Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Slow receiver

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 06:45 PM

People spend money to upgrade their technology all the time.

How many folks will get rid of a perfectly good iPhone 3 or 4 for an iPhone 5? Does anybody here think Apple should give them an iPhone 5 for free?

If Apple was their cell phone provider, yes, or at least provide an upgrade path. Most cell providers do, in fact, have an upgrade path available to their customers. AT&T has offered me upgrades twice in the past year for MUCH less than the going rate for the phone.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 06:56 PM

If Apple was their cell phone provider, yes, or at least provide an upgrade path. Most cell providers do, in fact, have an upgrade path available to their customers. AT&T has offered me upgrades twice in the past year for MUCH less than the going rate for the phone.

As has DirecTV with me. I got a HR34 for free along with a whole bunch of goodies a month ago for re-upping my contract.

my thread

I chose to pass on some potential discounts and freebies over the past three years and waited to cash in my chips to get the best deal I could when I signed my new contract. That got me a free HR34, a SWiM/DECA set-up at no charge and some free programming, including Sunday Ticket Max and HD Access.

It's this opinion that DirecTV automatically owes everyone the latest in technology for free just because they don't like their current receiver that I think is absurd.
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#23 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 07:11 PM

I also assume I wasn't the only one who got an email last week regarding an offer from Apple, or in my case, Best Buy, to buy an iPhone 5 and receive it on 9/21.

Anybody else here get that email?

Andybody see anything in that offer about the new iPhone 5 being free?

It would have cost me $399.

I've heard Apple sold out that offer in a matter of hours.

A lot of money was paid by people wanting to step up to the new technology.

#24 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,515 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 16 September 2012 - 07:42 PM

One big difference on cell phones, you can sell the old one. When all is said and done, we'll end up +$50, and two year contract.

#25 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 10:48 PM

As I said upthread, the argument of leased versus owned just muddies the water. I understand, dpeters11, you like owned equipment. You've made the point before. But that is not the issue. The issue is new technology costs money. To expect old technology to perform like new technology is naive. To expect to get new technology for free is equally unrealistic.

DirecTV is not blameless here. Why they don't have an equipment step up program is beyond me. I understand from an inventory point of view that making all DVRs functional equivalents is sensible. But it makes no sense to the consumer to treat them all the same. westview should be allowed to step up to a HR24, trading in his HR23, for something less than $199. But he can't. Every business has its quirk, something to outsiders which seems inexplicable. This is DirecTV's.

Because of this quirk, the latest technology costs everyone the same price: $199 for a DVR and $399 for a HMC. Or, in my case, I could get it for free, which means it will cost me $3,600 to $4,000 over two years, depending on price increases. I still have to pay the piper.

#26 OFFLINE   tigerwillow1

tigerwillow1

Legend

• Registered
  • 116 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 12:25 AM

Because the receivers are leased, some folks think that DirecTV should upgrade their technology for no charge. That is absurd.

The lease isn't the issue. The issue is that DirecTV is breaking the older receivers with the newer software. Before the new GUI, my HR22's performance wasn't stellar, but acceptable. Now it's sometimes a hopeless dog. It sometimes takes 30 seconds just to bring up the guide or do a channel change. I don't need it to be faster than it was, I just want it to stay the same. In the meantime, D* keeps loading it up with new features that are totally useless to me. When D* chooses to turn the older hardware into a boat anchor, they should be offering an easy upgrade path, or optionally the ability to keep the software that worked right. Comparing it to cell phones, the phone companies don't download things that make your phone work worse than when you bought it.

#27 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 04:37 AM

My experience is that the HD GUI has sped up the operation of my HR20 and HR23.

#28 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,230 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 17 September 2012 - 07:02 AM

I had read and we , me and my son, that the DVRs were slower way back when we got the R15. Because of this it was not a problem. The same is true when moving to the HD platform. The HD machines were slower than the SD machines and again the DVRs are slower than the non DVRs.
My HR23 is my personal main machine for recording and viewing. I do not have MRV nor am I connected to the internet with my systems.
I have it connected with component cables ever since the problems stated with the HDMI handshake many months ago.
I have my settings on : Native ON, Resolutions 720p and 1080i, Scrolling is set to OFF.
About once a month I reset my receiver because I feel like they are just like a PC and their mind gets clouded and needs to be cleaned out and restarted.
The only slow thing using this vs a non DVR is changing channels. Calling up the Guide and similar functions are very respectable. I feel like some of the slowness that we see vs the non DVR machines is all the extra graphics that the DVRs are processing and possibly the fact that we have 2 tuners vs the non DVRs having just 1.

I do also have an HR24 that I have had for 3 months now and it is noticeably faster than the HR23. Having said that it would be like counting to 6 or 7 for the HR23 to change channels and the HR24 would only take 5. Not enough difference that I would ever consider buying an HR24 to replace the HR23.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#29 OFFLINE   dishrich

dishrich

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,541 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 08:21 AM

It's this opinion that DirecTV automatically owes everyone the latest in technology for free just because they don't like their current receiver that I think is absurd.

Well evidently Comcast does NOT share you "opinion", as they WILL let you swap out (to a newer) DVR at anytime, at NO charge & with NO commitments - just had someone do this last Friday here... ;)

The lease isn't the issue. The issue is that DirecTV is breaking the older receivers with the newer software. Before the new GUI, my HR22's performance wasn't stellar, but acceptable. Now it's sometimes a hopeless dog. It sometimes takes 30 seconds just to bring up the guide or do a channel change. I don't need it to be faster than it was, I just want it to stay the same. In the meantime, D* keeps loading it up with new features that are totally useless to me. When D* chooses to turn the older hardware into a boat anchor, they should be offering an easy upgrade path, or optionally the ability to keep the software that worked right. Comparing it to cell phones, the phone companies don't download things that make your phone work worse than when you bought it.

EXACTLY - someone gets it!!!

#30 OFFLINE   Mike Greer

Mike Greer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,612 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah

Posted 17 September 2012 - 09:24 AM

They are also breaking new equipment with newer software!

My HR24-500s haven't been the same since the HDGUI. If we could go back I wound in a second. My HR24s responded quicker before the HDGUI and recently I've had to start restarting them once a week or so to keep them working.

#31 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 09:28 AM

dishrich, bully for Charter! :)

And bully for differing opinions! This is a discussion group, after all. :)

There is one thing I don't get. Why do westview, tigerwillow1 and, I'd assume by your agreement, you, too, dishrich, keep such terrible DVRs in your house?

After the HD GUI was introduced, I experienced a slowing down of the performance of my DVRs. Many people on this board did. But after a flood of new software downloads a few months ago, the problem seemed to be solved. Both facts, the slowdown and its solution, are well documented on this board. My HR20 and HR23, while not speedy, are back to their normal selves, and their performance on the Guide is definitely faster with the HD GUI than before it.

Again, I think this is the common experience. Otherwise every third thread would be "My DVR is as slow as molasses" and that's not the case. It was the case three months ago. I really appreciate jimmie57's post. His experience and mine are the same. I think is much more of the norm, at least judging by the number of threads and posts on this board.

If I had a DVR like westview's, or like tigerwillow1's that "sometimes takes 30 seconds just to bring up the guide or do a channel change", I'd be moving heaven and earth to get it swapped out. I'd be calling DirecTV daily. I'd write Ellen Filipak's office. I'd do whatever I had to do to get that POS out of my house.

If I did get it exchanged and the new one acted just like the old one, I'd ask the question, "Why me?" westview, tigerwillow1 and dishrich are all long term members of DBSTalk. They have to see over the past few months how the problem of terminally slow DVRs has gone away for the vast majority of posters. If I still had a very slow DVR, I'd try to figure out what was causing that. I'd move it to another room of the house. I'd disconnect it from the WHDVR. I'd switch the remote from IR to RF and back again. I'd get a tech out to check over my system. I'd use basic troubleshooting and the facilities of this board and DirecTV to find out why my DVR was slow when most people's aren't.

I am confident if I had a DVR like westview's or tigerwillow1's, and I knew DirecTV wasn't actively trying to solve the problem, which was the case with all the new software a few months ago, within a week that POS DVR wouldn't be in my house. If the replacement acted just the same, I'd try to figure out if there was a larger problem going on. After going to all these lengths, if I still had a problem, I'd demand through Ellen Filipak's office that the DVR be swapped out for a HR24. I have read on this board of that happening.

And if all of that failed, I'd switch providers. There are plenty of alternatives to DirecTV out there, even in rural areas. I live in one and I have four different ways to get TV, five if you count OTA.

It is just television.

I'm not trying to be a smart-ass here. I am genuinely confused. Why do people put up with a terminally slow DVR? God knows I never would.

#32 OFFLINE   dishrich

dishrich

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,541 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 11:10 AM

dishrich, bully for Charter! :)

It's actually Comcast...

There is one thing I don't get. Why do westview, tigerwillow1 and, I'd ssume by your agreement, you, too, dishrich, keep such terrible DVRs in your house?

I'm NOT actually; pulling the plug on DTV this week actually, just had to get an extra 722k to make up for loosing (all) my D* DVR's - I actually can't wait to make that call & tell DTV exactly why they'll be loosing my $100+ a month I was giving them.

But after a flood of new software downloads a few months ago, the problem seemed to be solved. Both facts, the slowdown and its solution, are well documented on this board.

Maybe "solved" by YOUR standards; obviously NOT by many others... :rolleyes:

My HR20 and HR23, while not speedy, are back to their normal selves, and their performance on the Guide is definitely faster with the HD GUI than before it.

You seem to be one of the (very) few people's who's are; the majority seem to think otherwise.

Again, I think this is the common experience.

Only (evidently) because to YOU it seems that way...

If I had a DVR like westview's, or like tigerwillow1's that "sometimes takes 30 seconds just to bring up the guide or do a channel change", I'd be moving heaven and earth to get it swapped out. I'd be calling DirecTV daily. I'd write Ellen Filipak's office. I'd do whatever I had to do to get that POS out of my house.

I think 3 phone calls to DTV is enough - I should NOT have to "contact EF's office" JUST to get a properly functioning DVR! DTV's service is just NOT all that anymore, to warrant myself jumping though THAT many hoops. If it is for you, then bully for you then. :P

The bottom line - these older DVR's (particularly the HR20's) are simply too much for this POS HD GUI software, & all the other bloatware that DTV keeps cramming on these machines. The fact that DTV is NOT even bothering to have HR20's returned to them anymore, tells me they agree with this - but NOT enough that they will replace these relics for paying customers that are still saddled with them.

And if all of that failed, I'd switch providers...Why do people put up with a terminally slow DVR? God knows I never would.

Agree with you on this (one) point - which is EXACTLY what I've done. :D
Actually, I've switched to TWO - not only did I upgrade my existing DISH equipment for FREE, I also got new customer pricing on Comcast triple-play, with an HD-DVR that - GASP - actually functions properly! (ie: each time you press a button, it actually immediately executes a command; isn't that an awsome concept?) Maybe one of these days, DTV will figure this out again... :rolleyes:
Oh yea, between DISH & Comcast, I now have (new) HD channels that I've been waiting for almost 2 years on DTV to spoon feed out to it's subs. Maybe within the next year or two, DTV will actually have as much HD as Comcast or DISH have right now. :P

Or if by some miracle DTV gets it's **** together, I could always switch back - & maybe get some half-ass decent receivers. But right now, not happening...

Edited by dishrich, 17 September 2012 - 11:18 AM.

#33 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 11:30 AM

dishrich, thanks for answering my question.

As for the rest: :kisshead:

spam firewall