Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Helping Parents with loss of Signal on Even transponders!!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   bashy

bashy

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 12:21 AM

Hello Everyone,

Glad I found this forum and I was hoping to get some help before I head out to my parents house this weekend (about 2 hour drive). Quick breakdown is this.

My parents moved into an apartment building in Los Angeles and wanted to keep their DTV. The Balcony was not facing the direction needed so one of the building maintenance workers offered to pull a cable from the roof of the building through the building and charged them $200 for the work. I have not had a chance to look at the work myself but the story I've been told by my dad is that "some times we do have problem with even transponders (18V) on all there satellites! they seem to only work when other tenant using the dish turns on their receiver "

I asked him to take pictures of the roof setup which I have uploaded hxxp://www.dropmocks.com/mBkqnJ (Sorry didn't have 5 min posts to put proper URL. Please allow time for all 8 pics to load) I also just found out today that they used RG6 cable and not rg59. My first guess is that the cable run is weak but wanted to confirm with experts and hoping the pictures show that everything is wired correctly. They are using port 6 on the switch in the picture connected to the black RG6 Cable. ( H21-100 IRD )

Edited by bashy, 14 September 2012 - 12:30 AM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,591 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 14 September 2012 - 12:54 AM

RG6 is what you want, not RG59.

But it looks like you've got reception issues with some of the satellites' even transponders, too. Missing all odd or even transponders is usually caused by a poor coax connector at the dish or multiswitch. Check those coax connectors for any stray shield wires or corrosion. But it could be a defective multiswitch. Yours looks like it's seen better days.

That's not a proper dish or multiswitch installation, either. You really don't want the switch laying on the roof like that, subject to moisture during heavy rain. And you should a few more cinder blocks on the sled mount to ensure that the dish doesn't move during high winds.

Please post back with your signal readings for each satellite's transponders (and both tuners if applicable). You'll find these readings under "Menu" -> "Setup" -> "System Setup" -> Satellite -> "View Signal Strength". Note the "+" and "-" symbols next to the "Satellite" and "Tuner" entries where you can toggle the readings between the various satellites and both DVR tuners.

Fill in your readings for each satellite and tuner using these examples. A properly aligned dish will show 80-90s on most of the relevant transponders (although some will be low or zero):

Satellite transponders (32 total at 101º)
[Most of your standard definition channels are beamed from 101ºW]
1-8 x x x x x x x x
9-16 x x x x x x x x
17-24 x x x x x x x x
25-32 x x x x x x x x

Satellite transponders (3 total at 110º)
[Not present with Slimline3 dish. No channels are currently beamed from this satellite]
1-8 NA NA NA NA NA NA NA x
9-16 NA x NA x NA NA NA NA

Satellite transponders (11 total at 119º)
[Not present with Slimline 3 dish. Local SD channels for some cities, Spanish package]
17-24 NA NA NA NA NA x x x
25-32 x x x x x x x x

Satellite transponders (16 total at 99º(s)) [or 99º(b)]
[Local HD channels for some cities]
1-8 x x x x x x NA NA
9-16 NA NA NA NA NA NA x x
17-24 x x x x x x x x
[Note: these can be very slow to appear]

Satellite transponders (14 total at 99º©) [or 99º(a)]
[National HD channels]
1-8 x x x x x x x x
9-16 x x x x x x NA NA
[Note, these can be very slow to appear]

Satellite transponders (16 total at 103º(s)) [or 103º(a)]
[Local HD channels for some cities]
1-8 x x x x x x NA NA
9-16 NA NA NA NA NA NA x x
17-24 x x x x x x x x
[Note, these can be very slow to appear]

Satellite transponders (16 total at 103º(ca))
[National HD channels beamed from D12 satellite]
1-8 NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA
9-16 x x x x x x x x
17-24 x x x x x x x x

Satellite transponders (14 total at 103º(cb)) [or 103º(b)]
[National HD channels beamed from D10 satellite]
1-8 x x x x x x x x
9-16 x x x x x x NA NA
17-24 NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA

Satellite transponders (9 total at SWM)
[You'll only see this if you have a Single Wire Multiswitch (SWM) dish]
1-8 x x x x x x x x
9-16 x NA NA NA NA NA NA NA
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#3 OFFLINE   bashy

bashy

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 01:50 AM

Thank you for the prompt help. I will check this weekend and report back. Also I think the cable was the other way around rg59!! not sure will find out soon.

Thank again.

#4 OFFLINE   Floyd

Floyd

Legend

• Registered
  • 131 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 06:06 AM

I can't see the pictures, but the multiswitch and the LNB each require the proper voltages to enable them to switch between odd and even channels. If the cable runs between the receivers and the multi-switch and the dish are too long, or if the connections are not clean there may be a voltage drop that will result in the switches not working. The voltages required are 13 and 17 volts DC. You can disconnect the outdoor fittings to check for corrosion. You can take a meter and check the voltages, but without the cable connected to the multi-switch and the LNB there is no load on the system and you can get a false reading. To get the correct reading you have to use some kind of a jumper at the dish so you can test the voltage while the LNB is connected. Since the system works when the neighbor's receiver is on, his receiver may provide enough extra juice to operate the system, though this can affect the multi-switch as well. His receiver should provide voltage even when off, but it might be the wrong one for you. You can temporarily bypass the multiswitch and just use your receiver to see if that makes a difference.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...