Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

The Last Resort

• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   TBoneit

TBoneit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 01:15 PM

Three nukes in the first episode.

I thought it was Four Nukes, Three in Pakistan(??) and one over the Atlantic.
Remember when your kids were the TV set's remote control?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   JohnTivo

JohnTivo

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 02:22 PM

I watched the pilot online a week ago and watched it again last night live. Will continue to watch it as long as it is airing. But the overnight ratings do not bode well for this show getting past its initial order of 13 episodes. The 8PM timeslot is not a good place for this show..

#23 OFFLINE   lyradd

lyradd

Legend

• Registered
  • 127 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 03:53 PM

I enjoyed the first episode except for the sound quality. I had to watch with closed captioning turned on just so I could figure out what was said. Anyone else notice this?

Edited by lyradd, 28 September 2012 - 06:13 PM.

#24 OFFLINE   Billzebub

Billzebub

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 578 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 28 September 2012 - 03:59 PM

I watched the pilot online a week ago and watched it again last night live. Will continue to watch it as long as it is airing. But the overnight ratings do not bode well for this show getting past its initial order of 13 episodes. The 8PM timeslot is not a good place for this show..

I agree. I liked the show but I was a little surprised with the 8PM slot myself. It seems like a 10 PM show.

#25 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,030 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 28 September 2012 - 05:43 PM

I agree. I liked the show but I was a little surprised with the 8PM slot myself. It seems like a 10 PM show.

No T&A.
DREW
Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR24-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#26 OFFLINE   olguy

olguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,234 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 08:31 PM

As one who used to be bothered by such "inaccuracies" it is a lot easier when you realize these shows do NOT take place in our world this is as different to us as Star Wars. Bitching about this is no different than complaining because an alien wasn't portrayed right in Star Wars or Star Trek.

If this was advertised as a factual documentary following a REAL submarine or retelling a true story then you would have a point. Of course I also know people like to be offended and complain about things so what more should I expect.

As for the show I liked it, looks like the Pres. or CEO or whatever he is-- is pulling a Wag the dog to prevent impeachment.

This show is supposed to be in the here and now. It is not science fiction. It is fiction but there are some things I and many other submarine vets can't ignore. As I said, I usually am able to turn off my disbelief and I can ignore a few technical discrepancies. I have enjoyed several technically inaccurate submarine movies. I'm glad some of you enjoyed it. I'm sure I enjoy some programs you don't. Thank goodness we have more than one channel.
Just another old geezer killin' time till time kills me.

#27 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,697 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 28 September 2012 - 08:47 PM

This show is supposed to be in the here and now. It is not science fiction. It is fiction but there are some things I and many other submarine vets can't ignore. As I said, I usually am able to turn off my disbelief and I can ignore a few technical discrepancies. I have enjoyed several technically inaccurate submarine movies. I'm glad some of you enjoyed it. I'm sure I enjoy some programs you don't. Thank goodness we have more than one channel.

I'm not a vet of any kind... and my father was in the Air Force... so I have nothing concrete to go on here... but I admit, while watching this... it didn't feel real to me.

I like some of the players, particularly Braugher... so I'll stick with it to see where it goes... but IF I were looking for a realistic portrayal of a "current world" military gone wrong TV show... I concur that this wouldn't be it.

On that level, I think you and others shouldn't take offense (although I can see if you do)... because this truly is a fictionalized representation of what someone thinks might happen on a submarine command... it smacks of not having a military consultant aboard the production.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#28 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,265 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 28 September 2012 - 09:01 PM

Take it for what it is: entertainment. If if I looked at the accuracy of my job as it is portrayed on TV, I couldn't watch a lot of shows. The ones that are accurate can be that much more entertaining, but I realize that is not usually possible.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#29 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,783 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 09:42 PM

Don't forget: there were some quick scenes showing the President was being impeached and basically DC was in chaos.

Then we have the Seal team being recovered by the Colorado after the Seal team took "some kind" of action, and at the end of the show we find out more about this, in two different scenes.

I'm sure we'll hear more about the power struggle in DC, and I'm sure this has something to do with the "backup" method being used to tell the Colorado to launch the missiles, because there's a faction of the government operating outside of the normal channels.

It's political intrigue. It's fiction. I'm entertained and I'm here for the ride...

#30 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,919 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 28 September 2012 - 10:08 PM

If I didn't watch shows that got my field of expertise wrong (computers, programming, networking, geek stuff, etc) I'd never watch TV. While I do respect your opinion, and thank you for past service, I don't agree with not watching a TV show just because it's not technically perfect or plausible.

Ain't that the truth .. It's so bad I actively seek out inaccuracies just to see how bad they got it. I ignore it and reconcile it in my head by making it accurate so that I can move on with the storyline.

I really get a kick out of the few times I've seen an IP number that looks like this --> 192.168.256.1024

Some of you IT guys will realize how many ways of wrong that is .. :P

---

So me, on the other end of the spectrum knowing very little about subs (it goes under water, right?) .. It all sounded believable to me even though I'm certain there was a lot of crap to it .. like the wall of the infirmary buckling and then somehow it will be miraculously fixed at some later point in the show. Definitely am not going to sweat the little stuff.
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#31 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,876 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 10:22 PM

Ain't that the truth .. It's so bad I actively seek out inaccuracies just to see how bad they got it. I ignore it and reconcile it in my head by making it accurate so that I can move on with the storyline.

I really get a kick out of the few times I've seen an IP number that looks like this --> 192.168.256.1024

My co-workers and I make it a game to find the most incorrect info in movies. Very few times have I seen a show or even movie get IP addresses right. I normally see stuff like 321.285.412.800, not even close. Only one movie (Untraceable) and one TV show (The Big Bang Theory) even come close. I have to just tell myself it's all fantasy. :lol:
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#32 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,264 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 29 September 2012 - 09:22 AM

--> 192.168.256.1024

That would seem to fall under the "555-" privacy thing, right?
VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#33 OFFLINE   tsmacro

tsmacro

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,191 posts
  • LocationEast Central Indiana

Posted 29 September 2012 - 12:01 PM

I enjoyed it and I'll keep watching. One thing that does concern me though is that i'm a little worried how'll they sustain this. It seems to have a good premise for a 2 to 3 hour movie, how are they going to stretch it out for a television season length? I mean how long will it take to get stale if every week is a big game of chase and try to destroy the sub and then somehow the crew of the sub manages to miraculously survive every week? Hopefully they'll add enough story elements to keep it interesting.

"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair." - Douglas Adams

"Who would rule a nation when he could have easier work, such as carrying water uphill in a sieve?" - Robert Jordan

#34 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,091 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 29 September 2012 - 05:52 PM

---

So me, on the other end of the spectrum knowing very little about subs (it goes under water, right?) .. It all sounded believable to me even though I'm certain there was a lot of crap to it .. like the wall of the infirmary buckling and then somehow it will be miraculously fixed at some later point in the show. Definitely am not going to sweat the little stuff.

That's why I am enjoying books by Mark Russinovich who really knows malware, or Daniel Suarez. Though I'm in fear of any movie made from them.

As for Last Resort, I'm not sure it will survive anyway.

#35 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,914 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 06:34 PM

As a submarine veteran I had no desire to watch this program. It is beyond a stretch of the imagination that something like this could take place. I normally can suspend my disbelief but not this time. Below is just one of many comments by some of my submarine veteran friends. I don't think too many old boat sailors will be watching. Not that it will make a difference to ABC.

I watched it but I'm have a hard time with it too. I'm finding the whole thing too farfetched.

I spent four and a half years on a boomer. They received an authenticated launch order from a proper authority. They would have launched without question. That I can guarantee.

If I want reality I’ll watch the news so I’ll give it another episode but it’s really stretching reality pretty danged far.

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#36 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,479 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 12 October 2012 - 11:40 PM

I like this show. The writing is tight, the acting is good, and it generally has good production values.

It is a 10 pm Wednesday storyline with 9 pm Tuesday costs. Putting it, or anything else, on at 8 pm Thursday opposite "The Big Bang Theory" and "The X Factor" is much like putting on Friday. If Fox couldn't support "Terra Nova" why ABC thinks it could support this is a mystery.

But I like the show because the main story arc is thoughtful fiction. It would have made a "good read" novel. If it were a miniseries, I'd be more enthused. What would one do writing the fourth episode of season eight? I guess starting a new civilization?

Or maybe they all died and the island is the "Lost" island relocated....

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#37 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,876 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 03:04 AM

I like this show. The writing is tight, the acting is good, and it generally has good production values.

It is a 10 pm Wednesday storyline with 9 pm Tuesday costs. Putting it, or anything else, on at 8 pm Thursday opposite "The Big Bang Theory" and "The X Factor" is much like putting on Friday. If Fox couldn't support "Terra Nova" why ABC thinks it could support this is a mystery.

But I like the show because the main story arc is thoughtful fiction.

Agreed!

Spoiler alert! :lol:
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#38 OFFLINE   oldschoolecw

oldschoolecw

HarpoonIPA

• Registered
  • 1,506 posts
  • LocationHalifax, MA

Posted 13 October 2012 - 07:12 AM

But I like the show because the main story arc is thoughtful fiction. It would have made a "good read" novel. If it were a miniseries, I'd be more enthused. What would one do writing the fourth episode of season eight? I guess starting a new civilization?

what a curve ball that would be :lol:
And BTW I also like this show

LG Cinema Screen 47LM7600
Pioneer VSX-1120
X1 unit and yes it's Comcastic
Comcast Triple Play

#39 OFFLINE   njblackberry

njblackberry

Icon

• Registered
  • 653 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 07:14 AM

I like it also, but can't see it lasting much longer... It would have been a great 2-3 night miniseries or a 3 hour movie, but I can't see the story lines staying relevant after a few weeks.

Then again, I liked Flash Forward and that didn't last either.

A "Lost" ending would be funny..

#40 OFFLINE   klang

klang

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,268 posts
  • LocationNear Houston, TX

Posted 13 October 2012 - 07:15 AM

I agree this would probably be a better miniseries aired in the Summer. I do enjoy it but the Crime Boss King of the Island story is pretty lame.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...