Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

C-Band to Ku-Band

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   kbee

kbee

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 06:52 AM

Hi I have a 12ft c-band mesh dish and I am trying to set it up to use ku-band is it possible and what lnb should I use?I was trying the 118.7/119 dual lnb but no success
Thanks
kbee

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   PrinceLH

PrinceLH

Godfather

• Registered
  • 473 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 03:34 PM

Why would you limit yourself to just Ku band? You can get the dual C/Ku LNB's and get both. There's more content on C Band. I'm in the process of setting up a C/Ku band unit, for the first time in almost 15 years. With so few working DC2 systems (DSR920, 921, 922, 925) there is more in the clear stuff out there. Add a free to air DVB2 system with it and there's lots to play with. 87w and 101w seem to have a good variety of free programming, right now.

#3 OFFLINE   kbee

kbee

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 06:29 PM

Hi thanks for your help,your suggestion was well appreciated,I will take your comments and see if the sky is the limit.
kbee

#4 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 06:40 PM

Also make sure your 12' mesh dish has KU capability. Older mesh was to wide, or rough for KU, where newer ones had finer mesh which reflected the signal. I have a C/KU dish and C/KU LNB, and due to the age of the dish, and some hail damage, I cannot get it to pick up any KU at all, which C band signals are 90% or better.

Sometimes its just cheaper to get a small KU dish system with a Horizon to Horizon motor drive and use a 22Khz switch to switch between the C band dish and the KU band dish.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#5 OFFLINE   PrinceLH

PrinceLH

Godfather

• Registered
  • 473 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 08:33 PM

Yes, good point. I'm putting up a 6' mesh dish, that must be 10 years old. I'm hoping that the Ku works OK on that one too. I often wonder, if you decided to repaint the dish, would the mesh holes get smaller, with each coat? Would this cause a better reflection of Ku band signals?

#6 OFFLINE   PrinceLH

PrinceLH

Godfather

• Registered
  • 473 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 09:02 AM

Getting closer, to get things up and running. Installed the new LNB, then mounted the dish. Still waiting for my actuator wire, but have been able to point at one satellite and fine tune the LNB. I'm using my DSR921, until my new Pansat 9500 arrives. Hopefully, in a week, I can start setting my perimeters and then bury the cable. Once I have the actuator set up to receive all of the satellites that I want to receive, then I'll bury it and bring the receivers into the basement and finish the install.

#7 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,918 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 30 September 2012 - 10:16 AM

Yes, good point. I'm putting up a 6' mesh dish, that must be 10 years old. I'm hoping that the Ku works OK on that one too. I often wonder, if you decided to repaint the dish, would the mesh holes get smaller, with each coat? Would this cause a better reflection of Ku band signals?

Nope. You will need to use unusual paint with very high %% of metal particle in it.
Perhaps you could use aluminum foil to cover all the reflector ?

There was old test if C reflector is good for Ku band: if normal pencil wouldn't go thru holes.

#8 OFFLINE   PrinceLH

PrinceLH

Godfather

• Registered
  • 473 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 04:42 PM

The whole width of the pencil, or just the very tip?

#9 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,918 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 30 September 2012 - 10:18 PM

its diameter [OD]

#10 OFFLINE   PrinceLH

PrinceLH

Godfather

• Registered
  • 473 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 09:55 AM

its diameter [OD]

I think that I'm good. I'll update, when the whole system is in place.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...