Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

D screwed over Jets fans in S Fla.....

• Please log in to reply
91 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   HGuardian

HGuardian

Godfather

• Registered
  • 429 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 04:57 PM

This isn't a DirecTV issue. They have absolutely no control over it and must follow the rules. There isn't much else to say beyond that.

So when Directv does lift blackouts on the national Sunday Ticket channels (as bnwrx posted just happened this Sunday) when games overlap they are violating the rules? Good point.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   bjlc

bjlc

Icon

• Registered
  • 957 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 05:26 PM

Games broadcast in my market on both CBS and Fox showed up in the Mix channel. Of course, when I highlighted on them and tried to switch to that channel, I got a black screen.

every now and then, you can sneak into that channel. .but DON"T CHANGE IT, because you won't get it back.. trust me , I know.. how to sneak in, it happens by hap pan stance..

#23 OFFLINE   AMike

AMike

Godfather

• Registered
  • 367 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 05:38 PM

Ah, just a minute. I had the same issue in Colorado, when the Ravens game ran long, I switched to Game Mix, watched for a minute, then clicked on the yellow box for the Steeler game which switched me to channel 715 where I watched the whole 1st quarter. A message appeared near the end of the 1st quarter telling me the game was blacked out on 715(which I knew because my local was airing the game). I then switched to the local and watched the boys from Steeltown beat the Jets. Thought it was great Directv opened up the ST channel so I could watch while the other game ran long.

This is exactly what happened for me yesterday. I was able to watch the first quarter on 715, then at the end of the first quarter, I got the blackout message. Once that occurred, I switched to the local CBS station.

DirecTV subscriber 1999-2011, 2012 - present
Comcast subscriber 2011-2012, 2013 - present

#24 OFFLINE   sweep49

sweep49

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 160 posts
  • LocationSW GA

Posted 17 September 2012 - 05:49 PM

This is exactly what happened for me yesterday. I was able to watch the first quarter on 715, then at the end of the first quarter, I got the blackout message. Once that occurred, I switched to the local CBS station.

Same for me; watched on 715 when needed, then switched to local. So did the OP try 715? I thought DTV did an excellent job managing the situation.

HR22-100 + AM21
HR22-100

HR44-500 + AM21
H21 + AM21

Self installed:
Slimline 5
SWM-16
MRV

#25 OFFLINE   r028806

r028806

Mentor

• Registered
  • 61 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 06:05 PM

Just love these posts where DIRECTV is always the culprit. It's never the extremely restrictive blackout rules that must be followed and it's never the local affiliate who chooses which game they are broadcasting, DIRECTV does not care, they should just ignore those regs and do it anyway. Complain to the league people its not DIRECTV.

Slimline 5 / SWM 16
Whole Home Enabled
Cinema Connection Kit (Coax)
HR24-500 :hurah:
HR23-700 :grin:
HR22-100 :lol:

HR23-700 :sure:
H25-500 :rolling:

#26 OFFLINE   Garyunc

Garyunc

Godfather

• Registered
  • 310 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 07:53 PM

I would wager that the op did not check 715, he just selected the game from game mix and of course it went to the local channel still carrying the first game.
DirecTV customer since 1995

#27 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,436 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 17 September 2012 - 07:57 PM

I would wager that the op did not check 715, he just selected the game from game mix and of course it went to the local channel still carrying the first game.

Rereading his post, it looks like he is confused. He thought the first game would be moved off his local station to Sunday Ticket rather than the second game starting in Sunday ticket then shutting off there when it came on CBS.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#28 OFFLINE   kikkenit2

kikkenit2

Icon

• Registered
  • 662 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 08:21 PM

This is a directv problem. They are letting people watch the beginning of the late game. The trick is how to get there. It isn't that simple. I record the entire length of every game. 14 tuners. 49ers are my team. I tried everything last week to start viewing/recording the beginning of that win over Green Bay.

I preset a recording on the 7xx channel. It wouldn't go there. Once I saw the game on 702/game mix I again tried to tune to that channel. It kept searching and I gave up. I finally just watched that first 6 minutes on 702!

I never did try to tune to 71x from 702. Someone here said that did work. The method matters. I haven't found it yet. If the niners stay undefeated this will happen a lot this season. We need to figure out exactly how to unlock this blacked out feed. CBS has the double header this week. I'll try getting into the Raiders game early through game mix channel.

#29 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 08:24 PM

I record the entire length of every game.

Wow...

#30 OFFLINE   saleen351

saleen351

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 478 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 08:46 PM

Of course I tried 715, I've had NFST for a decade now... The game in S Fla was NOT ON 715! Thus why I was ticked off. The game was locally on CBS.

D dropped the ball. I don't see how it was CBS, they gain nothing from holding the game off of 715. If you wanted to see the Jets game you turned to GM like I was forced to.

#31 OFFLINE   dcowboy7

dcowboy7

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,611 posts
  • LocationPequannock, NJ

Posted 17 September 2012 - 09:38 PM

I would wager that the op did not check 715

Of course I tried 715

Guess you lose that wager.

#32 OFFLINE   inf0z

inf0z

Legend

• Registered
  • 259 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 12:01 AM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think this is how it works...
DIRECTV will open up the Sunday Ticket channel if games are overlapping. However, since CBS bought the rights to air the game DIRECTV must first get consent from CBS to open up the Jets game on the Sunday Ticket channel in the case of overlapping games.

#33 OFFLINE   Physical Presence

Physical Presence

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 02:13 AM

I got the ultimate screw job. My early game in the SF bay area was the Raiders/Dolphins game. Of course, CBS goes into bonus coverage of the Ravens/ Eagles game, which I can understand. What I can't understand is why in the hell they didn't start the Jets/Steelers game at 1:25 like they should have. They just left the Ravens/Eagles on like it was the only game remaining.

I wonder if this happened to everyone in the country that was scheduled to see the Jets/Steelers game in their market.

Shame on CBS for this screw up, and shame on Directv for not opening up 715 until the local switched to the Jets game. I, too, checked 715 several times hoping that the game would be on temporarily.

#34 OFFLINE   joed32

joed32

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,630 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 06:12 AM

bnwrx in Colorado got to see the Jets-Steelers on 715 until the early game was over then he had to switch to CBS. That is the way it's supposed to work and obviously they had permission to do so. It just didn't get implemented correctly in some viewing areas so that would have to be a Directv mistake.

#35 OFFLINE   Eksynyt

Eksynyt

Icon

• Registered
  • 833 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 11:26 AM

This is nothing new. There are always a few areas that end up getting screwed and they forget to open up the Sunday Ticket channel for the late game for them, but they manage to do it the right way for other areas. It makes no sense...we're paying a lot of money for this.

#36 OFFLINE   trainman

trainman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,453 posts
  • LocationSherman Oaks, CA

Posted 18 September 2012 - 11:26 AM

Of course, CBS goes into bonus coverage of the Ravens/ Eagles game, which I can understand. What I can't understand is why in the hell they didn't start the Jets/Steelers game at 1:25 like they should have. They just left the Ravens/Eagles on like it was the only game remaining.

That's what they've almost always done in such situations, stay with a game until it ends (unless it's a huge blowout) -- they figure that people would prefer to see the end of a given game rather than the beginning of a different game.

The exception is...

I wonder if this happened to everyone in the country that was scheduled to see the Jets/Steelers game in their market.

...that they do switch to the beginning of the game in the "home markets" -- in this case, New York and Pittsburgh. That's an NFL rule requiring the networks to do that.
trainman is Jim Ellwanger

HR34-700 | Linksys WGA-600N | Samsung 46" LCD | Slimline-5 dish

#37 OFFLINE   Mike Al

Mike Al

AllStar

• Registered
  • 78 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 11:38 AM

FWIW, NY market did not get the 1PM game on CBS since the Giants were home on FOX. Since NY does not get many doubleheaders we are rarely affected. We will get the DH this week for the 1st time since the Jets are in Miami and the Giants play Thursday.

#38 OFFLINE   Pepe Sylvia

Pepe Sylvia

Legend

• Registered
  • 154 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 12:35 PM

This is nothing new. There are always a few areas that end up getting screwed and they forget to open up the Sunday Ticket channel for the late game for them, but they manage to do it the right way for other areas. It makes no sense...we're paying a lot of money for this.

I had the same issue as the OP in the Boston market. The people who were able to watch on the ST channel must have gotten consent (to Directv)from their local channel to allow it.

#39 OFFLINE   zimm7778

zimm7778

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,158 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 02:52 PM

I got the ultimate screw job. My early game in the SF bay area was the Raiders/Dolphins game. Of course, CBS goes into bonus coverage of the Ravens/ Eagles game, which I can understand. What I can't understand is why in the hell they didn't start the Jets/Steelers game at 1:25 like they should have. They just left the Ravens/Eagles on like it was the only game remaining.

Shame on CBS for this screw up, and shame on Directv for not opening up 715 until the local switched to the Jets game. I, too, checked 715 several times hoping that the game would be on temporarily.

This is one of the real maddening things. Come to think of it whenever I've had problems with Directv not opening up the ST channel when a game on my local affiliate is running over is when the game they were televising is over and they are showing bonus coverage until that game ends. Fox always says its leaving it's bonus coverage on their dh weeks when the next game starts. CBS doesn't seem to do that.

#40 OFFLINE   HGuardian

HGuardian

Godfather

• Registered
  • 429 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 04:48 PM

I see a whole bunch of posts about how Directv needs explicit permission from the specific local affiliate to open up the national Sunday Ticket feed temporarily for a game. Does anyone actually know this or are people assuming?

spam firewall