Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

The official Pac-12 discussion thread

• Please log in to reply
830 replies to this topic

#221 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 03:13 PM

Let me get this straight, its ok to showcase Big10 games and have higher fees than Pac12 offers??? .... Ok I'm more than biased, but that ala carte offer is ridiculous..

You have no idea what the actual terms of the deal between the Big 10 network and DirecTV are. Rumor and reality can be very different. It also took four years to get done.
DTV = Digital Television

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#222 OFFLINE   kick4fun

kick4fun

Godfather

• Registered
  • 467 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 03:32 PM

Ok, I agree. I am so overwhelmingly biased and emotional. These games mean a lot.. I really don't wont to go back and forth so I concede and wave the flag. At some point, I still would love to see Pac12 on DirecTV.

#223 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 03:47 PM

At some point, I still would love to see Pac12 on DirecTV.

As would I.
DTV = Digital Television

#224 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,800 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 22 September 2012 - 03:50 PM

As would I.

Ditto. I'm looking forward to Arizona basketball. Hoping for my dream championship - North Carolina vs. Arizona.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#225 OFFLINE   kick4fun

kick4fun

Godfather

• Registered
  • 467 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 03:51 PM

As would I.

Ya, we agree. :)

#226 OFFLINE   mhking

mhking

Icon

• Registered
  • 543 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 05:46 PM

I sent DirecTV a note this afternoon to let 'em know how pissed off I am and promptly got a form letter in response (not that I expected anything different; they've heard it all by this point).

I'm just torqued off that it appears that they aren't taking the fans seriously.

The response I got:

DIRECTV wants Pac-12 fans to have their network. Pac-12 Network is denying these same fans the service because they won’t offer the channel at a price that’s affordable for all DIRECTV customers whether they’re fans or not. We’d like to come to an agreement with Pac-12 Network and believe there is an opportunity to add the channel immediately for any fan who wants it.

Please note that the vast majority of Pac 12 football games featuring the most popular teams with national title implications remain available to all DIRECTV customers through the ESPN family of networks and ABC Sports, FOX Sports and FSN, FX, CBS Sports and CBS Sports Network, NBC Sports and NBC Sports Network and several other regional services.

For more information please visit directvpromise.com/Pac-12.

Thank you,

DIRECTV Customer Care

I guess USC at #13 doesn't count in their figuring of potential teams with BCS implications.

Sounds like DirecTV wants to be the leader in sports -- as long as it suits them and their wallets.
Wish list of channels for D*: C-Span 3; BBC World News; Sky News International; CBC Newsworld; France24; EuroNews; Eurosportnews; Setanta Sports News; ABC News 24 (Australia); Australia Network (soon to be ABC Asia Pacific); Al Jazeera English; Russia Today; NHK World; DW-TV -- Heck, how about an entire English-language international tier so I don't have to keep switching to my Roku?

#227 OFFLINE   mshaw2715

mshaw2715

Slow but steady.

• Registered
  • 833 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in Washington

Posted 22 September 2012 - 05:51 PM

The fact they added a page on the directv promise site shows their is enough pressure, but they just don't care. They are going to dig in for the long haul. Which also makes it even more clear that millions would have to leave to force directv to add the station quickly. The response they gave and the fact it was added to the directv promise website shows that this could take a year or two before we see it on directv.

I sent DirecTV a note this afternoon to let 'em know how pissed off I am and promptly got a form letter in response (not that I expected anything different; they've heard it all by this point).

I'm just torqued off that it appears that they aren't taking the fans seriously.

The response I got:

I guess USC at #13 doesn't count in their figuring of potential teams with BCS implications.

Sounds like DirecTV wants to be the leader in sports -- as long as it suits them and their wallets.

#228 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,800 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 22 September 2012 - 05:56 PM

No, they said "national title implications." USC lost, they're out. ;)
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#229 OFFLINE   mhking

mhking

Icon

• Registered
  • 543 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 05:58 PM

The fact they added a page on the directv promise site shows their is enough pressure, but they just don't care. They are going to dig in for the long haul. Which also makes it even more clear that millions would have to leave to force directv to add the station quickly. The response they gave and the fact it was added to the directv promise website shows that this could take a year or two before we see it on directv.

I haven't realistically considered it up to this point, but if this really looks to drag on, I may have to consider switching to Dish myself. I've been with them nearly 10 years, but it sounds like they don't care about that...
Wish list of channels for D*: C-Span 3; BBC World News; Sky News International; CBC Newsworld; France24; EuroNews; Eurosportnews; Setanta Sports News; ABC News 24 (Australia); Australia Network (soon to be ABC Asia Pacific); Al Jazeera English; Russia Today; NHK World; DW-TV -- Heck, how about an entire English-language international tier so I don't have to keep switching to my Roku?

#230 OFFLINE   mhking

mhking

Icon

• Registered
  • 543 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 05:59 PM

(smirk) I know, but it's the principle of the thing... Besides, DirecTV claims to be the "leader" in sports TV. After this, it's obvious -- not so much.

#231 OFFLINE   mshaw2715

mshaw2715

Slow but steady.

• Registered
  • 833 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 06:07 PM

They only count the big ten, big 12, acc, and sec and just barely count the big 12.

#232 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,800 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 22 September 2012 - 06:08 PM

(smirk) I know, but it's the principle of the thing... Besides, DirecTV claims to be the "leader" in sports TV. After this, it's obvious -- not so much.

Well, who is? Who's got ST, practically every MLB, NBA, NHL game in HD, Hotpass, a ton more coverage of every golf and tennis grand slam events, etc...?

#233 OFFLINE   mshaw2715

mshaw2715

Slow but steady.

• Registered
  • 833 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 06:08 PM

Usually takes a year or two when they dig like they have.

I haven't realistically considered it up to this point, but if this really looks to drag on, I may have to consider switching to Dish myself. I've been with them nearly 10 years, but it sounds like they don't care about that...

#234 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,800 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 22 September 2012 - 06:11 PM

They only count the big ten, big 12, acc, and sec and just barely count the big 12.

The important Pac12 games have been on national channels & if the pdf I posted holds true it'll continue.

#235 OFFLINE   mshaw2715

mshaw2715

Slow but steady.

• Registered
  • 833 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 06:13 PM

They did that because they knew it would take a little time, but they never thought it would take longer than football season to get Directv on board.

The important Pac12 games have been on national channels & if the pdf I posted holds true it'll continue.

#236 OFFLINE   mhking

mhking

Icon

• Registered
  • 543 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 06:30 PM

It sounded like they had already planned not to show the Cal-USC game this week, even if USC had won last week (and remained a top 5 team). :rolleyes:

I'm pissed, but I'll get over it. My WIFE is pissed -- and she's not a football fan. USC & Notre Dame are the only college teams she'll even think about watching (oh, and Howard, but they're never on TV)...

She's already asked me what it would take to switch...

#237 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,800 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 22 September 2012 - 06:40 PM

It sounded like they had already planned not to show the Cal-USC game this week, even if USC had won last week (and remained a top 5 team). :rolleyes:

I'm pissed, but I'll get over it. My WIFE is pissed -- and she's not a football fan. USC & Notre Dame are the only college teams she'll even think about watching (oh, and Howard, but they're never on TV)...

She's already asked me what it would take to switch...

Notre Dame? Smart wife. ;) Did she attend Howard? HU has a place in my heart... Phi Beta Sigma's Alpha chapter.

#238 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 07:42 PM

Name a provider who even comes closes to what DirecTV offers in sports.

Edited by Hoosier205, 22 September 2012 - 09:40 PM.

DTV = Digital Television

#239 OFFLINE   bnwrx

bnwrx

Icon

• Registered
  • 931 posts
  • Locationcolorado, in the mountains.....

Posted 22 September 2012 - 09:19 PM

The best PAC12 game today was in Washington.
CU 35/WSU 34.And it was on FX not PAC12 NET.....;)

HR44-500 HDMI to 42"Toshiba
HR21-100 HDMI to 32" LG and 20" AOC

Directv since 1996(the USSB,Pegasus days...)
...sometimes, there is no answer...
http://woodlandweather.org/

#240 OFFLINE   BusterAvis

BusterAvis

Legend

• Registered
  • 177 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 11:56 PM

Should we close this thread and all Pac-12 with DirecTV discussion down?
Should we wait until August of 2013 before opening it back up?

There is no chance in hell that Pac-12 will get on DirecTV now until at least late August of 2013, when football season is about to get underway again next year.

Pac-12 sucks in basketball, and there are no true title implication games in Pac-12 regular season basketball.

It's moot to sit here and talk about this.
Keep a Pac-12 - Dish Network thread up, since Dish has it, but it's completely irrelevant now to have a thread about Pac-12 and DirecTV.

It's over.
The biggest football games on Pac-12 network have passed by.
The USC vs. Cal game (the biggest) is done.
The leverage (any leverage they had at all) for Pac-12 over DirecTV is finished.

Either Pac-12 caves in to DirecTV, or wait until August of 2013.
Your choice. But this thread is now officially meaningless.
DirecTV has chosen they'd rather lose a couple hundred thousand subs (200,000+), than to put Pac-12 on their lineup in the same way Dish Network and 40+ cable companies have.
Quite frankly, DirecTV has chosen to act like a binch in this whole process.

spam firewall