Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Revolution

• Please log in to reply
311 replies to this topic

#201 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,430 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Georgia

Posted 26 November 2012 - 08:10 PM

I'm losing (not loosing) interest faster than (not then) a jumper going off the GW.

~ 13 Years on DBSTalk ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#202 OFFLINE   mrro82

mrro82

Legend

• Registered
  • 643 posts
  • LocationThumb web of the mitten :>)

Posted 27 November 2012 - 07:11 AM

It's not done, they got a full season order a while back. At the rate it's going they'll get the green light for season 2 soon too.

I'm all for that. Its getting good. I just know NBCs track record with shows I like so I'm a bit pessimistic.

#203 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,253 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 07:44 AM

I'm all for that. Its getting good. I just know NBCs track record with shows I like so I'm a bit pessimistic.

The show helped NBC win its first November Sweeps in 9 years. It's also ranked the #1 New Drama, for real not just network hype, so I can't see them canning it.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#204 OFFLINE   tsmacro

tsmacro

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,323 posts
  • LocationEast Central Indiana

Posted 27 November 2012 - 10:24 AM

The show helped NBC win its first November Sweeps in 9 years. It's also ranked the #1 New Drama, for real not just network hype, so I can't see them canning it.

I hope you're right. So far the numbers have looked good especially in the "golden demographic" of 19 to 49 versus their 10pm competition. However what makes me nervous is the extended break, those have killed other shows, out of sight out of mind. Especially if it's not coming back until March, by that time most the other winter shows will have been in full swing for a while, will people come back in big enough numbers live to give them the ratings they need? Or will they just keep Revolution as a timer on their DVR and get around to watching the eps when they get a chance since they're now currently involved in the middle of a season of another show that's been going since January and as a result the live ratings for Revolution drop too much and it goes away at the end of the season. Like I said I hope this won't be the case, I'm enjoying it so far, but you can see why I'm worried.

"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair." - Douglas Adams

"Who would rule a nation when he could have easier work, such as carrying water uphill in a sieve?" - Robert Jordan

#205 OFFLINE   celticpride

celticpride

Icon

• Registered
  • 969 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 12:01 PM

I hate the way some networks take a break on the shows! In the old days tv season ran from september to march, Its stupid to go from september to november then start back up in march, sometimes i lose interest in a show after that break because i'll be watching something else. I do love how they put new shows on in summer like rizzoli & isles,but now i see they have new episodes coming out next week?:nono2: Its a good thing we have DVRS nowadays so we can set up to record new episodes only, otherwise i'd lose track of when a show is on!

#206 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,253 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 12:19 PM

I hate the way some networks take a break on the shows! In the old days tv season ran from september to march, Its stupid to go from september to november then start back up in march, sometimes i lose interest in a show after that break because i'll be watching something else. I do love how they put new shows on in summer like rizzoli & isles,but now i see they have new episodes coming out next week?:nono2: Its a good thing we have DVRS nowadays so we can set up to record new episodes only, otherwise i'd lose track of when a show is on!

Back in the day all networks stopped showing new stuff around the holidays. You just didn't notice it because they showed re-runs instead of new shows.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#207 OFFLINE   mrro82

mrro82

Legend

• Registered
  • 643 posts
  • LocationThumb web of the mitten :>)

Posted 27 November 2012 - 12:27 PM

I remember when seasons were 24 episodes long like the x files. October-May if I remember right. None of this 6 now 6 later and that's it. Then again choices were far limited back then compared to now too.

#208 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,253 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 02:35 PM

I remember when seasons were 24 episodes long like the x files. October-May if I remember right. None of this 6 now 6 later and that's it. Then again choices were far limited back then compared to now too.

Seasons on the "big 4" generally are still 24 episodes. Revolution is going to be 22. The networks that do break up seasons (USA, TNT, Syfy, etc) generally put out 12 and 12 making them 24 as well.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#209 OFFLINE   litex2x

litex2x

Legend

• Registered
  • 145 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 12:09 PM

I think people have a lot of interest in the dystopian genre and this is probably what keeps people watching because there isn't really anything else like it on TV right now. It's not a bad show but I feel it just hasn't blossomed into anything special yet. The potential is definitely there. I think it would help if they went a bit darker.

#210 OFFLINE   jdskycaster

jdskycaster

Legend

• Registered
  • 272 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 02:15 PM

Or how about just leaving out the painfully predictable fight scenes? The Monroe/Matheson face off was terrible. Was it even necessary for the two of them to meet up when you know neither is going to kill the other off? Let's have a lame sword fight followed by a scramble out the window - not a scratch on either of them.

I have been trying to give this show some rope but it has pretty much hung itself already. Maybe I will have forgotten everything about the show by next spring and will check in to see if it is any better. They definitely need to broaden the scope of this story beyond the Matheson's and Monroe.

#211 OFFLINE   renbutler

renbutler

Godfather

• Registered
  • 562 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 02:49 PM

Or how about just leaving out the painfully predictable fight scenes? The Monroe/Matheson face off was terrible. Was it even necessary for the two of them to meet up when you know neither is going to kill the other off? Let's have a lame sword fight followed by a scramble out the window - not a scratch on either of them.

The fight was lame, but the standoff before it was the first real tension that I recall on the show so far. For a brief time, I was actually thinking that Miles might do something unexpected like re-joining Monroe (allowing the rest of the captives to flee, of course).

That would have been a better cliffhanger than the helicopter, for sure. Other than the death of the British woman, nothing much has been surprising or unpredictable.

#212 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,278 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 29 November 2012 - 07:22 AM

I'm surprised that they were able to keep jet fuel from degrading for 15 years - or somehow hide an 1800s-era refinery (kerosene and other fuels were refined from crude oil before electricity).

I'm surprised they had enough working parts to make an "amplifier" in a place where they didn't even know WHAT parts might be needed, where they would come from, or how they would have worked after 15 years of gathering dust.

The standoff before the swordfight, however, was good. The end didn't make any sense. Why did he lower his gun if he wanted to shoot him? And being in the military, you are trained to never let the enemy get that close to you.

#213 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,253 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 08:40 AM

spoilers guys, spoilers... If you want to talk about what's revealed in an episode please start a thread for that episode.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#214 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,930 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 29 November 2012 - 09:51 AM

spoilers guys, spoilers... If you want to talk about what's revealed in an episode please start a thread for that episode.

I'm pretty sure that's what we've been doing with this thread all along and since all episodes have aired ....
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#215 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,930 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 29 November 2012 - 10:00 AM

I'm surprised that they were able to keep jet fuel from degrading for 15 years - or somehow hide an 1800s-era refinery (kerosene and other fuels were refined from crude oil before electricity).

I'm surprised they had enough working parts to make an "amplifier" in a place where they didn't even know WHAT parts might be needed, where they would come from, or how they would have worked after 15 years of gathering dust.

Yup, I get it ... there are a thousand holes in the technical aspects of this show. I got beyond that when I heard the show was going to be aired. If I had an expectation of the show being remotely accurate I would expect it to be on something other than a major network because 90% of the people watching would be board to tears in reality. It also seems way too easy for the rebels to get explosives this many years later. Seems like those reserves would have been raided long ago.

If reality mattered shows wouldn't be half as fun to watch.

The standoff before the swordfight, however, was good. The end didn't make any sense. Why did he lower his gun if he wanted to shoot him? And being in the military, you are trained to never let the enemy get that close to you.

yeah, this could have been done better, but in the end both Matheson and Monroe had to live. That's just a function of the cast and contracts. If Matheson really wanted to make a difference, he would have pulled the trigger and the story would have taken on new meaning (with either Captain Neville or Jeremy taking the General's spot).

In the end, all this episode did was provide a bridge to the next story arc which we'll see in the spring. For me, I really enjoyed the ride and yes, I rolled my eyes at a few of the show's fallacies, but it certainly didn't mute my enjoyment.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#216 OFFLINE   tsmacro

tsmacro

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,323 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 10:00 AM

I guess it was also lucky that they had a capable helicopter pilot available. I mean after all those years you'd only have so many left in the world you'd think and on top of that you'd think any that were available just might be a bit rusty in their skills and might need a little practice. I guess maybe it's one of those riding a bike things.

"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair." - Douglas Adams

"Who would rule a nation when he could have easier work, such as carrying water uphill in a sieve?" - Robert Jordan

#217 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,253 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 11:03 AM

I'm pretty sure that's what we've been doing with this thread all along and since all episodes have aired ....

Not everyone has seen every episode yet though and still may want to discuss the show in general. The forum rules say you need to either spolierize your posts or start a thread for that specific episode.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#218 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,870 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 29 November 2012 - 11:25 AM

Did we learn why the lights went out? Were we not promised this would be the case?

(An answer might be in the form of a spoiler, i.e., hidden from those who don't want to see the answer.)
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#219 OFFLINE   trainman

trainman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,519 posts
  • LocationSherman Oaks, CA

Posted 30 November 2012 - 11:58 AM

Did we learn why the lights went out? Were we not promised this would be the case?

(An answer might be in the form of a spoiler, i.e., hidden from those who don't want to see the answer.)

We know that Rachel and Ben, among others, had worked on a project that was initially intended to create electrical power, but turned out to have the opposite effect -- and they showed it off to Randall Flynn of the Defense Department, who was very interested.

Because of that, we do know why the lights went out in one sense -- they went out because this technology that "blocks" electrical power was turned on -- but we still don't know, for example, the motivation behind activating the anti-electrical technology in the first place.
trainman is Jim Ellwanger

HR34-700 | Linksys WGA-600N | Samsung 46" LCD | Slimline-5 dish

#220 OFFLINE   tsmacro

tsmacro

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,323 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 02:35 PM

We know that Rachel and Ben, among others, had worked on a project that was initially intended to create electrical power, but turned out to have the opposite effect -- and they showed it off to Randall Flynn of the Defense Department, who was very interested.

Because of that, we do know why the lights went out in one sense -- they went out because this technology that "blocks" electrical power was turned on -- but we still don't know, for example, the motivation behind activating the anti-electrical technology in the first place.

Yes there are still plenty of questions surrounding the whole "why the power went out" thing. Among them are "who actually flipped the switch and why?". And another biggie, so they have this technology that suppresses electrical power, so how does it contunue to do so after all these years? I mean obviously there's some kind of suppression field in place, that's what the little magic pendants manage to overcome in a small local bubble surrounding them right? And of course a bigger bubble with an amplifier apparently. Leave it to a JJ Abrams production to give us a weirdly compelling mystery. I also like the flashback style that they use to fill in the back story little by little, definitely reminds of me of Lost in that way.

#221 OFFLINE   russ9

russ9

Godfather

• Registered
  • 387 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 03:47 PM

Did we learn why the lights went out?

There are no current answers.
Dishing it up since 4-4-1997
vip722K hooked up to a bunch of stuff. Like a bigger TV.

Soon to be on Dish network, explained by a BBC spokesman

#222 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,539 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 01 December 2012 - 12:09 AM

It's all a dream.

DREW
Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Bsm: HR24-1, Den HR24-2, MB: HR24-5, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#223 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,430 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Georgia

Posted 01 December 2012 - 09:16 AM

It's all a dream.

That's what I thought. Someone, please... wake me up! :new_sleep

~ 13 Years on DBSTalk ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#224 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,253 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 05:52 PM

That's what I thought. Someone, please... wake me up! :new_sleep

Why not just stop watching then?
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#225 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,251 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 02 December 2012 - 04:38 AM

I'm losing (not loosing) interest faster than (not then) a jumper going off the GW.

In reference to your, not you're post #58 "Good for you!" :rolleyes:

DIRECTV customer since 1995.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...