Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Which satellite is ESPN 2 SD on?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jutley

jutley

Godfather

• Registered
  • 449 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 12:00 PM

I'm sure this answer is on here somewhere but I'm struggling to find it with a search...

I'm going to do some tailgating with an 18" round dish and a R16-300. Which satellite is ESPN 2 on? Is it on 103?

I know I will have to reset the R16 from SWM mode to use it with the 18" round dish, but is there anything else tricky to this setup?

Thanks in advance for your help!
--Justin

SWiM3 Dish - (2) HR20-700s - (1) R16-300

My Setup

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 ONLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,420 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 13 September 2012 - 12:07 PM

Since you are going to be getting SD signals it will be on the 101.

Since this was hooked up to SWM you will have to go thru the Satellite Setup.
I have not done this but I have read several times that the dish selection will not stay put. You have to go to the Multi switch setting first and choose it, then choose the 18" round dish.
Also, since you probably will only use one cable, set the Tuner to 1 in the satellite set up. Be sure to connect the one cable to the Sat In 1 connection.

Edited by jimmie57, 13 September 2012 - 12:32 PM.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#3 OFFLINE   kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,942 posts
  • LocationOutside Portland, ME

Posted 13 September 2012 - 12:30 PM

ALL SD channels are on the 101 satellites, with the exception of some local channels (Smaller markets), and international programming.

#4 OFFLINE   inf0z

inf0z

Legend

• Registered
  • 260 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 01:44 PM

I'm sure this answer is on here somewhere but I'm struggling to find it with a search...

I'm going to do some tailgating with an 18" round dish and a R16-300. Which satellite is ESPN 2 on? Is it on 103?

I know I will have to reset the R16 from SWM mode to use it with the 18" round dish, but is there anything else tricky to this setup?

Thanks in advance for your help!

You might find this thread helpful. http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=206618

#5 OFFLINE   jutley

jutley

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 449 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 02:13 PM

Thank you all!
--Justin

My Setup

#6 OFFLINE   smitbret

smitbret

Legend

• Registered
  • 130 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 11:20 AM

ALL SD channels are on the 101 satellites, with the exception of some local channels (Smaller markets), and international programming.

This USED to be true. Now they are moving some SD only channels onto the MPEG-4 sats, too. BabyFirst TV comes to mind.

#7 OFFLINE   jutley

jutley

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 449 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 11:24 AM

Is it possible to receive an HD channel on the 18" round dish with an HR20 if it is looking at the correct bird?
--Justin

My Setup

#8 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,968 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 14 September 2012 - 11:46 AM

I guess its more precise to say virtually all SD channels are on the 101 group of satellites in MPEG 2 compression format.

Locals for some smaller markets, Spanish programming (save for two in MPEG 4 HD), some international programming, and the English JLTV, Hope, and NOW channels are carried in SD MPEG 2 on 119.

And some SD channels, both local and CONUS, are in MPEG 4 format on the 99 and 103 Ka band satellite groups.

#9 OFFLINE   Diana C

Diana C

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,814 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 14 September 2012 - 12:22 PM

Is it possible to receive an HD channel on the 18" round dish with an HR20 if it is looking at the correct bird?

All the HD channels are currently broadcast on the Ka band, so theoretically, IF you had the right kind of LNB, then yes, you could receive HD with a 20" round reflector, but only from a single satellite at a time.

If you are talking about the LNB that shipped with the 18" round dishes, then no, you can't recieve HD that way.

Dish Network Customer from 9/1998-11/2001
DirecTV Customer 10/2001 - 7/2014

FiOS TV/TiVo Customer since 6/2014
Moderator, DBSDish.com 1999-2000
Co-Founder and Administrator, DBSForums.com 2000-2006

Current setup:
DirecTV: HR34-700 (1TB) / HR24-100 (1TB) / HR24-500 (1TB) / HR21-700 (320GB) / HR21-100 (1TB) / 2 H25s / C41-500 / SWiM16 / Nomad / CCK

FiOS: 2 Tivo Roamio Pros (6 TB total) / 5 Tivo Minis attached via MOCA

#10 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,968 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 01:01 PM

All the HD channels are currently broadcast on the Ka band, ...

With the exception of Spanish MEGA HD (405), and TFTwHD (408) which are on 119 Ku band Tp. 24.

#11 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,317 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 14 September 2012 - 01:05 PM

All the HD channels are currently broadcast on the Ka band, so theoretically, IF you had the right kind of LNB, then yes, you could receive HD with a 20" round reflector, but only from a single satellite at a time.

If you are talking about the LNB that shipped with the 18" round dishes, then no, you can't recieve HD that way.

I dont hink this would be possible, given that if the dish only has a single LNB, it must point to the 101 FIRST to boot up and acquire gude data. then it must be move to the one of the Ka band satellites but the problem would be that there is no data in the receiver to tune to any of those channels.

#12 OFFLINE   Newshawk

Newshawk

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,427 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 01:37 PM

I dont hink this would be possible, given that if the dish only has a single LNB, it must point to the 101 FIRST to boot up and acquire gude data. then it must be move to the one of the Ka band satellites but the problem would be that there is no data in the receiver to tune to any of those channels.

It wouldn't be possible but not for the reason you gave. Because of the physical and electronic differences between the Ku and the Ka band LNBs, one single LNB cannot receive signal from both. If it is a Ku LNB, it won't receive MPEG4 transponders, so you won't see HD. If it is a Ka LNB, it won't receive authorizations, guide and time/date signals from the 101 or 119 satellites as well as the MPEG2 SD channels.

A better HD tailgate solution is to put a Slimline 3 LNB on a 18x20 dish. It wouldn't be the best solution, but if you search the forums here you'll find a thread on someone who got it to work... more or less.

DIRECTV employee April 2004-November 2012.
The above comments are my own because I don't know if anyone would care about my opinions anymore.

#13 OFFLINE   jutley

jutley

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 449 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 09:29 AM

Great info! Thanks again for all of the help!
--Justin

My Setup

#14 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,579 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 17 September 2012 - 10:14 AM

... and 30+ Sonic Tap channels.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#15 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,579 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 17 September 2012 - 10:22 AM

Because of the physical and electronic differences between the Ku and the Ka band LNBs, one single LNB cannot receive signal from both.

This is the frequent lament of the RVer. It comes down mostly to the frequencies being so different. The electronics could be handled through new switchgear but a single horn that tunes multiple bands would be quite a feat to mass produce.

If it were feasible, they wouldn't be mounting Slimline dishes on RVs.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#16 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,968 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 11:17 AM

This is the frequent lament of the RVer. It comes down mostly to the frequencies being so different. The electronics could be handled through new switchgear but a single horn that tunes multiple bands would be quite a feat to mass produce.

If it were feasible, they wouldn't be mounting Slimline dishes on RVs.

It's not just frequency band difference, but location as well. Even with a multi-band Ka/Ku horn for a single satellite slot, it wouldn't help since system info., receiver authorizations, guide info. FW updates, etc. come from transponders at 101 Ku, with some of that data (chiefly guide info.) mirrored on 119 Ku. This then must be received *concurrently* with any selected HD programming from 99 and 103 Ka.

#17 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,579 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 19 September 2012 - 08:15 AM

This then must be received *concurrently* with any selected HD programming from 99 and 103 Ka.

You don't think this is possible? Because of the frequency difference, it seems likely that the antennas inside the horn must be different for each band. As I said, a new stack plan would be in order and the WB68 plan demonstrated that slots can be mixed.

#18 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,968 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 02:08 PM

You don't think this is possible? ...

I'm saying even if it were possible its irrelevant since the Ka and Ku birds are at different orbital locations.

... Because of the frequency difference, it seems likely that the antennas inside the horn must be different for each band. As I said, a new stack plan would be in order and the WB68 plan demonstrated that slots can be mixed.

Again the design requirements of a Ka/Ku combo horn for a single satellite slot is not relevant here since the Ka and Ku satellites are at different orbital locations anyhow.

That is unless DIRECTV is planning on broadcasting on Ka band from 101W, 110W or 119W in the future or something.

spam firewall