Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Pause or Cancel advice needed, DVR & external HDD implications

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   zirb

zirb

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 11:58 AM

Longtime Dish customer with a VIP 622 DVR and external HDD. At the end of the month, I am moving temporarily (about 5-6 months) to an apartment while my new house gets built. The apartment has a deal with DirectTV, so no Dish Network possible. I'll probably get cable for a while.

I will likely stick with Dish in the new house as it is the most cost effective option and I have lots of unwatched DVR-ed material - some on the DVR, much on an external HDD

I'm considering the Dish Pause that I've heard of as I assume that means I get to keep the equipment and therefore maintain my archive of stuff. However I have considered canceling so that we I re-sign up in 5-6 months I might get a good deal on new equipment (hopper or something like that). Maybe add some additional TVs (right now just using the one unit to run 2 TVs), or SLING. Obviously I'd loose the stuff on my DVR, but would the External HDD stuff remain accessible if I connect it to a new model receiver? I remember reading once that it might not. Anyone confirmed this?

Am also concerned about how I deal with the actual satellite. I'd like to take advantage of Dish Mover, but the installation at the new location wouldn't happen for 5-6 months. Can I get a Dish Mover combined with a Pause? Or should I just remove the Dish myself. (I hate heights! :nono2: )

Edited by zirb, 14 September 2012 - 12:17 PM.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   Ray C@DISH Network

Ray C@DISH Network

Icon

• DISH Representative
  • 914 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 12:44 PM

You can pause your account for $5 per month plus tax. Of course, you can cancel your account, if not under contract, and sign-up as a new customer anytime after 90 days. If you are still under contract, there is an early termination fee.

Since you have a 622 receiver, the EHD is compatible with a 722/722k or Hopper receiver. Any content is transferrable or viewable from the EHD.

You should be able to do a Dish Mover after ceasing the Pause when you are ready to move to your new home. The technician installs a new dish at the new home. We don't usually remove the old dish. If you have further questions, please let me know. Thanks.

Longtime Dish customer with a VIP 622 DVR and external HDD. At the end of the month, I am moving temporarily (about 5-6 months) to an apartment while my new house gets built. The apartment has a deal with DirectTV, so no Dish Network possible. I'll probably get cable for a while.

I will likely stick with Dish in the new house as it is the most cost effective option and I have lots of unwatched DVR-ed material - some on the DVR, much on an external HDD

I'm considering the Dish Pause that I've heard of as I assume that means I get to keep the equipment and therefore maintain my archive of stuff. However I have considered canceling so that we I re-sign up in 5-6 months I might get a good deal on new equipment (hopper or something like that). Maybe add some additional TVs (right now just using the one unit to run 2 TVs), or SLING. Obviously I'd loose the stuff on my DVR, but would the External HDD stuff remain accessible if I connect it to a new model receiver? I remember reading once that it might not. Anyone confirmed this?

Am also concerned about how I deal with the actual satellite. I'd like to take advantage of Dish Mover, but the installation at the new location wouldn't happen for 5-6 months. Can I get a Dish Mover combined with a Pause? Or should I just remove the Dish myself. (I hate heights! :nono2: )

#3 OFFLINE   boba

boba

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 12:53 PM

You can pause your account for $5 per month plus tax. Of course, you can cancel your account, if not under contract, and sign-up as a new customer anytime after 90 days. If you are still under contract, there is an early termination fee.

Since you have a 622 receiver, the EHD is compatible with a 722/722k or Hopper receiver. Any content is transferrable or viewable from the EHD.

You should be able to do a Dish Mover after ceasing the Pause when you are ready to move to your new home. The technician installs a new dish at the new home. We don't usually remove the old dish. If you have further questions, please let me know. Thanks.

Ray missed one important thing if you CANCEL you loose everything on the EHD it is tied to your account # .

#4 OFFLINE   puckwithahalo

puckwithahalo

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,286 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 01:35 PM

Ray missed one important thing if you CANCEL you loose everything on the EHD it is tied to your account # .

If they restart with the same account, the EHD will be fine.
The postings on this site are my own and don't represent Dish's positions, strategies, or opinions.

-Puck

#5 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,909 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 14 September 2012 - 04:35 PM

Can people do that, though? I don't know that there is any way to guarantee once you cancel that you could get your old account re-instated... it's a big risk to take.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#6 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,419 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 14 September 2012 - 04:48 PM

Isn't that the definition of DISH Pause? Canceling seems pretty final.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#7 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,419 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 14 September 2012 - 04:54 PM

You've posted some pretty confusing conflicts for having only three paragraphs. If you cancel, whatever is on the EHD is toast, right?

Are you recommending the ViP722 as an up-sell on the DISH Mover? Maybe I just don't see the value in going from a ViP622 + EHD to a ViP722.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#8 OFFLINE   Mojo Jojo

Mojo Jojo

Legend

• Registered
  • 134 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 06:21 PM

The Welcome Pack is another option for $14.99/month along with locals in HD where available (and SD) along with some other SD cable channels like History, TBS, MTV 2, The Hub, Hallmark, Boomerang, etc. Other a la carte options may be able to be added like Encore Movie Pack ($5/month;341-347;377--no BB@Home or/and Epix a la carte last time I checked).
FMI:
http://www.mydish.co...elcomepack.aspx
Or
http://www.dish.com/...ckages/welcome/

Edited by Mojo Jojo, 14 September 2012 - 06:28 PM.

#9 OFFLINE   gtal98

gtal98

Godfather

• Registered
  • 363 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 06:58 PM

The apartment has a deal with DirectTV, so no Dish Network possible. I'll probably get cable for a while.

It's completely up to you if you want to argue with the apartment complex about this, but they cannot prevent you from getting Dish just because they have a "deal" with DirecTV. If Dish can be installed on your patio/balcony (an area you have the exclusive use of) without damaging their property they cannot legally stop you from having it. (FCC Reference)

However, they may think otherwise and get upset with you, so if you want to deal with potential issues it's up to you. Just letting you know your rights.

#10 OFFLINE   puckwithahalo

puckwithahalo

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,286 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 07:13 AM

Can people do that, though? I don't know that there is any way to guarantee once you cancel that you could get your old account re-instated... it's a big risk to take.

99% of the time when an account is restarted with dish its the same account reopened. Easy way to be sure is to to say you need to reopen your old account and give the phone number the old account was listed under.
The postings on this site are my own and don't represent Dish's positions, strategies, or opinions.

-Puck

#11 ONLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,301 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 09:24 AM

99% of the time when an account is restarted with dish its the same account reopened. Easy way to be sure is to to say you need to reopen your old account and give the phone number the old account was listed under.

Would the household code be the same on the restored account? We have had reports on the forum of people who upgraded from 622/722 to Hopper who lost their household code in the process and can't play their old EHD programs. If the same household code is not restored on the restarted account the old EHD programs would be unplayable.

#12 OFFLINE   puckwithahalo

puckwithahalo

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,286 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 02:07 PM

Would the household code be the same on the restored account? We have had reports on the forum of people who upgraded from 622/722 to Hopper who lost their household code in the process and can't play their old EHD programs. If the same household code is not restored on the restarted account the old EHD programs would be unplayable.

I believe the household code would be maintained, otherwise customers with RV accounts would lose all EHD content whenever they disconnected for the winter and reconnected the next spring or whatnot. However, I will double-check and get back to you.

-Puck

#13 OFFLINE   Michael P

Michael P

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,941 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 04:41 PM

Do you own the 622? If so you can still view the content on the HD (and I presume the EHD) without a dish connected. It may ask you for your PIN number if locks were in place, but after you enter it you can view the recordings.

If you know for certain that you are going to have E* at your new home than it's worth the $5/mo pause. Also I'd try to hang a dish off a balcony at the temporary residence. Since you would not be at the temporary residence long enough for a D* contract that would be a good argument for the temporary E* dish.

#14 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,502 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 11:13 AM

Full cancellation might be a bit of a roll of the dice.

Restarting the old account might recover the EHD and it might not, depending on what the CSR does to the account both when it is closed and when the re-open is attempted.
Tuners: Hopper 2000; Hopper w/Sling; 3 Joeys; Samsung SIR-T351; Accurian 6000;2 X HD TiVo; 2 X TiVo Series 2 Stand alone; Panasonic Showstopper 2000
Dish 1000.2 @ 110, 119, 129; dish 500 @ 61.5
Antennas - CM4228; RS U75-R; coathanger; Funke PSP.1922 (stillin the box); paperclip
Displays: Sony VPH D50Q with HD Fury HDMI input; Hitachi 57F59; Sony Bravia LCD;Sanyo 32" LCD; Panasonic 42" plasma
Sony 80GB PS3; Toshiba HD-DVD

Give me a Finco colinear array and I'll rule the world - HA-HA-HA-HA!

Protected By... spam firewall...And...