Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

H20 New Software Update?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   maineengineer

maineengineer

Mentor

• Registered
  • 34 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 10:03 AM

If there are any H20 receivers left in the field, besides mine (humor), you will note that there appears to have been a new software update in the last few days, the first in a couple of years I understand, to version 0x420A. We'd be VERY curious if anyone can provide information as to what it contains, as nothing seems apparent at the user level. I would have thought that they would be trying to phase out this older model, rather than updating it. I've kept mine for the integrated OTA tuner, and with an external fan it hasn't burned up yet. Thanks.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,744 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 14 September 2012 - 10:06 AM

At least you can see some historic data at www.redh.com/dtv (I mean date, version and size ).

#3 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,834 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 10:07 AM

I will ask but I believe it's just under the hood stuff. In fact the H20 has been phased out for some time; DIRECTV techs are supposed to replace them at no cost when they see them, and give you an H24. You can call DIRECTV and they can get you an AM21 for the off-air stuff.

Edited by Stuart Sweet, 14 September 2012 - 10:45 AM.

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#4 OFFLINE   maineengineer

maineengineer

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 34 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 10:49 AM

I had presumed as much, but as my screen name would indicate I'm always very much interested in the under-the-hood stuff. It was at least a mild curiosity to me that after two years there would be reason enough to apply software design time and effort to an outdated receiver, so I'm wondering after all that time what bugs needed to be fixed, or what needed to be added or deleted, that sort of thing. Thank you for asking.

#5 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,479 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 14 September 2012 - 11:40 AM

I would be extremely surprised if we ever found out. I believe that software isn't even developed by DirecTV in house.

#6 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,589 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 14 September 2012 - 01:08 PM

I will ask but I believe it's just under the hood stuff. In fact the H20 has been phased out for some time; DIRECTV techs are supposed to replace them at no cost when they see them, and give you an H24. You can call DIRECTV and they can get you an AM21 for the off-air stuff.

I would say that tech are supposed to replace an H20 receiver with an HD receiver, there is no guarantee that a customer would get an H24

#7 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,744 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 14 September 2012 - 02:41 PM

I would be extremely surprised if we ever found out. I believe that software isn't even developed by DirecTV in house.

It's based on NDS and DTV code/libs but developing by each manufacturer for its models.

#8 OFFLINE   dudester

dudester

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 10:36 PM

I just received another replacement h20 last week and when I plugged it in , it had a high pitched squeel. Just received another replacemnt h20 today. Rep said they where going to recomend me getting a h21 but i guess they must have a warehouse of reconditioned h20s left.

#9 OFFLINE   alnielsen

alnielsen

Godfather

• Registered
  • 451 posts
  • LocationDuPage Co. IL

Posted 12 October 2012 - 07:49 AM

I just received another replacement h20 last week and when I plugged it in , it had a high pitched sequel. Just received another replacement h20 today. Rep said they where going to recommend me getting a h21 but i guess they must have a warehouse of reconditioned h20s left.

Was this from a D* employee or a contractor?

Direct TV subscriber since 1999
Choice Ultimate Customer
Equipment:: HR21-700 HR20-700 H20-100 (owned) SlimLine 5 Antenna
Winegard HD 8800 8-Bay for OTA

KC9ZOU

#10 OFFLINE   dudester

dudester

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 02:42 PM

It was a replacement reciever from Directv customer service. Receive a new replacement yesterday and it also is a h20 with the same squeel. It quited down after while but when i turned it OFF it squeeled while off. You can here it 20 ft away. Customer service is now requesting a tech look at it.

Edited by dudester, 13 October 2012 - 05:43 AM.

#11 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,149 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 09:39 PM

I had presumed as much, but as my screen name would indicate I'm always very much interested in the under-the-hood stuff. It was at least a mild curiosity to me that after two years there would be reason enough to apply software design time and effort to an outdated receiver, so I'm wondering after all that time what bugs needed to be fixed, or what needed to be added or deleted, that sort of thing. Thank you for asking.

security updates?

HDCP? updates
I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#12 OFFLINE   alnielsen

alnielsen

Godfather

• Registered
  • 451 posts
  • LocationDuPage Co. IL

Posted 13 October 2012 - 09:48 AM

It was a replacement reciever from Directv customer service. Receive a new replacement yesterday and it also is a h20 with the same squeel. It quited down after while but when i turned it OFF it squeeled while off. You can here it 20 ft away. Customer service is now requesting a tech look at it.

It's likely a cooling fan. I can't think of anything else in there that would actually move. Do you have anything placed on top of the unit?

Choice Ultimate Customer

KC9ZOU

#13 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,744 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 13 October 2012 - 05:19 PM

don't discard hard drive, some of them very soundly living

#14 OFFLINE   alnielsen

alnielsen

Godfather

• Registered
  • 451 posts
  • LocationDuPage Co. IL

Posted 13 October 2012 - 05:45 PM

don't discard hard drive, some of them very soundly living

In a H20? This isn't a DVR.

Choice Ultimate Customer

KC9ZOU

#15 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,744 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 13 October 2012 - 07:07 PM

oops

forget about it :)

#16 OFFLINE   dudester

dudester

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 11:31 AM

It's likely a cooling fan. I can't think of anything else in there that would actually move. Do you have anything placed on top of the unit?

There is no cooling fan, it was definatly a electrical issue possibly from the power supply. Tech came out yesterday and put in a h21. As soon as the h20 was plugged in he said well thats no good. When the old h20 warmed up it died down but chirped when changing a channel. When it was turned off it started squeeling loudly again and was hard to get turned back on. These where both h20-100 that they sent to replace a-600. Never had noise from 600 in same position , just heat and finally went dead after 6 years.

spam firewall