Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

The official Pac-12 discussion thread

• Please log in to reply
830 replies to this topic

#241 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 12:23 AM

It's over.

Thank you for confirming you will not post about PAC12 any more until there is a deal. :D

After all....

There is no chance in hell that Pac-12 will get on DirecTV now until at least late August of 2013, when football season is about to get underway again next year.

[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#242 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 05:30 AM

It's over.

I've always wondered who are those guys who leave at the end of the first quarter of a football game when their team is behind 0-24.

Now I know.
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#243 OFFLINE   amh84

amh84

Mentor

• Registered
  • 44 posts
  • LocationNogales, Arizona

Posted 23 September 2012 - 07:53 AM

Pac-12 sucks in basketball, and there are no true title implication games in Pac-12 regular season basketball.

You can never count our schools out of contention in Football or Basketball. Especially after the beat down Arizona suffered last night.

In basketball, after a few off years they all of a sudden suck? Every conference has down years even the ESPN-beloved ACC.

If they're so horrible at sports why keep posting here? Leave it for us fans.

There's a good group of us that would love this network at a reasonable cost. Until then we will keep our fingers crossed for positive, productive negotiations and will continue to do so until the Pac-12 networks come on line.

HR34-700, HR22-100, R22-100, H23-600, C31

#244 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 08:12 AM

amh84

:joy: Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image :jumpingja
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#245 OFFLINE   uawildcat7

uawildcat7

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 08:48 AM

Pac 12 should be really good in basketball with ucla and az. Sorry if this has been answered but is dish only going to have pac 12.in hd for games?

#246 OFFLINE   sdk009

sdk009

Icon

• Registered
  • 652 posts
  • LocationStanislaus County Farmland

Posted 23 September 2012 - 08:51 AM

Lots of myopia by a few individuals who have such a bias against the PAC-12, no matter the facts, they'll just keep burying it. And, whatever DirecTV says or does, is the goespel for them.
A one loss team (Alabama) played for the BCS tittle this past January, so USC still has a chance, along with Oregon, to play for a tittle. And, for some of us its not just about wininng a tittle, but winning games week-in and week-out.
The PAC-12 has two of the top three basketball recruiting classes with UCLA rated #2 & Arizona #3 by Rivals.com.
There will be more than 150 basketball games carried by the PAC-12 Network, so there will many more live events shown beginning in November. It may be hard for some of you to swallow, but some of us actually like college basketball more than college football.
SO, I for one will keep hammering on DirecTV to make a deal, because my research tells me they are the ones keeping the net off its system.

#247 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 09:58 AM

Lots of myopia by a few individuals who have such a bias against the PAC-12, no matter the facts, they'll just keep burying it. And, whatever DirecTV says or does, is the goespel for them.
A one loss team (Alabama) played for the BCS tittle this past January, so USC still has a chance, along with Oregon, to play for a tittle. And, for some of us its not just about wininng a tittle, but winning games week-in and week-out.
The PAC-12 has two of the top three basketball recruiting classes with UCLA rated #2 & Arizona #3 by Rivals.com.
There will be more than 150 basketball games carried by the PAC-12 Network, so there will many more live events shown beginning in November. It may be hard for some of you to swallow, but some of us actually like college basketball more than college football.
SO, I for one will keep hammering on DirecTV to make a deal, because my research tells me they are the ones keeping the net off its system.

I'd like to see that research.
DTV = Digital Television

#248 OFFLINE   mshaw2715

mshaw2715

Slow but steady.

• Registered
  • 834 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in Washington

Posted 23 September 2012 - 07:23 PM

Seems Directv's point of view of the pac 12 gets better and better. This was their response to someone asking about the pac 12 channel.

I am sorry - we have been working on the deal but PAC12 had been stalling the process

#249 OFFLINE   WebTraveler

WebTraveler

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 06:02 AM

Seems Directv's point of view of the pac 12 gets better and better. This was their response to someone asking about the pac 12 channel.

They posted on Facebook the other day that Pac 12 was playing hardball. Yea, hardball by offering the SAME deal that their competitors were offered! Imagine that.

#250 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 06:03 AM

They posted on Facebook the other day that Pac 12 was playing hardball. Yea, hardball by offering the SAME deal that their competitors were offered! Imagine that.

Which we know isn't true.
DTV = Digital Television

#251 OFFLINE   WebTraveler

WebTraveler

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 06:03 AM

Buster, it's about MORE than just football.

Should we close this thread and all Pac-12 with DirecTV discussion down?
Should we wait until August of 2013 before opening it back up?

There is no chance in hell that Pac-12 will get on DirecTV now until at least late August of 2013, when football season is about to get underway again next year.

Pac-12 sucks in basketball, and there are no true title implication games in Pac-12 regular season basketball.

It's moot to sit here and talk about this.
Keep a Pac-12 - Dish Network thread up, since Dish has it, but it's completely irrelevant now to have a thread about Pac-12 and DirecTV.

It's over.
The biggest football games on Pac-12 network have passed by.
The USC vs. Cal game (the biggest) is done.
The leverage (any leverage they had at all) for Pac-12 over DirecTV is finished.

Either Pac-12 caves in to DirecTV, or wait until August of 2013.
Your choice. But this thread is now officially meaningless.
DirecTV has chosen they'd rather lose a couple hundred thousand subs (200,000+), than to put Pac-12 on their lineup in the same way Dish Network and 40+ cable companies have.
Quite frankly, DirecTV has chosen to act like a binch in this whole process.

#252 OFFLINE   kick4fun

kick4fun

Godfather

• Registered
  • 467 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 07:00 AM

Talked to family and this is my decision related to Pac12 Networks..

I am offended by the way Directv has handled the Pac12 networks. I am personally affected from some jack crack who argued with me at a Directv booth and threw a wadded piece of paper at my 6 year old daughter yelling he's been watching Pac12 NETWORK for 2 years.. Yes, we went back and forth about network and that this is new, etc.... He wouldn't listen to reason.

OK!! Yes I realize this is not what directv is about. A letter to Mike White and all I got was a short email sent from his IPAD saying he would look into it and thanks for bringing this to his attention.

1. If Dish gets AMC back before Directv gets Pac12, I'm GONE..
2. If Pac12 Comes to Directv, I'll stay until after the NFL season, then switch.

I am not convinced any longer that Directv has the best options.. I'm quite impressed with Dish and the Hopper that it might be time for a change.. If I'm wrong, well at least I tried it and can say I know from personal experience..

Edited by kick4fun, 24 September 2012 - 07:07 AM.

#253 OFFLINE   mshaw2715

mshaw2715

Slow but steady.

• Registered
  • 834 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in Washington

Posted 24 September 2012 - 07:27 AM

I wouldn't expect amc back anytime soon with Dish network considering the history those two companies have with each other. Just like I would expect the pac 12 before this year is out either.

Talked to family and this is my decision related to Pac12 Networks..

I am offended by the way Directv has handled the Pac12 networks. I am personally affected from some jack crack who argued with me at a Directv booth and threw a wadded piece of paper at my 6 year old daughter yelling he's been watching Pac12 NETWORK for 2 years.. Yes, we went back and forth about network and that this is new, etc.... He wouldn't listen to reason.

OK!! Yes I realize this is not what directv is about. A letter to Mike White and all I got was a short email sent from his IPAD saying he would look into it and thanks for bringing this to his attention.

2. If Pac12 Comes to Directv, I'll stay until after the NFL season, then switch.

I am not convinced any longer that Directv has the best options.. I'm quite impressed with Dish and the Hopper that it might be time for a change.. If I'm wrong, well at least I tried it and can say I know from personal experience..

#254 OFFLINE   kick4fun

kick4fun

Godfather

• Registered
  • 467 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 07:55 AM

I wouldn't expect amc back anytime soon with Dish network considering the history those two companies have with each other. Just like I would expect the pac 12 before this year is out either.

With the court cases resuming today and all the things I'm reading, it sounds like Dish and AMC will probably settle real soon. My guess is within a month.

#255 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 07:58 AM

Yes, but Dish will still be using HD-Lite as well. HD picture quality is a priority in my household.
DTV = Digital Television

#256 OFFLINE   kick4fun

kick4fun

Godfather

• Registered
  • 467 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 08:02 AM

Yes, but Dish will still be using HD-Lite as well. HD picture quality is a priority in my household.

Not from what I've seen and heard... HD looks really good...

#257 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 08:08 AM

Not from what I've seen and heard... HD looks really good...

They don't offer a single 1080i channel in its full resolution and use a compression scheme that is inferior to that of DirecTV.
DTV = Digital Television

#258 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,697 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 24 September 2012 - 08:09 AM

Just curious, but why would you leave if D* gets Pac 12, isn't that what you want?

#259 OFFLINE   kick4fun

kick4fun

Godfather

• Registered
  • 467 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 09:25 AM

They don't offer a single 1080i channel in its full resolution and use a compression scheme that is inferior to that of DirecTV.

hmm, I guess I need to do more investigating.. I too like good quality HD.. I'll get to the bottom of this and see if it makes a difference in my house..

#260 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,841 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 24 September 2012 - 09:31 AM

hmm, I guess I need to do more investigating.. I too like good quality HD.. I'll get to the bottom of this and see if it makes a difference in my house..

There's a difference and it's well documented here and other video sites. Is Dish HD bad? No, not at all. It's just slightly softer and 1080i channels aren't full resolution.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

spam firewall