Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DirecTV's Manual Record implementation sucks

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,575 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 27 September 2012 - 09:15 PM

Drill, have you manage to recreate the fubar situation you described earlier?
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Registered
  • 939 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 09:33 PM

Should it matter whether your live or recording on the other tuner?

There should be some evidence that a battlefield decision was made to butch off a recording.

WTH is that supposed to mean? I've never heard that expression before.

#23 OFFLINE   lokar

lokar

Icon

• Registered
  • 658 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 11:34 AM

I will support the OP as I have seen this bad behavior as well. A couple of weeks ago I set a soccer game to manually record on the new BeIn Sports channel on Saturday from 8-10am my time. I set it manually because this channel has a lot of guide issues. The guide at the time said there was a La Liga pregame show from 8-9 and something else from 9-10. I think the guide data changed and the DVR apparently decided I really wanted to only record the La Liga pregame show so it recorded from 7:30 - 8:30 my time so I basically missed the whole game. The really weird thing is that the DVR kept trying to record La Liga pregame shows throughout the week as well.

Anyhow, the OP is right that a manual record should execute as set no matter what and there should be no inferring taking place at all. The DVR should just title the program Manual Record and do what it's told.

#24 OFFLINE   drill

drill

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 142 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 08:37 PM

Lokar, you are awesome ... the ONLY one so far that seems to get it.

tonyd79, you didn't do exactly what i did. you set a recording that spanned 2 shows, and hit record on both. don't hit record on the second show.

This bug does NOT always repro. This is one of the reasons I call it a bug. The same behavior by the user does not result in the same behavior by the DVR.

It may have something to do with guide data changing for the program the MANUAL RECORD is using to title the recording. That is certainly what happened in Lokar's case. A Manual recording SHOULD NEVER change if the guide data changes.

In my case, I am 95% certain that when I entered the manual recording, the show started at 8:15. Later, the guide updated, and moved the start time to 8:20.

My guess is that when the guide data changes, the software routine that updates the recordings doesn't handle manual recordings correctly. It should ignore manual recordings, but my hunch is that it doesn't.

Unfortunately, we as users can't control guide data to run the needed experiments to test this. But as Lokar and I have said, there IS a bug with DirecTVs manual record logic. The exact repro conditions aren't known, but I think it is related to updating guide data.

Anyone at DirecTV listening???

#25 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,266 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 30 September 2012 - 07:14 AM

Adding the second recording should not matter. And from your description your recording spanned two shows.

I have has guide data change on my manual recordings and no issues. Like when Leno changed because of the Olympics.

There may be an odd bug but I can't find it nor have I experienced it. It is also possible you did something slightly different than what you described that forces a bug or does what it is supposed to do under those conditions. But I cannot find it.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

spam firewall