Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

sling adapter stopped working

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   356B

356B

Icon

• Registered
  • 893 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 07 October 2012 - 03:20 PM

S2.23 is testing now ... perhaps the fix is included.

:lol:
Thank you and
Best of luck

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   eddwall

eddwall

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 10:29 PM

Thanks for the idea about how to clear the sling adapter problem fastford19 by: Choosing what you want to view on the remote device or web site, going into the Hopper's Settings -> Diagnostics -> System Status, and after a few seconds exiting out (don't stay in too long, or the client will report that a user is performing a switch reset).

Here's what I think is happening:

When you first connect to the Hopper via Sling, the Sling adapter is RANDOMLY connected to an available tuner on a RANDOM channel, and then it switches to the desired thing (the desired channel, or a DVR recording). If that initial randomly tuned channel happens to be one that you DO NOT subscribe to, game over, the Sling will never get past an unseen "you are not subscribed" situation and you're dead. (You can verify this stuck condition by pressing the RED button on the remote to show all the tuners -- you'll see SLING_SSA tuned to a channel you're not subscribed to.)

Unfortunately, even rebooting the receiver does not often cause the Sling to choose a different (hopefully subscribed) channel. I think the reason that fastford19's solution above works is because viewing the system status disrupts/disconnects all of the tuners, including the Sling's, and then the app (or web site) can now have a better shot of getting the Hopper to tune the Sling adapter to a different (hopefully subscribed) channel and not get stuck.

Of course the solution only works when you're at home, so its use is limited to using a computer/phone/tablet at home -- if you're on the road, you're stuck.

PS. Dish Support says they'll be pushing an update out to correct this next week.

Temporary fix when you get stuck on unsubscribed channel.

Disconnect sling . Busy all tuners by using Joeys or PIP, or setup recordings. You want all three tuners to be busy. Then try to connect with sling, you should get "all tuners are busy message", but this time your menu screen will come up . It is where you can change channels, DVR commands and others commands. Leave tablet, smartphone, or other device right there on screen. Now release at least one tuner and make it available. Use connecting device smartphone, tablet etc. and hit the "LIVE" button. This will connect you back to Hopper tuner through sling. You will still connect to unsubscribed channel, but this time you have the channel menu and can change the channel to a valid one. Your sling will work and connect for several days until it happens again.

#23 OFFLINE   356B

356B

Icon

• Registered
  • 893 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 07 October 2012 - 10:46 PM

I click the "Last" button when I get the busy signal...I get a random channel but it works every time, on the iMac and PB, other mobile media I don't know. :icon_cool
Thank you and
Best of luck

#24 OFFLINE   sporttster

sporttster

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 02:44 AM

I'm having connection problems as well. It's slow to start and then it tries to find recievers. When this sits for a couple minutes, it times out and says 'connection timeout'. I've tried resetting the app, clearing data, uninstall and reinstall, turning Razr off and back on. Nothing gets it to stop this. And it's random. I'll be watching something, turn it off. Come back later and bam, I can't get on the app (android). I did it enough tonight trying to get it to connect and it started popping up a box that said 'technical problem' and wouldn't log on. It's been doing this alot lately. What gives???:confused:

spam firewall