Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

What's Happen To Directv "Being The Leader In Sports"

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,390 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 05:22 AM

Heck - I live in Philly, and we all know how our RSN hasn't ever been on D*. But D* is STILL the sports leader by a LONG SHOT.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,603 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 06:15 AM

How many threads are you going to make over the same thing? Do you think people will say different things just because it's a new thread?

He hasn't even been back or answered my simple question.

A "one trick pony" Agenda apparently.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#23 OFFLINE   joed32

joed32

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,603 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 06:50 AM

People should start contacting their congressman (or woman) and let them know what you think of the entire situation. I'm not talking just about the Lakers or the PAC-12 network, but the coming storm. I see it.

The FCC has been relatively silent in these matters, and there's nothing wrong with that, but considering the exemptions that a lot of these leagues are afforded, and the limited choices we're presented with, it's time we voice our opinions where it counts.

With Congress' recent track record of solving problems getting them involved sounds like the perfect way to really get things screwed up.

#24 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,517 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 16 September 2012 - 07:35 AM

With Congress' recent track record of solving problems getting them involved sounds like the perfect way to really get things screwed up.

+1......As I have posted several times before, Congress is the opposite of progress.

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#25 OFFLINE   crkeehn

crkeehn

Godfather

• Registered
  • 346 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 07:36 AM

Heck - I live in Philly, and we all know how our RSN hasn't ever been on D*. But D* is STILL the sports leader by a LONG SHOT.

Yeah, I didn't want to mention Comcast Philly. That has been a bone of contention for years.

#26 OFFLINE   smitbret

smitbret

Legend

• Registered
  • 130 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 09:21 AM

Just because DirecTV does not have every sports channel does not prevent them from still being the leader in sports. DirecTV still has more sports than anyone else. Does Dish have the Big Ten Network?

Does anyone other than DirecTV have NFL Sunday Ticket? Are there enough people outside of the local PAC 12 schools areas that care whether the PAC 12 network is on DirecTV? The PAC 12 has been pretty irrelevant in football and basketball for many years. The PAC 12 came up with a model for their network (one national channel and six regional channels) that was designed with cable in mind. That model does not work well for DirecTV. At some point, I expect the PAC 12 national channel and overflow channels for live games will be on DirecTV (and in HD) as soon as the PAC 12 comes to its senses.

The Lakers are relavent in the NBA, but a channel devoted to one team in one sport has little to offer for a national market. Serious basketball fans will have NBA League Pass, and the others outside of LA will not care that they are missing Lakers home games. That said, let's wait until the NBA season starts to see whether it will be on DirecTV. I expect it will be on DirecTV, too, but it might not be until the All-Star break.

Not much of a sports fan, huh? There's a team in Eugene, OR and another LUCKy team on the Bay in NoCal that like to think they've been pretty relevant the last few years.

#27 OFFLINE   speedy4022

speedy4022

Legend

• Registered
  • 231 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 09:55 AM

We need a poll because I am guessing that nobody cares other than a few about the pac 12 networks. The games that are important are carried by the other networks.
Mike
Directv user since 96 :)

#28 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,728 posts
  • LocationWanye County PA

Posted 16 September 2012 - 09:57 AM

I don't give a crap about PAC 12, that should be local RSN's only.

DIRECTV Since 5/13/2012:

Living room      Master Bedroom        Bedroom 2            Bedroom 3       Office/Bedroom 4      

HR34-700  /  C31-700  /  HR24-500 / HR23-700  /  H25-100 

Slimline 5 / SWiM 16 / Premier / HD Xtra / MLB EI  / MRV

Blue Ridge Cable Networked 30-3 Mbps 

#29 OFFLINE   celticpride

celticpride

Icon

• Registered
  • 966 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 11:26 AM

I think you guys are being a little hard on this poster KB24sd . IF only TWC carries the new lakers RSN then only people in los angeles and a few select cities that have time warner cable in southern california and laker terriorties, will be able to watch laker games other towns like mine, apple valley/victorville will not be able to watch the lakers unless directv ,dish,verizon.or charter get the channel,because time warner cable is not in our area! also the lakers will not be available OVER THE AIR, because kcal 9 the lakers previous ota channel will not be televising the games because all the laker home and away games will only be on twc!!:nono2: and i hate the lakers as i am a diehard celtics fan,but strongly believe directv needs to carry both these twc english and spanish HD channels and also the pac-12 channels.

#30 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,256 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 16 September 2012 - 11:40 AM

I think you guys are being a little hard on this poster KB24sd . IF only TWC carries the new lakers RSN then only people in los angeles and a few select cities that have time warner cable in southern california and laker terriorties, will be able to watch laker games other towns like mine, apple valley/victorville will not be able to watch the lakers unless directv ,dish,verizon.or charter get the channel,because time warner cable is not in our area! also the lakers will not be available OVER THE AIR, because kcal 9 the lakers previous ota channel will not be televising the games because all the laker home and away games will only be on twc!!:nono2: and i hate the lakers as i am a diehard celtics fan,but strongly believe directv needs to carry both these twc english and spanish HD channels and also the pac-12 channels.

Sounds a lot like padres and cox. For laker fans in SoCal, I hope you are wrong.

I'm in Maryland. I will not be affected if games are on nba package as I think they will.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#31 OFFLINE   speedy4022

speedy4022

Legend

• Registered
  • 231 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 01:23 PM

I don't give a crap about PAC 12, that should be local RSN's only.

Agreed plus seven channels require too much bandwidth.
Mike
Directv user since 96 :)

#32 OFFLINE   billsharpe

billsharpe

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,201 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 16 September 2012 - 02:17 PM

Now that SC has lost to Stanford I am not nearly as upset about the lack of the Pac-12 network on DirecTV or Verizon FiOS.

Maybe next year I'll be more concerned, but it sure doesn't look like SC will be #1 this year after last night's performance.

Never watch pro basketball, seldom watch pro football, but ESPN's GoalLine channel on FiOS with 12 hours of college football each Saturday without commercial breaks is great.

Edited by billsharpe, 17 September 2012 - 11:40 AM.
added that GoalLine channel is on FiOS

Bill

Family room: Sony Bravia KDL-40SL130
Living room: Sceptre 32 inch

#33 OFFLINE   mreposter

mreposter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,702 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 03:53 PM

The Lakers have decided to stop providing coverage of their games on over-the-air stations and are launching dedicated cable channels. Why? Because they want more money out of your pocket and the pockets of everyone else that has cable or sat. tv. The Lakers are the one's taking the content away, not the cable and sat companies.

The Lakers and PAC-12 channels will ultimately have more content on them than was previously available over the air or on ESPN, but what they're really after is to get every single cable/sat customer to pay a very steep price for the content only a few people want.
.......... There are none so blind as those who can not see it in HD.
.......... Directv customer since January 2000.

spam firewall