Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

OTA antenna recommendation?

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#21 ONLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 8,224 posts
  • LocationGalactic Empire

Posted 15 September 2012 - 03:37 PM

Post a zip code and I'll check TVfool

Thanks. I'm mobile all day today, so I appreciate all the recommendations.

FAITH: I find the lack of it disturbing.

Opinions are my own but should be those of all Americans, who would be much better off intellectually, psychologically, and emotionally if that were the case.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,584 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 03:38 PM

Depending on your device, you might be able to view it on 35 also. A couple of my boxes lock in on both the real and virtual.
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#23 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,768 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 03:54 PM

Thanks. I'm mobile all day today, so I appreciate all the recommendations.

"If I were you", I'd go with the HD Blade for indoor use.

http://www.dbstalk.c...=1&d=1347746029

Attached Thumbnails

• OaT.PNG

A.K.A VOS

#24 ONLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 8,224 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 04:04 PM

Depending on your device, you might be able to view it on 35 also. A couple of my boxes lock in on both the real and virtual.

Real & virtual, huh? Sounds surreal.

Opinions are my own but should be those of all Americans, who would be much better off intellectually, psychologically, and emotionally if that were the case.

#25 ONLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 8,224 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 04:04 PM

"If I were you", I'd go with the HD Blade for indoor use.

Sounds good. I had looked at it earlier & will give it a shot. After all, it can't hurt to try.

#26 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,482 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 15 September 2012 - 04:22 PM

I am in Texas City, south of you. I have a small powered antenna on the den wall that is about 6 feet off the ground and I get a ton of channels here.
The 2 that I have a problem with is (Delete PBS), channel (Delete 8) channel 11 CBS and 13, ABC.
Channels 2, (Delete 13, ABC), 20, 26 and 39 come in fine. There are several Spanish channels that I don't watch because I do not speak the Spanish, but they come in also.

You are a lot closer than me and way higher off the ground. I would think most anything would work fine for you, provided there is nothing between you and the towers.

Edited to fix channels.

Edited by jimmie57, 15 September 2012 - 06:32 PM.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#27 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,768 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 04:43 PM

Sounds good. I had looked at it earlier & will give it a shot. After all, it can't hurt to try.

"mine" and this is on the south [wall too] end of the complex and all the towers are to the north.
I need/use "real" channels 7 & 11

http://forums.solids...11&d=1346782770
A.K.A VOS

#28 ONLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 8,224 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 04:46 PM

I am in Texas City, south of you. I have a small powered antenna on the den wall that is about 6 feet off the ground and I get a ton of channels here.
The 2 that I have a problem with is PBS, channel 8 and CBS, channel 11.
Channels 2, 13, 20, 26 and 39 come in fine. There are several Spanish channels that I don't watch because I do not speak the Spanish, but they come in also.

You are a lot closer than me and way higher off the ground. I would think most anything would work fine for you, provided there is nothing between you and the towers.

CBS, huh? Funny, but that's the same network/channel with which I have problems in my primary residence in suburban Chicago. In all the years of living 30 miles west/southwest of Chicago, I was never able to tune in WBBM CBS Channel 2. Never. No matter what I tried.

"mine" and this is on the south [wall too] end of the complex and all the towers are to the north.

http://forums.solids...11&d=1346782770

Almost looks like a big nocotine patch on the wall. :P

BTW, that's such a tiny TV! :D

#29 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 04:52 PM

In all the years of living 30 miles west/southwest of Chicago, I was never able to tune in WBBM CBS Channel 2. Never. No matter what I tried.

That is funny, because I lived 25 miles southwest of Milwaukee, and I got WBBS real good. Almost as good as I got WLS and WGN.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#30 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,768 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 04:55 PM

Almost looks like a big nocotine patch on the wall. :P

BTW, that's such a tiny TV! :D

yeah a 46" 1080p from 6' is all I could fit.

BTW it's "up there" because multipath was a problem in all other locations and other indoor antennas.

I don't have multipath issues anymore :D
A.K.A VOS

#31 ONLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 8,224 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 05:29 PM

Well, I'm going to test it out on my bedroom HR24/AM21 first. If it works well there. I'll order another to connect to an HR20-700 in the living room.

#32 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,482 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 15 September 2012 - 06:27 PM

Actually I made an error in my previous post.
The channels I have problems with are 11, CBS and 13 , ABC.
If you go to this site I think I found the problem. This little powered antenna does not get the VHF stations and 11 and 13 are VHF. All the ones I get are UHF.
http://www.antennaweb.org/Address.aspx

I just tested with a very old set of rabbit ears and I can get 11 and 13 with those.

Edited by jimmie57, 15 September 2012 - 06:33 PM.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#33 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,768 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 06:37 PM

Well, I'm going to test it out on my bedroom HR24/AM21 first. If it works well there. I'll order another to connect to an HR20-700 in the living room.

"Smart"

You'll be surprised at how many different directions/ways it works.

Vertical and laying it down flat.
A.K.A VOS

#34 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,768 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 06:39 PM

Actually I made an error in my previous post.
The channels I have problems with are 11, CBS and 13 , ABC.
If you go to this site I think I found the problem. This little powered antenna does not get the VHF stations and 11 and 13 are VHF. All the ones I get are UHF.
http://www.antennaweb.org/Address.aspx

I just tested with a very old set of rabbit ears and I can get 11 and 13 with those.

I did my best to do an apples to apples between my rabbit ears and this HD blade, here:
http://forums.solids...ool-rabbit-ears
A.K.A VOS

#35 ONLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 8,224 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 06:40 PM

"Smart"

You'll be surprised at how many different directions/ways it works.

Vertical and laying it down flat.

Sounds good. BTW, for my bedroom, I do have the ability to mount it outside, because one of the entrances to my balcony is through the master BR.

#36 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,768 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 07:03 PM

Sounds good. BTW, for my bedroom, I do have the ability to mount it outside, because one of the entrances to my balcony is through the master BR.

I played with my rabbit ears in every location I could think of, and found what I thought was my "sweet spot".
A/B'd the antennas in this location.
Since the blade does have more [measured] gain, I went with it, but would still get some multipath [not real bad but enough to piss me off :lol:].
Then I got the idea to "go high" as pictured. "Done".
A.K.A VOS

#37 ONLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 8,224 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 07:05 PM

Hmmm. Maybe I should run it through my ceiling, up through the unit directly above me, and onto the roof. Screw the people upstairs. This is OTA I'm talking about!

#38 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,482 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 15 September 2012 - 07:59 PM

I did my best to do an apples to apples between my rabbit ears and this HD blade, here:
http://forums.solids...ool-rabbit-ears

That is very good work.
Thanks

What is weird is that my antenna says it gets VHF and UHF.
I searched to web and found that 11 is 31 ?? and 13 is 32 ??. I do not know if that is correct.

I wiped out my channel list and had it rescan and it does not get 11, 13, 31 or 32.
It is no biggie because I would only use it if the satellite is out for some reason and I needed to know about bad weather or similar and one of the other channels will have that information.

#39 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,768 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 08:07 PM

That is very good work.
Thanks

What is weird is that my antenna says it gets VHF and UHF.
I searched to web and found that 11 is 31 ?? and 13 is 32 ??. I do not know if that is correct.

I wiped out my channel list and had it rescan and it does not get 11, 13, 31 or 32.
It is no biggie because I would only use it if the satellite is out for some reason and I needed to know about bad weather or similar and one of the other channels will have that information.

What model antenna was this?
TVFool shows:
KHOU CBS as 11.1 which is "really" 11
KTRK ABC as "really" 13
KUHT PBS as "really" 8

So your antenna does need VHF-Hi + UHF
A.K.A VOS

#40 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,482 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 15 September 2012 - 10:16 PM

This is the one I have. The signal strength on a 1 to 10 scale is an average of 7 on all the other channels that I do get and no signal at all on 11 and 13.

http://www.monoprice...3#specification

Protected By... spam firewall...And...