Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

New channel Cinemoi to debut on Monday

• Please log in to reply
90 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   mnassour

mnassour

Icon

• Registered
  • 832 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 07:57 PM

Hoping that it is at least 16x9 SD. That does make a difference. More pixels.

What bothers me is that anytime we've seen 16X9 on a 4X3 frame anywhere on DirecTV, it's usually letterboxed,meaning those of us who have 16X9 see bars on all sides!

In fact, only last week have we started seeing Al Jazeera (via MHz Worldview) in anamorphic NTSC, so at least it can be stretched to properly fill the screen.

Edited by mnassour, 16 September 2012 - 08:05 PM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   espnjason

espnjason

Armchair Referee

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 529 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 10:21 PM

Channel is a waste since it's SD only, imho. Especially a movie channel and I would be very interested in this channel too! I'm a HD snob and I'm proud to admit it!

I don't think DirecTV wanted to give them the Shorts HD treatment, at least until D14 launches.

#23 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,221 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 16 September 2012 - 10:30 PM

What bothers me is that anytime we've seen 16X9 on a 4X3 frame anywhere on DirecTV, it's usually letterboxed,meaning those of us who have 16X9 see bars on all sides!

In fact, only last week have we started seeing Al Jazeera (via MHz Worldview) in anamorphic NTSC, so at least it can be stretched to properly fill the screen.

There are many here who feel that any stretching is undesirable.

As for any lo-rez picture that is letterboxed; I'd rather have that than too few pixels spread over too big screen real estate.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#24 ONLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,042 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 17 September 2012 - 04:09 AM

There are many here who feel that any stretching is undesirable. ...

If the picture is an anamorphic squeeze, you have to stretch it horizontally otherwise the picture will be stretched vertically.

... As for any lo-rez picture that is letterboxed; I'd rather have that than too few pixels spread over too big screen real estate.

Well ... apparently you got your wish;

As Cinemoi just went live, and the picture is window-boxed (on HD sets).

#25 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,400 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 05:52 AM

Do yourself a favor, and record "The Great Buck Henry" on Wednesday at 23:30 ET. A really fine movie.

#26 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,691 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 05:55 AM

There are many here who feel that any stretching is undesirable.

As for any lo-rez picture that is letterboxed; I'd rather have that than too few pixels spread over too big screen real estate.

Those are fair assessments.

I'm simply surprised at times how well these kinds of very old movies and programming can be broadcast in HD at times. Seeing Lawrence of Arabia on Blu Ray, for example, defies belief.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#27 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 06:38 AM

I'm simply surprised at times how well these kinds of very old movies and programming can be broadcast in HD at times. Seeing Lawrence of Arabia on Blu Ray, for example, defies belief.

Why does it defy belief?
DTV = Digital Television

#28 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,691 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 06:41 AM

Why does it defy belief?

Most folks wouldn't expect 50-year-old movies to look so amazingly great (since they were created long before the wonderful world of HD).

Yet on Blu Ray or broadcast in HD...they do.

Some of us realize that 35mm film (and some other film media) actually has as good as or better resolutions levels than today's HD, so conversion to HD should and does render super quality presentation. But most people don't know that.

#29 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 06:49 AM

Most folks wouldn't expect 50-year-old movies to look so amazingly great (since they were created long before the wonderful world of HD).

Some of us realize that 35mm film (and some other film media) actually has as good as or better resolutions levels than today's HD, so conversion to HD should and does render super quality presentation. But most people don't know that.

Much better. Not even close.
DTV = Digital Television

#30 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 07:15 AM

It doesn't really defy belief considering it comes from the original 35mm source. But old movies can indeed look stunning for sure when they do the digital conversion properly.
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#31 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,657 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 17 September 2012 - 07:19 AM

There are several factors that determine how older movies look in HD. Director's intent, type of film used, Video Codec (VC-1, MPEG-2, MPEG-4 AVC), ect. Films like Casablanca, Ben Hur, The Magnificent Seven do look stunning in HD while others like Vera Cruz and The Dirty Dozen do not.

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#32 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 07:20 AM

You can't talk about "resolution" with 35mm film, because there is no resolution. Resolution is strictly a digital term and implies there is a finite amount of pixels.

They could probably make a very good looking 4kHD bluray as well from most 35mm films. It depends a little on the quality of the camera's used back in the day (your family movies are not going to look any better in HD) and the quality of the source film after decades of storage.
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#33 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 07:28 AM

You can't talk about "resolution" with 35mm film, because there is no resolution. Resolution is strictly a digital term and implies there is a finite amount of pixels.

That is false.
DTV = Digital Television

#34 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,092 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 17 September 2012 - 07:50 AM

It doesn't really defy belief considering it comes from the original 35mm source. But old movies can indeed look stunning for sure when they do the digital conversion properly.

I am pretty sure Lawrence of Arabia was shot on 70 mm - not 35 mm. The distribution prints for the theaters were 35 mm, but the original is better than that. A bluray transfer should be outstanding.

#35 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,092 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 17 September 2012 - 07:57 AM

That is false.

You are both sort of correct. Film has grain, not pixels, and grain does limit resolution. On the other hand, the resolution of film made after about 1950 is so many times greater than the number of pixels on HD broadcast that the limitation is meaningless when it comes to bluray or 4kHD.

Also, the noise introduced by the grain of the film is analogue noise, which is much more plesant to view than digital noise.

#36 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,691 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 08:02 AM

That is false.

Indeed. Wikipedia can be a friend:

Image resolution is an umbrella term that describes the detail an image holds. The term applies to raster digital images, film images, and other types of images. Higher resolution means more image detail.

I am pretty sure Lawrence of Arabia was shot on 70 mm - not 35 mm. The distribution prints for the theaters were 35 mm, but the original is better than that. A bluray transfer should be outstanding.

That is correct.

So going back to topic...if this channel was in HD....the presentation of at least some of the older content would appear quite nicely.

#37 OFFLINE   mnassour

mnassour

Icon

• Registered
  • 832 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 08:15 AM

I also guess it WOULD have been nice to have some programming info in the online/Android guide. Is there guide info available onscreen yet?

#38 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,221 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 08:33 AM

I also guess it WOULD have been nice to have some programming info in the online/Android guide. Is there guide info available onscreen yet?

Yes. Ch. 259.

#39 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,221 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 08:35 AM

Do yourself a favor, and record "The Great Buck Henry" on Wednesday at 23:30 ET. A really fine movie.

"The Great Buck Howard" airs this morning @ 10:30 PDT. I have it on R; thanks.

#40 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 09:06 AM

Oooh, Lucky Luke! Used to love reading the comic albums when I was a kid.

Too bad it was all letter boxed from all angles.

I am the Stig.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...