Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

D screwed over Jets fans in S Fla.....

• Please log in to reply
91 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   inf0z

inf0z

Legend

• Registered
  • 241 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 07:01 PM

I see a whole bunch of posts about how Directv needs explicit permission from the specific local affiliate to open up the national Sunday Ticket feed temporarily for a game. Does anyone actually know this or are people assuming?

It's a pretty safe bet. If the broadcast rights are sold to CBS, FOX, or ESPN what right does DIRECTV to open up viewing with out consent? If consent was not needed then black out rules would never apply.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,019 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 07:05 PM

When games run long, we lift the secondary market blackouts so NFL Sunday Ticket customers in those blacked out markets can see the start of the second game. The Ravens game ran long this week, and we did lift blackouts for the CBS late games at 4:22PM ET. Kickoff for the late games was at 4:25PM ET. We re-implemented the blackouts at 4:53PM ET for the Steelers game and 5:06PM ET for the Chargers game. Because this was a CBS doubleheader and they do not offer a bridge show, our broadcast starts at 4:25PM ET – right before kickoff. It’s possible that customers tuning in prior to that time thought they were blacked out because we were not on the air with game coverage yet. When FOX has a doubleheader, they start their broadcast at 4:00PM ET.

Does this help?
DIRECTV employee

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#43 OFFLINE   HGuardian

HGuardian

Godfather

• Registered
  • 429 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 07:16 PM

When games run long, we lift the secondary market blackouts so NFL Sunday Ticket customers in those blacked out markets can see the start of the second game. The Ravens game ran long this week, and we did lift blackouts for the CBS late games at 4:22PM ET. Kickoff for the late games was at 4:25PM ET. We re-implemented the blackouts at 4:53PM ET for the Steelers game and 5:06PM ET for the Chargers game. Because this was a CBS doubleheader and they do not offer a bridge show, our broadcast starts at 4:25PM ET – right before kickoff. It’s possible that customers tuning in prior to that time thought they were blacked out because we were not on the air with game coverage yet. When FOX has a doubleheader, they start their broadcast at 4:00PM ET.

Does this help?

Yes but is there anything in the NFL and Directv deal that has anything at all to do with permissions from specific local affiliates as far as lifting blackouts like the ones described above? It seems to me reading your post that it's a blanket policy that covers the applicable markets, and not a "Directv got permission in market A but not B to lift the blackout on Sunday Ticket".

#44 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,019 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 07:17 PM

There are obviously broadcast rules that must be followed to protect the rights of all involved.
DIRECTV employee

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#45 OFFLINE   HGuardian

HGuardian

Godfather

• Registered
  • 429 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 07:29 PM

There are obviously broadcast rules that must be followed to protect the rights of all involved.

No, I get that. I'll give you a simple hypothetical:

CBS Orlando and CBS Miami are showing Titans@Falcons at 1. It runs late and is interfering with the scheduled Texans@Raiders game at 4:25. Should the blackout be temporary lifted on the Sunday Ticket channel (until the conclusion of Titans@Falcons on the local channel) for Texans@Raiders for both markets OR is there some rights/rules that would say Orlando gets the blackout lifted and Miami doesn't?

It seems post after post in this thread is implying one market will have the blackout lifted but another won't, even though it's the same broadcasting scenario in both markets. Is that the case? Thanks.

#46 OFFLINE   Pepe Sylvia

Pepe Sylvia

Legend

• Registered
  • 137 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 08:31 PM

Yes but is there anything in the NFL and Directv deal that has anything at all to do with permissions from specific local affiliates as far as lifting blackouts like the ones described above? It seems to me reading your post that it's a blanket policy that covers the applicable markets, and not a "Directv got permission in market A but not B to lift the blackout on Sunday Ticket".

There was a change to ST a couple/few (maybe more) years ago. You used to be able to watch the ST channel regardless. Local affiliates were complaining that they weren't getting the ad revenue they felt entitled to because people could watch "their' programming elsewhere.

#47 OFFLINE   RACJ2

RACJ2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,840 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 08:36 PM

Of course I tried 715, I've had NFST for a decade now... The game in S Fla was NOT ON 715! Thus why I was ticked off. The game was locally on CBS.

D dropped the ball. I don't see how it was CBS, they gain nothing from holding the game off of 715. If you wanted to see the Jets game you turned to GM like I was forced to.

DIRECTV was trying to let you know that if you live in S Florida, you should be a Dolphins fan. ;)

I would be upset too if that actually happened to me. Although base on Satelliteracer's post, it sounds like you just checked too early and gave up.

When games run long, we lift the secondary market blackouts so NFL Sunday Ticket customers in those blacked out markets can see the start of the second game. ... ...Because this was a CBS doubleheader and they do not offer a bridge show, our broadcast starts at 4:25PM ET – right before kickoff. It’s possible that customers tuning in prior to that time thought they were blacked out because we were not on the air with game coverage yet. When FOX has a doubleheader, they start their broadcast at 4:00PM ET.

Does this help?

HR34-700, HR22-100

#48 OFFLINE   shendley

shendley

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,695 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 09:01 PM

Barring the OP contradicting this, that sounds right to me. I checked 715 for the Steelers-Jets game exactly at 3:25 central and it was blacked out. Then I went to the game mix channel where you could see it on the tiny screen. After about 3 or 4 plays, I checked again on 715 and it was on.

Although base on Satelliteracer's post, it sounds like you just checked too early and gave up.

AU9, SWM8
Panasonic TH-58PX60U, HDMI to HR44-100, Native, DD, Optical Audio to Receiver, Harmony One, Networked with Ethernet Cable, 3.41/.71 Mbps DSL.
Panasonic TH-42PD50U, Component to HR 24-100, Antec MX-1 w. WD10EVDS ESata, Native, DD, DTV Remote.
Panasonic TC-L32X2, HDMI to C41-100, DTV Remote.
Whole Home.

#49 OFFLINE   Physical Presence

Physical Presence

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 09:44 PM

I'm wondering if anyone had 715 opened up temporarily who originally had an early game shown that actually ended on time. i.e., Directv maybe figured that since the early game in said markets was completed, they didn't have to open it up for them. Little did they realize that CBS decided to stay with the bonus coverage in said markets instead of switching to the late game scheduled.

#50 OFFLINE   milton

milton

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 146 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 06:52 AM

Instead of having somebody manually do this (and make some errors), couldn't they have an automatic 5pm eastern time blackout switch?

Or maybe have all 4:25 games in the clear until all the 1pm games are completed, then allow blackouts?

#51 OFFLINE   saleen351

saleen351

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 478 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 11:26 AM

sat racer is wrong, I kept flipping back and forth, back and forth between plays, nothing until 4mins left in the 1st quarter when the Ravens game ended.

I even tried their stupid searching for game function which just stopped working, it hung, after a minute I gave up as I did not want to miss more of the game..

It's like 1970's technology... How many times do I have to flip to game mix and try and switch the audio and apps start to load or double play starts....

Their monopoly is crumbling due to the red zone channel and NFL network yet D does nothing to keep us around.

#52 OFFLINE   dcowboy7

dcowboy7

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,556 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 11:51 AM

sat racer is wrong

Satracer wrong now theres a shock....next we will find out like water is wet.

#53 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,074 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 19 September 2012 - 11:53 AM

Instead of having somebody manually do this (and make some errors), couldn't they have an automatic 5pm eastern time blackout switch?

Or maybe have all 4:25 games in the clear until all the 1pm games are completed, then allow blackouts?

They would have to get that agreement from the NFL.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#54 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,074 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 19 September 2012 - 11:54 AM

sat racer is wrong, I kept flipping back and forth, back and forth between plays, nothing until 4mins left in the 1st quarter when the Ravens game ended.

I even tried their stupid searching for game function which just stopped working, it hung, after a minute I gave up as I did not want to miss more of the game..

It's like 1970's technology... How many times do I have to flip to game mix and try and switch the audio and apps start to load or double play starts....

Their monopoly is crumbling due to the red zone channel and NFL network yet D does nothing to keep us around.

I'm sorry. Where did he say no mistakes are ever made?

You keep getting mad when it was a mistake. Mistakes happen.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#55 OFFLINE   z28lt1

z28lt1

Legend

• Registered
  • 104 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 12:43 PM

For me in the Washington DC market, it worked as satracer described. Blackout lifted on Jets game on ST channel until shortly after the first game ended, then blackout resumed. Although I can't confirm the timing. I believe I missed the kickoff, and checked again a few minutes later and it was on.

#56 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,019 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 02:11 PM

I tried to help, gave you the logs of when games were lifted and when they weren't. I even asked if it helped. My apologies if it didn't, but my intent was simply to layout what actually was done from a broadcast perspective and the timing involved with those changes.
DIRECTV employee

#57 OFFLINE   makaiguy

makaiguy

Icon

• Registered
  • 608 posts
  • LocationAiken, SC

Posted 19 September 2012 - 02:40 PM

[rhetorical question mode on]

So, did you call DirecTV at the time to bring the error to their attention so it could be fixed?

[rhetorical question mode off]
DirecTV customer since 1997
HR24-500, HR22-100
I don't do buddy/friends lists, don't ask.

#58 OFFLINE   RACJ2

RACJ2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,840 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 07:02 PM

You do realize that SatelliteRacer is an insider, probably at the corporate office, with access to the information he posted? I'm sorry you missed part of the game, but I would have to believe what he said is actually what took place. Especially when others have confirmed that they were able to see it.

And game search can be a bit slow, but if the game is on another channel it has worked for me in the past.
HR34-700, HR22-100

#59 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 07:27 PM

saleen, I know you say you saw what you saw, but did you actually see it?

Twice in my life, I have had extended experiences that turned out to be false. Both were over trivial matters, not important enough to be detailed here, but they were real, as real as typing this to you right now. They happened in real time, with all my senses contributing. They were not momentary images but extended, complicated events. During them I remember the external circumstances around me and the inner dialog that goes on inside each of our heads. In one, I had a conversation with a family member. They were physical, emotional and as concrete as the house in which I live.

Both experiences were completely false. I know from physical evidence this must be the case. They never happened.

Either I am crazy - let me strike that with this crowd - or delusional - strike two - or I dreamed them. That is the only rational explanation. My dreams are almost never vivid and true to life but in this instance they must have been. I have no other explanation.

Game Mix is one channel for the entire country. Nobody else saw what you saw. Satelliteracer gave you the logs. You couldn't have experienced the blackout.

Believe me, saleen, it's easier to say I dreamed it than to say I'm mentally unbalanced. Strike three.

Edited by Carl Spock, 19 September 2012 - 07:40 PM.

hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#60 OFFLINE   midd

midd

Mentor

• Registered
  • 36 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 03:28 AM

Well they must have had permission week one or just did it one their own because of the free preview. Green Bay-Niners was the 4:00 game on Fox in my area. The 1:00 game ran over (forget who played, Eagles-Browns maybe). DTV played the start of the Niners-Pack game on the designated Sunday Ticket channel until the first game was completed and then blacked out the channel because Fox picked it up once the 1:00 game was complete.

Obviously you either did not read or did not comprehend the posts above. DirecTV cannot place a game on the national channel temporarily or otherwise without the expressed written permission from the NFL and the local CBS channels and that cannot happen on the fly. It all comes down to who owns the content and who has paid to carry what. If the game is scheduled to be on your local CBS station, even if the previous game has not ended, there is nothing DirecTV can do about it.

Sure, DirecTV has the technology to show the game on a national channel, but they do not have the rights to do so. The NFL owns the rights and they have licensed those rights to your local CBS station.

spam firewall