Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

D screwed over Jets fans in S Fla.....

• Please log in to reply
91 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   saleen351

saleen351

Godfather

• Registered
  • 478 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 09:54 AM

I pay all this money to do one thing, watch the Jets games.

I was forced to watch almost the entire 1st quarter on game mix because D just doesn't care any more. The Ravens game ran over thus CBS was not showing the Jets game, D should have moved the game off of CBS onto 715 until the earlier game ended, but they did not...

I even tried the search for the game feature, it was broken, it just sat there...

I'm not a complainer, but when it comes to paying a fortune for a decade now I'm over their monopoly. They could be doing so much more but they don't care.

Roughly around 4 minutes left in the 1st quarter did the Ravens game end, then commercials, then they finally put the game on.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,048 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 17 September 2012 - 11:04 AM

That is the problem with network schedules and blackout rules. If the game was scheduled to be on your local CBS station, even if the station does not carry the game, because of the blackout rules, DirecTV canot show the game. I am sure that DirecTV would prefer to show all games to all people in their entirety, but they are not allowed to do so.

I see this all of the time with NCAA basketball. The SEC game is on CBS, but more often than not, my CBS station decides to show a local broadcast of an ACC game instead. Because my CBS station has the rights to the game, even if they do not show it, the game is blacked out on DirecTV. When the CBS station does show the SEC game and the earlier ACC game goes into overtime, I miss the first half of the SEC game. Again, even though the SEC game is on DirecTV for other areas, DirecTV must black me out because my CBS station has the rights to the game.

The NFL games are no different. Even though all NFL games are on DirecTV, DirecTV cannot lift the blackout if your CBS station has the rights to the game, even if the previous game on the CBS station has not yet ended. The blame goes to the NFL and CBS for scheduling the games too close together.

On the other hand, I would far rather miss the first quarter of the second game than the end of the first game, so I do not blame the local CBS station for not switching to the second game until after the first game has ended.

#3 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 11:17 AM

The blame goes to the NFL and CBS for scheduling the games too close together.

Exactly.... there isn't a whole lot DirecTV could have done in this situation, NFL sets the rules for blackouts, local carriage, and whatnot, and they also determine when games are scheduled.
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#4 OFFLINE   saleen351

saleen351

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 478 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 11:19 AM

I don't blame CBS, I blame DTV...

They should have moved the game to the national channel for the game temporarily until the Ravens game ended. They have done it before but they fell asleep at the wheel. They got my money, they don't care..

#5 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,048 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 17 September 2012 - 11:33 AM

They should have moved the game to the national channel for the game temporarily until the Ravens game ended. They have done it before but they fell asleep at the wheel. They got my money, they don't care..

Obviously you either did not read or did not comprehend the posts above. DirecTV cannot place a game on the national channel temporarily or otherwise without the expressed written permission from the NFL and the local CBS channels and that cannot happen on the fly. It all comes down to who owns the content and who has paid to carry what. If the game is scheduled to be on your local CBS station, even if the previous game has not ended, there is nothing DirecTV can do about it.

Sure, DirecTV has the technology to show the game on a national channel, but they do not have the rights to do so. The NFL owns the rights and they have licensed those rights to your local CBS station.

#6 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,458 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 17 September 2012 - 11:38 AM

So why was it included in Game Mix? They are not supposed to be shown there if it's blacked out in the local area.

#7 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 11:41 AM

Games broadcast in my market on both CBS and Fox showed up in the Mix channel. Of course, when I highlighted on them and tried to switch to that channel, I got a black screen.
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#8 OFFLINE   dcowboy7

dcowboy7

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,603 posts
  • LocationPequannock, NJ

Posted 17 September 2012 - 11:54 AM

So why was it included in Game Mix? They are not supposed to be shown there if it's blacked out in the local area.

Weve been thru this 1,347 times in other threads.

Blacked out games are not on game mix because they cant select it to blackout only in those select local markets since its a national channel.

edit:
its still on redzone at least.

Edited by dcowboy7, 17 September 2012 - 01:13 PM.

#9 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,458 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 17 September 2012 - 11:55 AM

Just wondering, because the Tampa game was blacked out (though due to not meeting the minimum for broadcast), and it wasn't on Mix. Maybe this scenario is different since it wasn't blacked out completely. I admit, all the rules have always been a bit confusing to me.

#10 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,272 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 17 September 2012 - 12:11 PM

As for the Mix. They pick up to 8 games for the mix. They cannot put a game on the Mix that is blacked out in the home team's market because of a non-sellout. That game is not available in any way in the home territory. Like when the Bucs did not sell out, the game is not on Mix anywhere, not on ST in the Tampa area, not on locally in the Tampa area. Those outside the Tampa area get the game.

Games on local TV (OTA) that are kept off ST in the area local to the OTA station are not really blackouts as the games are available. They are only available on the local station. DirecTV should show the game on the ST channel if the game is not showing on the local network channel due to overrun. If they did not do that with the Jets game because of the Ravens overrun, they made a mistake.

As for local network rules, they stay with the early game until its conclusion unless the late game involves a local team. If the Jets were playing a local team, then the local network station would switch and DirecTV should make the early game (Ravens in this case) available via ST.

They do not need a case by case clearance for this. It is all agreed in advance.

Someone messed up in the OP's case.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#11 OFFLINE   yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,721 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 12:31 PM

Just wondering, because the Tampa game was blacked out (though due to not meeting the minimum for broadcast), and it wasn't on Mix. Maybe this scenario is different since it wasn't blacked out completely. I admit, all the rules have always been a bit confusing to me.

NFL Black Out rules confusing. You got to be kidding.:)

#12 OFFLINE   nmetro

nmetro

Godfather

• Registered
  • 585 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 12:56 PM

The same thing happened in Denver. I just thought, despite the the two games being on two different channels; that there was only one DTV feed available for programming streaming purposes. This was a common practice with DISH. There was always the NFL Mix and Red Zone channels available for this instance.

But, it makes sense about blackout rules. Because the Denver affiliate had was showing the same games yesterday; Ravens, then Jets. I watched the Browns and Bengals; good game.

#13 OFFLINE   MikeW

MikeW

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,538 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 01:00 PM

It's the second week in a row that I've seen this complaint and have not been affected by it. In Week 1, the Niners/Green Bay game was the national game. The game on Fox ran over and I was able to watch the SF/GB game on Sunday Ticket. When it became available locally, the blackout was turned on for Sunday ticket. Same thing happened with Jets/Steelers yesterday. The blackout was conveniently turned on during a commercial break so I didn't miss anything.

I wonder why it is different here.

#14 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,831 posts
  • LocationWanye County PA

Posted 17 September 2012 - 02:23 PM

Jets got their Ass beat anyway.

DIRECTV Since 5/13/2012:

Living room      Master Bedroom        Bedroom 2            Bedroom 3       Office/Bedroom 4      

HR34-700  /  C31-700  /  HR24-500 / HR23-700  /  H25-100 

Slimline 5 / SWiM 16 / Premier / HD Xtra / MLB EI  / MRV

Blue Ridge Cable Networked 30-3 Mbps 

#15 OFFLINE   Msguy

Msguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,572 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 02:31 PM

I agree with the first poster. In the past when a game from the first tier of games went past 4 pm Eastern Time D* used to show the 1st half of a late game on the Sunday Ticket Channel. But they don't care to do that anymore. It does not matter if the team in question lost. It should have been available while the game on his local CBS channel went over the time allotted. We are paying money to watch these games and when it's not available something is wrong here.

#16 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,272 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 17 September 2012 - 02:42 PM

I agree with the first poster. In the past when a game from the first tier of games went past 4 pm Eastern Time D* used to show the 1st half of a late game on the Sunday Ticket Channel. But they don't care to do that anymore. It does not matter if the team in question lost. It should have been available while the game on his local CBS channel went over the time allotted. We are paying money to watch these games and when it's not available something is wrong here.

Why are you assuming a change in policy when some are reporting they had a problem and others are reporting the opposite.

Sounds like mess ups to me.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#17 OFFLINE   bnwrx

bnwrx

Icon

• Registered
  • 934 posts
  • Locationcolorado, in the mountains.....

Posted 17 September 2012 - 03:42 PM

I was forced to watch almost the entire 1st quarter on game mix because D just doesn't care any more. The Ravens game ran over thus CBS was not showing the Jets game, D should have moved the game off of CBS onto 715 until the earlier game ended, but they did not...

I even tried the search for the game feature, it was broken, it just sat there...

I'm not a complainer, but when it comes to paying a fortune for a decade now I'm over their monopoly. They could be doing so much more but they don't care.

Roughly around 4 minutes left in the 1st quarter did the Ravens game end, then commercials, then they finally put the game on.

Ah, just a minute. I had the same issue in Colorado, when the Ravens game ran long, I switched to Game Mix, watched for a minute, then clicked on the yellow box for the Steeler game which switched me to channel 715 where I watched the whole 1st quarter. A message appeared near the end of the 1st quarter telling me the game was blacked out on 715(which I knew because my local was airing the game). I then switched to the local and watched the boys from Steeltown beat the Jets. Thought it was great Directv opened up the ST channel so I could watch while the other game ran long.

HR44-500 HDMI to 42"Toshiba
HR21-100 HDMI to 32" LG and 20" AOC

Directv since 1996(the USSB,Pegasus days...)
...sometimes, there is no answer...
http://woodlandweather.org/

#18 OFFLINE   MikeW

MikeW

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,538 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 03:45 PM

Did you try the Sunday Ticket channel for the Jets/Steelers game?

#19 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,726 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 04:09 PM

Then you're blaming the wrong company. As others have told you this is a rule created by the NFL. There's nothing DirecTV could have done about it. Blame the NFL and/or CBS.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#20 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 04:27 PM

This isn't a DirecTV issue. They have absolutely no control over it and must follow the rules. There isn't much else to say beyond that.

spam firewall