Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

WHDVR connection issues

• Please log in to reply
92 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,981 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 06:56 PM

Negative, the IPs start with the 169 but no playlist and says it can't connect. How do I reconnect the WCCK with a static IP? This is getting old.....

Reset the network defaults on this receiver then.

If you're going to go with the WCCK, you'll need to log into your router and find the DHCP reserve IP range first.
A.K.A VOS

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   irish1811

irish1811

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 44 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 07:46 PM

ok, found it?

#43 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,981 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 08:03 PM

ok, found it?

So to set static IPs, find IP addresses outside the DHCP range and enter one in each receiver's advanced network setup.

We'll wait on the WCCK at this point, to see if it is needed.
A.K.A VOS

#44 OFFLINE   irish1811

irish1811

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 44 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 08:22 PM

isin't it needed to connect to the wireless network?

#45 OFFLINE   irish1811

irish1811

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 44 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 08:27 PM

I'm heading to bed, sorry. If you can post set by step instructions it would be appreciated, thanks!

#46 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,981 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 09:14 PM

isin't it needed to connect to the wireless network?

I'm heading to bed, sorry. If you can post set by step instructions it would be appreciated, thanks!

It was after you do connect the WCCK, since that is how the router comes back into play.
Connect it back up, then reset each receiver's network defaults, and use the "connect now" option.

This will get you back to the beginning and then you go into the advanced network setup and change the last 3 digits of the IP address so it's outside of the DHCP range of your router.
A.K.A VOS

#47 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,285 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 18 September 2012 - 10:48 PM

Might I suggest you don't tackle the last step right away if it's requiring you learning a bunch how to do that. VOS's steps short of setting a fixed IP should take you there, to a working MRV.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#48 OFFLINE   irish1811

irish1811

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 44 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 07:01 AM

Got it! Thanks VOS! I will give it a try tonight!

#49 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,268 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 19 September 2012 - 07:52 AM

Might I suggest you don't tackle the last step right away if it's requiring you learning a bunch how to do that. VOS's steps short of setting a fixed IP should take you there, to a working MRV.

The OP's problem is that when he was using DHCP for MRV, one of the receivers routinely would drop off and reconnect. When the WCCK (and router) was removed from the equation and the OP used static IP addresses via APIPA, MRV worked fine. The next step is to reconnect the WCCK and use static IP addresses that are on his home network.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#50 OFFLINE   litex2x

litex2x

Legend

• Registered
  • 145 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 09:34 AM

Setting up static ip addresses differs from router to router so there's not really a universal step guide to doing it but the principles are the same. Are you completely sure you don't have the problem when the CCK-W is removed completely from your setup? You want to be completely sure before continuing any further.

What I did for my setup was change the DHCP starting address in my router. I then connected my DirecTV setup to my home network normally using DHCP and then I went into advance network setup in each receiver and chose an address that comes before the DHCP starting address. I also assigned a static address to the CCK-W and you can do that through your browser. Each device should have its own unique address ie if your starting DHCP address is 192.168.1.100 your receivers can be 192.168.1.55, 192.168.1.56, 192.1681.57. Also you may have to restart all your current devices using the same router to release their current addresses so they can get new addresses.

Edited by litex2x, 19 September 2012 - 09:40 AM.

#51 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,981 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 09:52 AM

I also assigned a static address to the CCK-W.

My nature is to take steps for these changes, instead of a "shotgun" approach.
It might be of some use to know if:

• static on just the receivers resolves this, or
  • whether just static on the WCCK would, or
  • if all need to be set to static.

A.K.A VOS

#52 OFFLINE   litex2x

litex2x

Legend

• Registered
  • 145 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 10:01 AM

My nature is to take steps for these changes, instead of a "shotgun" approach.
It might be of some use to know if:

• static on just the receivers resolves this, or
  • whether just static on the WCCK would, or
  • if all need to be set to static.

I can't say for sure. I gave everything a static ip address to rule everything out. He may want to start with assigning just the dvr with a static address and see what happens from there. If that doesn't work assign the WCCK an address and then everyone else if that fails.

#53 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,981 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 10:29 AM

I can't say for sure.

Which is why doing things in steps helps. ;)
For several years, some routers have needed to have the receivers use static.
It would be something new if the WCCK needed static.
A.K.A VOS

#54 OFFLINE   irish1811

irish1811

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 44 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 11:11 AM

Yes, I am 99% sure it only happend when the WCCK was connected. I have logged into my router controls and see where I can add a reserved IP, I will give it a try tonight when I get home.

#55 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,981 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 11:17 AM

Yes, I am 99% sure it only happend when the WCCK was connected. I have logged into my router controls and see where I can add a reserved IP, I will give it a try tonight when I get home.

This isn't what you want to do, as it's still under DHCP.

You need to find the IP range for DHCP, and then select IP addresses outside of this range.
For my router it's below .064

1-ip.PNG
A.K.A VOS

#56 OFFLINE   irish1811

irish1811

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 44 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 04:37 PM

My range is 192.168.0.1, but it looks like I can change it, I have 5 receivers, do I change all or just the DVR? And do I do the router thing first then connect the DVR or the other way around??????

#57 OFFLINE   irish1811

irish1811

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 44 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 04:40 PM

I tried to reserve an IP outside the range and I got an error message saying it needed to be in the range???????????

#58 OFFLINE   litex2x

litex2x

Legend

• Registered
  • 145 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 04:42 PM

That sounds like your gateway address. Go to your DHCP settings and see where the local address starts. It might be 192.168.0.2. Set it to 192.168.0.100 and then go to your hd dvr and go to the advance network setup and change that ip to 192.168.0.50. If there is a CPE setting in your DHCP configuration set it to the max allowed with the new range.

#59 OFFLINE   irish1811

irish1811

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 44 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 04:47 PM

This is the help fro my router, do i want the hard core IP address for my dvr and other receivers?

"If you have your own DHCP server servicing the LAN side (or choose to "hardcode" all of your PC's IP addresses), you can disable the internal DHCP server by selecting the No radio button. If you do this, make sure the IP address assigned to the device is on the same subnet as the external DHCP server (the subnet mask is always 255.255.255.0), or you won't be able to access the device from the LAN. The IP address of the device can be set from the Basic Setup page.

You can also set the starting IP address for IP leases available to the LAN, and change the number of PCs supported on the LAN. In the case above, addresses 192.168.0.2 through 192.168.0.9 can be used as hard-coded IP addresses with no fear of IP address conflict with the DHCP pool."

#60 OFFLINE   litex2x

litex2x

Legend

• Registered
  • 145 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 04:51 PM

This is the help fro my router, do i want the hard core IP address for my dvr and other receivers?

"If you have your own DHCP server servicing the LAN side (or choose to "hardcode" all of your PC's IP addresses), you can disable the internal DHCP server by selecting the No radio button. If you do this, make sure the IP address assigned to the device is on the same subnet as the external DHCP server (the subnet mask is always 255.255.255.0), or you won't be able to access the device from the LAN. The IP address of the device can be set from the Basic Setup page.

You can also set the starting IP address for IP leases available to the LAN, and change the number of PCs supported on the LAN. In the case above, addresses 192.168.0.2 through 192.168.0.9 can be used as hard-coded IP addresses with no fear of IP address conflict with the DHCP pool."

Yea hardcoding is what you need. If it's already set 192.168.0.2-9 then try setting your hd dvr ip address to 192.168.0.2 or whatever the next available ip address is. Start with just the hd dvr for now. It may not be necessary to do everything.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...