Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR24's won't power on

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   JerryMeeker

JerryMeeker

Legend

• Registered
  • 156 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 11:40 AM

On successive days this week (yesterday and today), first one, and then the other of my two HR24's would not power on. They were unresponsive to power on commands from the remote as well as to the front panel power on button. In both cases, power-cycling the DVR restored them to operation, and both passed a system test. Both DVR's are less than six months old.

Has anyone else experienced this issue?

Edit: I just noticed that the HR24 that was unresponsive this morning failed to record a program that was scheduled for 8am this morning, which means that the DVR was completely not functioning.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,613 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 16 September 2012 - 12:11 PM

On successive days this week (yesterday and today), first one, and then the other of my two HR24's would not power on. They were unresponsive to power on commands from the remote as well as to the front panel power on button. In both cases, power-cycling the DVR restored them to operation, and both passed a system test. Both DVR's are less than six months old.

Has anyone else experienced this issue?

Edit: I just noticed that the HR24 that was unresponsive this morning failed to record a program that was scheduled for 8am this morning, which means that the DVR was completely not functioning.

Check Menu, Settings, Power Saving and see if they are set to OFF. If not, do this first and see if it helps.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#3 OFFLINE   JerryMeeker

JerryMeeker

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 156 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 01:10 PM

Check Menu, Settings, Power Saving and see if they are set to OFF. If not, do this first and see if it helps.

Both DVR's have power savings turned off since this feature was implemented, so this is not the cause. Besides, power savings doesn't make the DVR completely unresponsive.

#4 OFFLINE   BuLL

BuLL

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 09:19 AM

I had and continue to have this same problem with my HR24-200.
http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=205206
The fans also shut off when it locks up, so it tends to overheat and sometimes needs to be unplugged for 5-10 minutes. Otherwise a RBR brings it back to life.

If I schedule recordings every other hour overnight or while I am gone, then it won't lock up. After a couple days of constant recording, it will stop locking up even if recordings aren't scheduled. But if the unit is rebooted for any reason, then the lockups start once again.

#5 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,985 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 20 September 2012 - 09:37 AM

Do those having this problem use IR mode?

If that's the case, I wonder if using RF mode won't change your fortunes.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#6 OFFLINE   BuLL

BuLL

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 09:50 AM

I have used both IR & RF and it doesn't make a difference.
For me the DVR only locks up after several hours of inactivity. In standby or powered on, doesn't seem to matter.

#7 OFFLINE   RGoldman

RGoldman

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 06:25 PM

I am going through something similar. See my post and the latest attempt at resolving it here: http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=208686

#8 OFFLINE   JerryMeeker

JerryMeeker

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 156 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 08:45 PM

It's interesting that others have seen this problem as well. It hasn't happened on my two HR24-500's since my first report. I am now in the habit of quickly powering on each DVR in the morning to make sure it isn't frozen.

I know it's not a temperature issue, because both DVR's are on their own shelf in an open rack. Both units were new this year, and both have over 80% HD capacity free. The only thing they have in common is both have been upgraded to 2TB hard drives (they are owned DVR's, of course).

Protected By... spam firewall...And...