Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

New channel Cinemoi to debut on Monday

• Please log in to reply
90 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 09:06 AM

I also guess it WOULD have been nice to have some programming info in the online/Android guide. Is there guide info available onscreen yet?

Yeah, you do have something called a "television", do you not? :D
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   mnassour

mnassour

Icon

• Registered
  • 832 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 09:22 AM

Yeah, you do have something called a "television", do you not? :D

Actually, no.

I'm at the office and wanted to set a remote recording.

#43 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,397 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 10:57 AM

I am pretty sure Lawrence of Arabia was shot on 70 mm - not 35 mm. The distribution prints for the theaters were 35 mm, but the original is better than that. A bluray transfer should be outstanding.

You're correct. I remember a special 70mm presentation at a theater in Portland, OR back in the 1980's. The image quality remains the best I've EVER seen.

#44 OFFLINE   n3vino

n3vino

Godfather

• Registered
  • 365 posts
  • LocationLeon Valley(San Antonio), Texas

Posted 17 September 2012 - 05:59 PM

Channel is a waste since it's SD only, imho. Especially a movie channel and I would be very interested in this channel too! I'm a HD snob and I'm proud to admit it!

I prefer an SD movie channel with no comercials than an HD channel full of comercials. I do not watch movies with comercials.

1 HDR 34

1 HDR 24-500
2 HD 25's
Slimline Dish 3LNB
Whole Home DVR

Epa, Epa, Andale, Andale, Arriba, Arriba, Eeeha

#45 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,175 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 17 September 2012 - 06:14 PM

I prefer an SD movie channel with no comercials than an HD channel full of comercials. I do not watch movies with comercials.

You're in a small minority here- not that there's anything wrong with that.

I record all movies and where necessary, spend the few seconds it takes to FF through interruptions. Although, some commercials I enjoy and will watch the second and third iterations of them.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#46 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,540 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 17 September 2012 - 06:19 PM

You're in a small minority here- not that there's anything wrong with that.

I record all movies and where necessary, spend the few seconds it takes to FF through interruptions. Although, some commercials I enjoy and will watch the second and third iterations of them.

Then i am in that minority too. Commercials on tv shows are fine. The show is written for commercials. Movies from theaters are not.

Besides, stations that put commercials in movies tend to edit for time or content as well.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#47 OFFLINE   je4755

je4755

Godfather

• Registered
  • 383 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 07:13 PM

Besides, stations that put commercials in movies tend to edit for time or content as well.

As do stations (other than PBS, of course) offering BBC programs that fill an hour block in the UK but are truncated in the US by the addition of commercials.

#48 OFFLINE   scott0702

scott0702

Legend

• Registered
  • 214 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 08:21 PM

This looks like a good channel. Maybe HD will come later like they did with Disney Jr. First SD then HD.

#49 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 08:23 PM

We don't even know if they have the ability to broadcast in HD.

#50 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,540 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 17 September 2012 - 08:31 PM

We don't even know if they have the ability to broadcast in HD.

Probably not at this point. They do 576i 16x9 in Europe. This is their first carrier in the US.

I'd still prefer 16x9 SD on directv over what we have now.. Not sure they can do it. I know they can via the OTA tuners but not sure about from the satellite.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV

#51 OFFLINE   mnassour

mnassour

Icon

• Registered
  • 832 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 08:38 PM

I've dropped them a note asking about HD. But I have to say that even when I use the zoom feature on my set, it looks FAR superior to that mess that was BBC-A before HD. Quite a nice channel, you can be sure that you've never seen any of this programming anywhere else in DirecTV before.

#52 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 08:41 PM

Probably not at this point. They do 576i 16x9 in Europe. This is their first carrier in the US.

I'd still prefer 16x9 SD on directv over what we have now.. Not sure they can do it. I know they can via the OTA tuners but not sure about from the satellite.

Yes, but it's an entirely different facility and staff. Even the programming format will be tailored to a US audience. 16:9 SD, when not broadcasting in 16:9 HD, is fairly standard in Europe as well. What to expect in the future with this version of the channel is pretty much a mystery at this point.

#53 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,540 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 17 September 2012 - 08:41 PM

I've dropped them a note asking about HD. But I have to say that even when I use the zoom feature on my set, it looks FAR superior to that mess that was BBC-A before HD. Quite a nice channel, you can be sure that you've never seen any of this programming anywhere else in DirecTV before.

If I were directv, I'd squash the SD duplicate bandwidth and make the SD only channels to full resolution. I know they give different channels different bandwidth already. TCM was actually one of the better SD channels.

As for bbca. It was pretty bad in SD on fios as well. I think the SD source just sucked.

#54 OFFLINE   mnassour

mnassour

Icon

• Registered
  • 832 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 09:57 AM

OK, so this brings up a question....if we have the 576i source at 16X9, you would have to think it would be better for DirecTV to send it out as a 16X9 signal (assuming it's available in 16x9), even thought it is not HD? Does this just seem obvious to me or am I missing some reason to not do this?

The programming, to me at least, looks really fascinating. I'd just like to have the pictures to match.

#55 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,808 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 18 September 2012 - 10:03 AM

Quite a nice channel, you can be sure that you've never seen any of this programming anywhere else in DirecTV before.

I saw multiple movies listed for the channel that are Magnolia films who have been shown on HDNet Movies before.

OK, so this brings up a question....if we have the 576i source at 16X9, you would have to think it would be better for DirecTV to send it out as a 16X9 signal (assuming it's available in 16x9), even thought it is not HD? Does this just seem obvious to me or am I missing some reason to not do this?

The programming, to me at least, looks really fascinating. I'd just like to have the pictures to match.

Many subscribers receiving this channels are viewing it on a 4:3 TV.

~Alan

#56 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,986 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 10:10 AM

If the channel is being sent out as MPEG2 then I think they have to leave it as 4:3 like Alan is saying since many of those people are probably still watching on old 4:3 CRT tube TVs.

If they are sending it out as an MPEG 4 SD channel, then yes I think they should be sending it out as a 16:9 (850x480 resolution) SD signal, since the MPEG 4 receivers have the ability to send the picture out letterboxed or cropped if the user wants it those ways. Actually I wish they would send out all of the MPEG4 SD channels that way.
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#57 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 10:21 AM

OK, so this brings up a question....if we have the 576i source at 16X9, you would have to think it would be better for DirecTV to send it out as a 16X9 signal (assuming it's available in 16x9), even thought it is not HD? Does this just seem obvious to me or am I missing some reason to not do this.

Who said it was 576i?

#58 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,020 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 18 September 2012 - 10:22 AM

Other than as a temporary technical anomaly I heard of once, I've never known DIRECTV to send out an SD signal (MPEG 2) from 101 in any other format than 4:3.

Even many years ago prior to the HD era DIRECTV would occasionally broadcast some widescreen, 16:9 (or greater), format SD programming, but through anamorphic squeeze into a 4:3 frame.

There's also a question as to how SD only receivers would be able to handle a received image format in any other than 4:3.

#59 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,540 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 18 September 2012 - 10:22 AM

Who said it was 576i?

That is what they have in Europe. We don't know if they are just feeding that over or not.

#60 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 10:29 AM

That is what they have in Europe. We don't know if they are just feeding that over or not.

As I said before, it's an entirely different facility and everything. This is new. This is not the same exact channel. It's a NA version of it.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...