doesn't work due to one of several things

1. Aliens. Invasion?
2. The sun has moved into an area where the laws of physics are subtly different.
3. Someone upset with over population has come up with a device to end electricity.
4. To be revealed.

What's your guess / prediction?

#129 OFFLINE   Maruuk

Maruuk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 04:19 PM

None of the above. The X-Files never revealed the real truth. This thing will get canceled long before the writers have to think up some BS rationale. Though obviously the brothers knew what was happening ahead of time.

Must say, though, that Tracy Spiridakos is kind of quirky-cute (though keeping her in pants and high-tops is a requisite) and she's a half-decent actress. She's kind of holding things together for now. But if the show's to survive much longer, they're going to have to reveal a lot more of the secrets up front to hold interest. More sci-fi, less Robin Hood!

#130 OFFLINE   jdskycaster

jdskycaster

Legend

• Registered
  • 272 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 07:57 PM

5. The Easter Bunny

#131 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,274 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 27 September 2012 - 09:14 PM

Spoiler alert**********************************

Just as an FYI... You can create a hidden spoiler by using the SPOILER tag...

[ spoiler ] and [ /spoiler ]

Spoiler

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#132 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,348 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 11:08 PM

Just as an FYI... You can create a hidden spoiler by using the SPOILER tag...

- Merg

Test:

The entire show will be cancelled, but

Spoiler

Thanks for the question, and the answer.

#133 OFFLINE   Maruuk

Maruuk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 11:55 PM

Ah, thanks guys, always wondered how they did that. By the way, the first ep was filmed in Atlanta but all the subsequent eps will be filmed in...

Spoiler

#134 OFFLINE   frederic1943

frederic1943

Icon

• Registered
  • 748 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 10:09 AM

Posted Image
37" Olevia LT37HVS HDTV with HR21-100 connected with HDMI and HR20-700 connected with Component
And
37" Hannspree Nara HDTV with HR21-100 connected with Component

#135 OFFLINE   coldsteel

coldsteel

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,984 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 10:18 AM

Everyone knows it's the Alien Space Bats.
DISH 625 dvr

The opinions posted on this site are my own and do not represent DISH Network's positions, strategies or opinions. Unless I decide to be bad or call out an idiot...

#136 OFFLINE   renbutler

renbutler

Godfather

• Registered
  • 506 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 07:48 AM

Has any "expert" on the show said that all electricity has stopped?

It sounds like they're saying only that the "power went out." As if only artificial, man-made electrical products don't work.

And they haven't even had time to explain it yet -- in fact, that's what the whole journey is going to be about: figuring out what happened and why.

I've watched both eps, and I might have missed it, but have they mentioned whether there are any lightning storms anymore?

#137 OFFLINE   trainman

trainman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,496 posts
  • LocationSherman Oaks, CA

Posted 01 October 2012 - 08:37 AM

I've watched both eps, and I might have missed it, but have they mentioned whether there are any lightning storms anymore?

Well, the weather appears to have gotten screwed up enough to the point where Chicago and its suburbs now have vegetation that looks a lot like eastern North Carolina...

:D
trainman is Jim Ellwanger

HR34-700 | Linksys WGA-600N | Samsung 46" LCD | Slimline-5 dish

#138 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,214 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 01 October 2012 - 09:46 PM

It's not improving.
DREW
Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR24-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#139 OFFLINE   renbutler

renbutler

Godfather

• Registered
  • 506 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 10:20 PM

Wait, you're still watching after saying this?

The plot is down right childish. Except for the mystery of how, there's nothing else of interest...

Why? Just so you can continue to complain about it publicly?

#140 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,214 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 01 October 2012 - 10:35 PM

I watch all SciFi. Good or bad.
DREW
Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR24-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00