Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

New Home Instal Requirements

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   xsumx

xsumx

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 06:53 AM

I'm having a new townhouse built and need to know the pre-wiring requirements. So I have two questions:

1. How many RG6 cables do I need to have run to my roof?? My builder says 4 but everything that I read online seems to indicate that the latest dishes only need a single cable. Who's right?

2. My builder wants to install copper clad steel core RG6 but I've been told by others that I need to make sure they use solid copper core RG6. Again, who's right? What's the implications of using copper clad steel core RG6?

Thanks!
xsumx

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,902 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 09:31 AM

1. How many RG6 cables do I need to have run to my roof?? My builder says 4 but everything that I read online seems to indicate that the latest dishes only need a single cable. Who's right?

Four sounds good. Run those cables down to a single point "distribution center" where switches, nodes and splitters can be installed. Then run cables to each TV location from that central point.

If you only have a single cable from the roof you will be limited on what receivers you can have. The multiple cables will allow you to bring all three outputs from a dish (four if you have an international dish) into your "distribution center" where you can do whatever you please with the signals as technology continues to change.

With today's technology a single cable would limit you to a single receiver (622/722/922 ViP or older receiver) or a single Hopper (no dual hopper setup).

#3 OFFLINE   Grandude

Grandude

RichardParker II

• Registered
  • 866 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 09:36 AM

2. My builder wants to install copper clad steel core RG6 but I've been told by others that I need to make sure they use solid copper core RG6. Again, who's right? What's the implications of using copper clad steel core G6?

I would insist on solid copper core.

Brian...reporting from the left coast
 2 Hoppers,1 Joey, 1 VIP211K active receivers
 I still believe in magic
!

#4 OFFLINE   greatwhitenorth

greatwhitenorth

Godfather

• Registered
  • 360 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 04:53 PM

I would insist on solid copper core.

Dish standards allow up to 200 feet of copper-clad steel rg-6 between the dish and receiver.
The opinions expressed here are my own, and do not reflect the opinions of Dish Network.

#5 OFFLINE   gtal98

gtal98

Godfather

• Registered
  • 363 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 09:25 AM

Definitely 4 cables for the reasons James mentioned. It would also be nice if he ran a bonded ground wire up to the roof so that the Dish installer could just put the ground blocks up there. Copper clad steel is fine - it's what I use every day as an installer. The only thing pure copper is required for is internet dishes, it handles the extra power requirements of the transmitters better.

And you didn't mention this, but I would also run two RG6 and two Cat5e/6 to each possible location you would want TVs. This should help future-proof you for the foreseeable future.

Also, make sure all TV locations are home runs from the TV location to the distribution box. No splitters allowed!

#6 OFFLINE   Grandude

Grandude

RichardParker II

• Registered
  • 866 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 09:56 AM

Dish standards allow up to 200 feet of copper-clad steel rg-6 between the dish and receiver.

Since the power to the switch and LNBFs is supplied by the receivers, or in some cases by a power block, connected to the RG6 cable, I would always feel better if it was copper core which is and always has been a better conductor of electricity.
Just my humble opinion...........:)

Brian...reporting from the left coast
 2 Hoppers,1 Joey, 1 VIP211K active receivers
 I still believe in magic
!

#7 OFFLINE   coldsteel

coldsteel

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,984 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 10:57 AM

Since you could also use those cables for other apps, go with the copper core. Better to have too good a cable than 'just enough'. Also, what gtal said, take as gospel for the cable runs.
DISH 625 dvr

The opinions posted on this site are my own and do not represent DISH Network's positions, strategies or opinions. Unless I decide to be bad or call out an idiot...

Protected By... spam firewall...And...