Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

New channel Cinemoi to debut on Monday

• Please log in to reply
90 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,555 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 18 September 2012 - 10:37 AM

As I said before, it's an entirely different facility and everything. This is new. This is not the same exact channel. It's a NA version of it.

I guess you found evidence of this. I could not.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#62 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 10:38 AM

I guess you found evidence of this. I could not.

It's based out of its own facility in L.A. and they have their own executive and production teams.

#63 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 10:38 AM

As I said before, it's an entirely different facility and everything. This is new. This is not the same exact channel. It's a NA version of it.

True, but they may be using the same movie transfers at the US facility that they are using at the other facility. So they may have the 576i files sitting on their servers and use a scaler/encoder to send them out as 480i/480p or whatever they are sending out.

I doubt they are going to send the stuff out as 576i though, as I don't think very many american electronics will accept that signal.
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#64 ONLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,074 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 18 September 2012 - 11:08 AM

From what I can determine, the only way to really accommodate both SD and HD receivers for widescreen (16:9 or greater) SD video from 101 is for DIRECTV to return to the use of the 16:9 ---> 4:3 anamorphic squeeze method they once used years before.

Assuming the feature still even works on the SD receivers when the anamorphic flag is set in the data stream and the menu option correctly configured on the receiver.

Then the SD receivers connected to 4:3 sets would letterbox the picture and the HD sets connected to either type of receiver can stretch it out to 16:9.

(Stretching may be done from either the receiver or HDTV set for HD receivers and from the HDTV set for SD receivers.)

#65 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,096 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 18 September 2012 - 12:54 PM

I have not had a chance to watch the channel yet. Do they show the movies uncut and in OAR? If so, I might watch. If not, I have no interest in the channel.

#66 ONLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,074 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 01:11 PM

I have not had a chance to watch the channel yet. Do they show the movies uncut and in OAR? If so, I might watch. If not, I have no interest in the channel.

Not sure about uncut, but no commercials other than promos in between programs.

OAR, yes 16:9, but letterboxed into 4:3 resulting in a natural window box on an HDTV.

EDIT: On the other hand, on the question of "uncut," I notice that the movie "Sherrybaby" is playing at 12:00PM - 2:00PM PST tomorrow, And I know there are sexually explicit scenes in that.

So I guess that means the answer is no for "uncut." at least from the standpoint of editing for content.

Edited by HoTat2, 19 September 2012 - 08:34 AM.
Meant to say "explicit" not "expect" earlier.

#67 OFFLINE   mitchflorida

mitchflorida

Godfather

• Registered
  • 423 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 01:45 PM

Hasn't anyone noticed that the program listings for this channel are all wrong. They are listing tomorrow's listings today. Everyone is so into talking about pixels but didn't notice that?

I had to make a report to dtv. Hope others will also make a report. Thanks.

#68 ONLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,074 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 02:30 PM

Hasn't anyone noticed that the program listings for this channel are all wrong. They are listing tomorrow's listings today. Everyone is so into talking about pixels but didn't notice that?

I had to make a report to dtv. Hope others will also make a report. Thanks.

Though I guess I can't blame DIRECTV for this as everywhere I look for Cinemoi' TV listings online it has the same error.

Tomorrow is listed for today's lineup.

#69 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,555 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 18 September 2012 - 03:34 PM

Though I guess I can't blame DIRECTV for this as everywhere I look for Cinemoi' TV listings online it has the same error.

Tomorrow is listed for today's lineup.

I noticed it was half hour off yesterday.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#70 OFFLINE   paulman182

paulman182

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 07:45 AM

EDIT: On the other hand, on the question of "uncut," I notice that the movie "Sherrybaby" is playing at 12:00PM - 2:00PM PST tomorrow, And I know there are sexually expect scenes in that.

Did anyone watch it to see if it was edited? There is no requirement that a cable channel edit for content, no matter what time a movie is shown.

That's a good movie, by the way.

Equipment includes a buncha stuff that I no longer have interest in detailing

#71 OFFLINE   john262

john262

AllStar

• Registered
  • 127 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 02:09 PM

Channel is a waste since it's SD only, imho. Especially a movie channel and I would be very interested in this channel too! I'm a HD snob and I'm proud to admit it!

Remember that a lot of people don't even have HD yet so it's not a waste to them. And then there are people like me who have HD on one TV and SD on another. I watch SD only channels on my 27" CRT monitor and as far as I'm concerned the PQ is acceptable.

#72 OFFLINE   john262

john262

AllStar

• Registered
  • 127 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 02:18 PM

Quite a nice channel, you can be sure that you've never seen any of this programming anywhere else in DirecTV before.

Not true. They were playing the movie Georgy Girl this morning and that same movie has been played before on TCM. There is probably some content that hasn't been seen before but not all of it.

#73 OFFLINE   mitchflorida

mitchflorida

Godfather

• Registered
  • 423 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 02:49 PM

I would prefer this channel in HD compared to Shorts HD, which I doubt many people watch.

#74 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 02:54 PM

I would prefer this channel in HD compared to Shorts HD, which I doubt many people watch.

As would I, but it doesn't appear that they are broadcasting in HD at this point.

#75 OFFLINE   Barcthespark

Barcthespark

Godfather

• Registered
  • 369 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 08:14 PM

I enjoy it. They have some great short films. I only wish the guide had the program info for the shorts.

#76 OFFLINE   coolman302003

coolman302003

2014 NBA CHAMPIONS!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,257 posts
  • LocationSoutheast

Posted 19 September 2012 - 10:12 PM

If the channel is being sent out as MPEG2 then I think they have to leave it as 4:3 like Alan is saying since many of those people are probably still watching on old 4:3 CRT tube TVs.

If they are sending it out as an MPEG 4 SD channel, then yes I think they should be sending it out as a 16:9 (850x480 resolution) SD signal, since the MPEG 4 receivers have the ability to send the picture out letterboxed or cropped if the user wants it those ways. Actually I wish they would send out all of the MPEG4 SD channels that way.

Cinemoi is on 101° TPN 6 according to the new data provided by gct so it has to be MPEG2.

List of networks with HD VOD content available on DIRECTV   DIRECTV Customer Service Live Online Chat (available from 8am-1am ET)   DIRECTV Regional Sports Network (RSN) fee lookup tool (zip code required)

DIRECTV Premium Channel Pricing: 1=$13.99 ($17.99 for HBO) | 2=$25 ($30 with HBO) | 3=$35 ($40 with HBO) | 4=$43 ($48 with HBO) | All 5=$55 per month 

My Setup: 5-LNB SlimLine with SWM-16 | HR44-700 w/AM-21N | HR24-200 | H25-100 | H25-100 | C41-500

#77 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,147 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 10:40 PM

Cinemoi is on 101° TPN 6 according to the new data provided by gct so it has to be MPEG2.

They can send MPEG4 from any sat they have. I do not know if they can mix MPEG2 and MPEG4 on the same transponder though... 101 suggests mpeg2, but doesn't guarantee it.

#78 ONLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,074 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 01:02 AM

They can send MPEG4 from any sat they have. I do not know if they can mix MPEG2 and MPEG4 on the same transponder though... 101 suggests mpeg2, but doesn't guarantee it.

Nah ... its MPEG 2;

If it were MPEG 4 SD the TPN map entry would be "shaded" and the video PID would be a "10x0" type number like the HD channels.

Cinemoi is neither of these and its VPID is "0078" which means MPEG 2 SD.

Plus I'm sure a number of the PR releases would have mentioned that HD receiving equipment was necessary for reception.

Edited by HoTat2, 24 September 2012 - 01:20 PM.

#79 OFFLINE   mkdtv21

mkdtv21

Legend

• Registered
  • 212 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 12:30 AM

So if Directv is going to add a channel as irrelevant and niche as this why couldn't they add the Funimation network or a million other sd only channels that aren't available on Directv.

#80 OFFLINE   mitchflorida

mitchflorida

Godfather

• Registered
  • 423 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 09:08 AM

So if Directv is going to add a channel as irrelevant and niche as this why couldn't they add the Funimation network or a million other sd only channels that aren't available on Directv.

This channel is as good as TCM, don't really think it is "niche".

Protected By... spam firewall...And...