Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Front page news

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,927 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 16 September 2012 - 09:24 AM

Who come no notice on the front page about Big Ten Network being lost on Dish?

See post My Setup for configuration info.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,309 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 11:13 AM

Who come no notice on the front page about Big Ten Network being lost on Dish?

There isn't one for Gol TV HD being lost from DirecTV (and Gol TV SD being relegated to the Spanish packages).

Perhaps it is just not that newsworthy. :)

#3 OFFLINE   Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek

On the edge

• Super Moderators
  • 9,017 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 16 September 2012 - 11:17 AM

Dang, I didn't even know we had that channel. How am I to know that I should be mad. :lol:

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.
Become a DBSTalk.com member or join the CE program HERE

#4 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 15,927 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 16 September 2012 - 11:26 AM

There isn't one for Gol TV HD being lost from DirecTV (and Gol TV SD being relegated to the Spanish packages).

Perhaps it is just not that newsworthy. :)

IIRC it was removed due to losing coverage of a major soccer league to beIN, haven't seen many posts at all at the loss. Plus if folks still want it that can at least subscribe to a package and get it.

Not the same with BTN, I've seen more post from folks upset at losing those channels plus Dish subs don't have an alternative to receive it besides switching providers.

So the loss of a network is no big deal, but adding Glen Becks channel or some more watch live channels on the DIRECTV iPad app does?

Just trying to understand the logic employed as to what is and what isn't front page worthy.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#5 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,309 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 11:49 AM

DISH losing a channel seems routine - at least if you ask those who like to bash DISH. :)

Seriously, the home page posts are generally made by a mod who notices something that they believe to be newsworthy. We, being human, probably miss a story from time to time. I usually notice when there is a press release or major change - something that needs to be brought to the attention of everyone visiting the site.

As you noted, people are discussing the BTN issue ... and have been for several weeks. It is a continuing story that started weeks ago that has already received the attention of the people it affects.

I mentioned the GolTV issue (which is the loss of a HD channel on DirecTV even if people can pay for the Spanish pack to get the SD version) to note that not everything makes the front page. We didn't have Front Page News when many (most?) local TV markets went out on DirecTV earlier this week and it took a while to restore them. We probably should have as people coming to the site wondering where their locals were would have been directed to the appropriate thread. I'm sure there are other things that could be on the Front Page but don't show up there.

Try not to over think it.

#6 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,582 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 16 September 2012 - 12:21 PM

Dang, I didn't even know we had that channel. How am I to know that I should be mad. :lol:

Heh. We all need more things to be mad at. Hell, you should be outraged!
:D

A more serious q.: With the removal of GOL but the other additions, are soccer fans on DIRECTV missing some important games?
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#7 ONLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,525 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 12:32 PM

'important games' = oxymoron
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#8 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,452 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 16 September 2012 - 03:33 PM

To be honest here... I thought about a news item for Big Ten... but what would it say?

3 weeks ago it would have said "Dish to drop Big Ten"... then on that first Saturday it would have changed to "1 week extension"

The next week it would have been "Big Ten dropped from Dish" early Saturday morning... but an hour later would have been "Agreement in principle reached, Big Ten is back!"

So then this past week it would have again been "Big Ten dropped"...

Frankly, I like college sports, but I'm tired of that roller coaster. Either make a deal or don't make a deal... but I think if we made a headline out of every change people would just start ignoring our headlines because it would start to look like a chat room.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#9 OFFLINE   klang

klang

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,268 posts
  • LocationNear Houston, TX

Posted 16 September 2012 - 05:23 PM

Did not know there was a front page. :lol:

#10 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,661 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 05:24 PM

At one time I'm pretty sure DBSTalk had a link to submit a news tip, but I just looked and can't find it.

Maybe one can be added to the Quick Links menu so members can contribute suggestions for new headlines, and then the moderator team can evaluate the news-worthiness...

#11 OFFLINE   Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek

On the edge

• Super Moderators
  • 9,017 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 16 September 2012 - 05:46 PM

Click on the Forums tab and in the center of the screen in the blue background is the "Submit it" button. It's right above the DIRECTV Forums for me but probably at the top of the Forum choices for the rest.

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.
Become a DBSTalk.com member or join the CE program HERE

#12 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,661 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 07:00 PM

Thanks Scott. I knew I saw it somewhere.

#13 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 07:18 PM

I've lost a remote around my house somewhere. Should I submit the news for the front page?

It's an important issue for me. God knows it's made me mad, or at least very frustrated.
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

spam firewall