Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

HR21-700 dying, thinking of HR34+WH

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   J_BIRD_MEDIC

J_BIRD_MEDIC

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 12:35 PM

Hard drive on HR21 going and getting worse by the day, have tried all options other than reformat. Off contract and its past due for upgrade.

Interested in HR34 + MRV, but after I talked to retention, I was told I need:
HR34 at retail $399.
MRV install at retail $199.
3 HD receivers to replace current SD at retail total $297.
They want me to pay for $600 for HR34 and MRV and they will throw in the 3HD receivers at $297.

At present I have no HDTV, would like HD capability of HR34 for living room only but not needed now, and if I do nothing in HD dont understand why I would need to replace my 3 current SD receivers that are working fine (1 is DVR).

I had hoped I could work deal with new contract to get HR34 and MRV installed at no costs but got blindsided by the apparent need to replace all the receivers.
The 1TB, 5 tuners and whole home are much more important than HD.
If it wasnt this time of year when the HR21 is dying I wouldnt mind investing some cash into hardware but between birthdays and christmas around the corner I cant afford to dish out several hundred in cash at the moment, and the wife is driving me crazy to get HR21 replaced ASAP.

Thoughts, ideas, suggestions, criticisms!?!

(noob to the board, have used for reference many times but never registered or posted before)

Edited by J_BIRD_MEDIC, 14 September 2012 - 01:09 PM.
WH=MRV Noob mistake

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,149 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 14 September 2012 - 01:23 PM

WHDVR only works among HD equipment. so while you can get the HR34 along with the SWM, DirecTV will only replace non-SWM receivers to SWM compatible models. like a D11 would be replaced with a D12 and a R15 would be replaced with an R16. and SD receivers are not compatible with WHDVR. my advice to you is to forget about WHDVR, for now. as upgrading to SWM requires SWM. so make a deal for the HR34 and the HD receivers, and once everything is installed add the WHDVR programming, this way you save a cool $199

#3 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,354 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 14 September 2012 - 02:39 PM

If it were me, I would upgrade my TVs to HD before I got into the HD receivers.
Your eyes will thank you for the HD TV and then especially the HD receivers to make them do all they are capable of.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

spam firewall