Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Hopper upgrade cost question

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   gigo

gigo

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 04:40 PM

I searched and tried to find information on upgrade costs before posting this, but after talking with dish, I feel like this is a cost prohibitive upgrade.

Can anyone provide insight into what I should expect to be paying for this and if it's really worth it? I'm out of contract, always pay on time, and have been a customer going on 9 years. I feel like there is no loyalty back, which I can understand to a point -- but honestly, with all these disputes on programming -- I wonder if I'm really better off with a different provider.

First rep told me $300 for a single hopper. Next rep said $100 w/ 10 discount per month credits. I saw some people get 2 hoppers/no joeys for $200. Rep denied this possibility, but I've read it on this forum. He said impossible.

Please set me straight. Maybe I'm not a high valued customer (only about 100 per month account).

Thanks in advance!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   garys

garys

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,162 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 05:00 PM

I'd PM a DIRT member for help. Without access to your history, we cannot comment on anything you could get off. The $200 deal seems the most likely.

#3 OFFLINE   randob

randob

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 05:46 PM

They told me $99 or $100 for a Hopper & 2 Joeys on the phone, and then when I got my bill, there was an extra $95 for a tech visit since I didn't have the "protection" plan. Luckily got the tech visit down to $20 by retroactively signing up for 4 months of the plan.

#4 OFFLINE   saberfly

saberfly

Legend

• Registered
  • 195 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 07:41 PM

Just got 2 room setup. $100 for upgrade and signed up for protection plan so service call was free or $15. Not sure. Even with $25 early cancel of plan fee its cheaper than $95 service call. I got a new dish also. A nice looking black one. Going from a 722 it is $11 more a month. Hope this helps.

#5 OFFLINE   oldengineer

oldengineer

Godfather

• Registered
  • 455 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 07:52 AM

I got 2 Hoppers and 2 Joeys in March for $200. The second rep's quote of $100 for 1 Hopper with a $10.00/mo credit sounds good to me.

2H/1J

#6 OFFLINE   gigo

gigo

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 08:59 AM

Yes, I was seriously considering the $100 for 1 hopper, w/ 10 credit per month for a year, but I was disconnected when she was checking something else...

When I called back, the rep I talked to sounded like he wanted nothing to do with me, which kind of left a bad taste in my mouth. I mean, I understand they owe me nothing, but it seems like I'm better off being a new customer somewhere else.

Right now, I'm just gathering information to make a decision. I appreciate all the inputs!

#7 OFFLINE   garys

garys

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,162 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 09:46 AM

It's possible, you are right on the second csr or they are new or they let the previous customer get to them or they are reading off an old script or any number of circumstances. When you consider how many csr's Dish has it should be understandable but that is no reason for the csr to take it out on you. I'd wait till you are past his attitude and call back and get a different csr. I find you get better service by either PM'ing a DIRT member here or by using the online chat with Dish.

#8 OFFLINE   dmspen

dmspen

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,380 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 02:28 PM

I got installed yesterday. $100. And my monthly bill reduced about $10/month.

#9 OFFLINE   uawildcat7

uawildcat7

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 04:11 PM

Is there any secret to getting dish to upgrade without charging $300 plus. They quote that everytime I have talked to someone. Thanks

Zach

#10 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,727 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 22 September 2012 - 04:56 PM

What about reading first and most thread in the forum ? There are a lot of shared info how to get it for free. ;)

#11 OFFLINE   garys

garys

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,162 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 09:46 PM

Is there any secret to getting dish to upgrade without charging $300 plus. They quote that everytime I have talked to someone. Thanks

Zach

There may be a lot of factors which most people here don't have access to, PM a DIRT member and have them check on your account.

#12 OFFLINE   domingos35

domingos35

Icon

• Registered
  • 536 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 08:25 AM

2 Hoppers ,1 Joey installed for $200

#13 OFFLINE   uawildcat7

uawildcat7

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 08:32 AM

Domingo,
Did you go through dish members here or call them?

spam firewall