Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

OTA antenna recommendation?

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 10:23 PM

This is the one I have. The signal strength on a 1 to 10 scale is an average of 7 on all the other channels that I do get and no signal at all on 11 and 13.

http://www.monoprice...3#specification

That is an amplified fractal panel antenna. Its a scaled up version of the antenna inside smartphones. They work fairly well for gain with their built in amp, but are utterly terrible for multipath.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,987 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 11:04 PM

This is the one I have. The signal strength on a 1 to 10 scale is an average of 7 on all the other channels that I do get and no signal at all on 11 and 13.

Like so many "amplified" antennas, the gain listed is about 75% [or more] from the amp, and not the antenna itself.

The size is limiting its "low end". The blade measures over a foot in each direction, so the internal elements are longer than in "that antenna".

Your "1 to 10", would be what my TV shows as 0-100, but it also shows signal to noise [ratio] in dB, which were the numbers in the article.
"Figure" noise is the constant, so signal to noise ratio is a sign of how much gain the antenna has.

Amps are good for cable loss from the antenna to the TV, but if the signal doesn't get picked up by the antenna itself, you can't amplify it and "magically" get it, since the signal and the noise both get amplified.
A.K.A VOS

#43 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,987 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 11:07 PM

That is an amplified fractal panel antenna. Its a scaled up version of the antenna inside smartphones. They work fairly well for gain with their built in amp, but are utterly terrible for multipath.

What I'd say, you're saying is an eighth wave antenna with an amp, may work, but a quarter wave antenna may not need the amp. ;)
A.K.A VOS

#44 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 11:23 PM

What I'd say, you're saying is an eighth wave antenna with an amp, may work, but a quarter wave antenna may not need the amp. ;)

A 1/4 wave without amp is always going to outperform any other smaller antenna with an amp, since the amp cannot amp unless the signal is there in the first place, as you know. The benefit of the fractal panels (I used the word gain, when I should have used the word broadband) is that they have a wide frequency bandwidth, and can cover the entire UHF band at once with < 3:1 SWR, whereas a 1/4 wave would only be accurate on one or two channels, and then SWR will rapidly rise. The bow tie is an excellent cross between the two, and for an indoor antenna, would be my antenna of choice. Your bow-tie between plastic sheets being a good example of max gain for size and wide enough bandwidth to be effective.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#45 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8,356 posts
  • LocationGalactic Empire

Posted 22 September 2012 - 12:00 AM

"mine" and this is on the south [wall too] end of the complex and all the towers are to the north.
I need/use "real" channels 7 & 11

http://forums.solids...11&d=1346782770

Just got the "HD Blade" in today and put it up when I got home a few minutes ago. I've been toying with it to see how it performs. Question--is a glass window worse than a wall when it comes to multipath issues? I ask because I have the ability to affix it to a window that is permanently closed, but I couldn't remember if glass causes problems for such signals like it does for DBS signals.

FAITH: I find the lack of it disturbing.

Opinions are my own but should be those of all Americans, who would be much better off intellectually, psychologically, and emotionally if that were the case.

#46 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8,356 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 12:26 AM

Addendum: Got it up high on the wall in the master BR. It appears to be working VERY well. I can get all the subchannels available, including CBS, which has always been a problem.

My next question--I'm going to order one of these for the living room. It will be connected to an HR20-700. However, I have two HR20-700s in the living room and was wondering if I'd need 2 HD Blades, or if I can go with only 1 and use an OTA splitter.

Opinions are my own but should be those of all Americans, who would be much better off intellectually, psychologically, and emotionally if that were the case.

#47 OFFLINE   coolman302003

coolman302003

2014 NBA CHAMPIONS!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,458 posts
  • LocationSoutheast

Posted 22 September 2012 - 03:16 AM

My next question--I'm going to order one of these for the living room. It will be connected to an HR20-700. However, I have two HR20-700s in the living room and was wondering if I'd need 2 HD Blades, or if I can go with only 1 and use an OTA splitter.

All you will need is a good splitter. :)

List of networks with HD VOD content available on DIRECTV   DIRECTV Customer Service Live Online Chat (available from 8am-1am ET)   DIRECTV Regional Sports Network (RSN) fee lookup tool (zip code required)

DIRECTV Premium Channel Pricing: 1=$13.99 ($17.99 for HBO) | 2=$25 ($30 with HBO) | 3=$35 ($40 with HBO) | 4=$43 ($48 with HBO) | All 5=$55 per month 

My Setup: 5-LNB SlimLine with SWM-16 | HR44-700 w/AM-21N | HR24-200 | H25-100 | H25-100 | C41-500

#48 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8,356 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 03:28 AM

No amplifier needed? I know there a ton of splitters from which to choose on Solid Signal's site alone.

#49 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,987 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 06:32 AM

No amplifier needed? I know there a ton of splitters from which to choose on Solid Signal's site alone.

I use my HD blade to feed my TV & my AM21, so I use a splitter, but I also use/need an amp.
You might try just the splitter and then add an amp if you need.
A.K.A VOS

#50 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,390 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 22 September 2012 - 06:46 AM

Question--is a glass window worse than a wall when it comes to multipath issues? I ask because I have the ability to affix it to a window that is permanently closed, but I couldn't remember if glass causes problems for such signals like it does for DBS signals.

Your Blade is small enough, move it around and try both locations. Some glass (LowE), has a metalic reflective coating, so that could possibly impact your signal strength. But there are house wraps and radiant barrier roof sheathings that also use a metallic layer that could do the same. But it sounds like you've already found a very good location.

#51 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,833 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 22 September 2012 - 07:47 AM

After reviewing all the posts I decided to try and relocate my antenna once again. The place I wound up placing it was only about 4 feet off the floor and inside the window sill with the antenna rotated so that it was horizontal instead of vertical like all the pictures show it when it is installed. I now get channels 11 and 13, but just barely by 2 bars and all the others have a 5 to 8 strength.
I am 32 miles from the towers and this has a range of 25 so it is a good thing that there are no tall building between me and them.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#52 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8,356 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 12:06 PM

I use my HD blade to feed my TV & my AM21, so I use a splitter, but I also use/need an amp.
You might try just the splitter and then add an amp if you need.

OK, will do. BTW, do you have any recommendations as to whether a specific splitter is better than others, or would any 2-way or 3-way splitter work?

Your Blade is small enough, move it around and try both locations. Some glass (LowE), has a metalic reflective coating, so that could possibly impact your signal strength. But there are house wraps and radiant barrier roof sheathings that also use a metallic layer that could do the same. But it sounds like you've already found a very good location.

Yeah, it looks like I have. It's high on the wall in the corner and seems to be working well right now.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...