Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

IR to RF conversion for HR2Xs

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jaguar325

jaguar325

Legend

• Registered
  • 247 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 01:51 PM

I am looking for a solution to be able to convert IR back to D* RF.

The situation is that I have 3 DVRs and 2 receivers sharing programming across LAN-based whole home. Everything works great so I really don't want to mess with a good thing. The new variable is that the wife wants a TV in our new porch. I don't want a receiver out there so plan to use a new Gefen extender coming out this month that works off of a single CAT6 cable and only requires power on the sending side. Whether I use the Gefen's built-in IR capability or my Xantech wall receiver on the porch, I am still going to end up with IR signal back at the DVR. I don't want to switch the DVR back to IR because it works better for other rooms with RF.

Does anybody know of a proven method of converting the IR coming in from the porch back to RF that would be compatible with an HR20 and/or HR21? We only use D* remotes.

Thanks,

Big K
- HR22-100 & HR20-100 to: Mitsubishi 52244 LCD and 52249 LCD shared w/ HDMI splitters
- H21-100 (2) to: Sony KDL46XBR2 LCD (HDMI), Sony KDL46W3000 LCD (HDMI)
- HR20-700 to: Mitsubishi HD 60" Rear-Projection (component)
- 3LNB Slimline with Zinwell WB616 and WB68
- Gefen 2-way HDMI 1.3 splitters on HR20-100 and HR22-100
- Yamaha RX-V2065/V800/V2090/V1070, YSP800
- Thunder provided by M&K, Def Tech subs

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 02:06 PM

I'll have to check out that new Gefen piece. I really like their products.

I know of nothing that will convert IR to the RF frequencies that DirecTV uses.

It's not exactly what you want to do but you could use a Next Generation remote extender plus some extra transmitters to operate everything.

1) Select IR for the receiver. That will take care of the porch.

2) Get a Next Generation RF remote extender for one of your other rooms. It will turn the IR remote into an RF one, giving you RF operation in the other rooms.

3) Buy extra transmitters for the additional rooms this receiver serves. These are rechargeable batteries plus transmitters that replace one of the batteries in your DirecTV remotes. I find with DirecTV remotes it works best to replace the outermost battery.

Make sure you get the right transmitters. There are two different frequencies of transmitters and you want to stay all with one frequency.

I have used the Next Generation RF remote extenders for years in both customer homes and my home. They have a greater range and sensitivity than the RF section of the DirecTV remotes and are invisible in their operation. They just work and about as flawlessly as anything out there. In my house, I have a situation similar to yours where I have a HR20 that feeds two TVs through a HDMI splitter. I use a Next Generation system with transmitters in two DirecTV remotes, one at each TV.
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#3 OFFLINE   jaguar325

jaguar325

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 247 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 02:34 PM

Thanks for your reply... got me to thinking: instead of running IR from the porch to the A/V cabinet with the DVR, do you know of anything that would just extend the RF signal from the porch? It's only another 20-30 feet from another room that I already use RF from. Maybe all I need to do is find a way to boost the RF signal enough to get from the porch to the A/V equipment and leave well enough alone.

If you are interested, here is the URL for the new extender coming out:

http://www.gefen.com...TB-HDBT-POL.pdf

Some distributors are advertising it in the high $200s. Gefen tech support said that it should be fine for the 75-100ft. I need to extend across using existing unshielded CAT6. The reason I like their stuff is that I have had zero issues with compatibility, signal interference, etc..

-Big K
- HR22-100 & HR20-100 to: Mitsubishi 52244 LCD and 52249 LCD shared w/ HDMI splitters
- H21-100 (2) to: Sony KDL46XBR2 LCD (HDMI), Sony KDL46W3000 LCD (HDMI)
- HR20-700 to: Mitsubishi HD 60" Rear-Projection (component)
- 3LNB Slimline with Zinwell WB616 and WB68
- Gefen 2-way HDMI 1.3 splitters on HR20-100 and HR22-100
- Yamaha RX-V2065/V800/V2090/V1070, YSP800
- Thunder provided by M&K, Def Tech subs

#4 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 02:42 PM

Thanks for the link. Nice Gefen piece. I can see why you like it.

No, unfortunately, I know of no RF repeater, which is your new idea. Maybe somebody else has an answer for you but my experience is that everyone stays away from proprietary RF remotes like those used by DirecTV and Bose.
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

Protected By... spam firewall...And...