Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

The official Pac-12 discussion thread

• Please log in to reply
830 replies to this topic

#261 OFFLINE   kick4fun

kick4fun

Godfather

• Registered
  • 467 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 09:37 AM

Just curious, but why would you leave if D* gets Pac 12, isn't that what you want?

I think because of my personal experience with the Pac12 Networks and the booth guy, the hesitation and bickering back and forth from BOTH Directv and Pac12 and lastly the Hopper seems really cool. You can record ALL Prime time every night on 1 of 3 tuners.. but IF the HD Quality is really bad as Hoosier205 has pointed out, I may need to rethink this.. HMM. Good choices I guess..

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#262 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 09:52 AM

kick4fun, I appreciate the reasonableness of your stance here. This thread has exhibited the passion college football can bring out in people and you are trying to detach yourself from that. Congratulations. :righton:

I certainly don't know the details of your dealings with the DirecTV booth guy but it sounds like he needed to learn one of my favorite truisms as a salesman, and one of the few I wrote. Most I stole:

You can never win an argument with a customer.

Even if you win the argument, you lose the customer. It sounds like he lost both.

I have to admit it took me a couple of years as a neophyte salesman to learn the truth of this phrase. Again, I don't know the situation but could you write it off to his being young and stupid?
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#263 OFFLINE   kick4fun

kick4fun

Godfather

• Registered
  • 467 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 10:02 AM

kick4fun, I appreciate the reasonableness of your stance here. This thread has exhibited the passion college football can bring out in people and you are trying to detach yourself from that. Congratulations. :righton:

I certainly don't know the details of your dealings with the DirecTV booth guy but it sounds like he needed to learn one of my favorite truisms as a salesman, and one of the few I wrote. Most I stole:

Even if you win the argument, you lose the customer. It sounds like he lost both.

I have to admit it took me a couple of years as a neophyte salesman to learn the truth of this phrase. Again, I don't know the situation but could you write it off to his being young and stupid?

My letter

Dear Ellen,
I have been a loyal DIRECTV customer for more than six years. I am
writing this letter to share a disturbing experience with a DIRECTV
employee over the weekend.

On Saturday, August 11th, I attended the Bohemian Nights festival in
downtown Fort Collins, Colorado. As you may be aware, this is a large
event with hundreds of booths and more than 100,000 attendees.
DIRECTV had two booths at this event. I stopped by one of your booths
(at Remington Street and Mountain Ave.) to inquire about the upcoming
Pac 12 networks and whether or not DIRECTV was planning on carrying
the PAC 12 networks.

When I asked one of your employees about the network, he immediately
took on a condescending attitude and told me he's been watching the
network for two years. I assumed there was a misunderstanding and
explained that the PAC 12 network was launching this week. He then
said, "what do I know, I'm just an employee". He also accused me of
calling him a liar. It culminated in him yelling at me to "get the
F... out of my booth.” At this point, I was very frustrated and did
indeed leave the booth, mostly shaking my head that he got so heated
because I questioned that perhaps he was uninformed about the PAC12
networks.

A few hours later I had to return to the festival to pick up my wife,
who was volunteering. I brought with me a printout about the PAC12
network, with the intent of giving him the correct information. When
I handed him the paper, he wadded it up and threw it at my six year
old daughter and shouted again for me to” get the F... out”.

This interaction was so clearly aggressive and inappropriate that it
scared my daughter and frankly me. His entire reaction was so out of
proportion to the situation that I left immediately in the interest of
safety for my family.
After this interaction I went to the DIRECTV booth located on Matthew
Street. I spoke to them about what had just occurred, they apologized
and said they were not affiliated with the first DIRECTV booth. They
also answered my questions about the PAC12 network. There was a stark
contrast of customer service between the two booths; I truly hope this
was an isolated incident.

Let me start by saying I love DIRECTV as a product and have no
intention of leaving, but this sort of customer service needs to be
addressed. Why would a hothead be representing DIRECTV like that?
Even if I was wrong about channel lineups and such, why not discuss
the issue with me rather than take a tone of defensiveness and anger?
I thought you would like to know there are people like the one
mentioned who are representing DIRECTV.

#264 OFFLINE   kick4fun

kick4fun

Godfather

• Registered
  • 467 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 10:07 AM

Thank you... I have really tried to forget this incident and how that affects my decision with Pac12, but a little hard because of the mixed emotions.. I am trying by best to become detached and look at what both companies can offer from a reasonable stance.. I was very emotional in my earlier posts, but as this drags out further and I read all the gossip and the blogs, it becomes harder for me to stay with Direct if Dish has the one product I want the most, PAC12 Networks

#265 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 10:10 AM

My letter

It culminated in him yelling at me to "get the
F... out of my booth.”

When I handed him the paper, he wadded it up and threw it at my six year
old daughter and shouted again for me to” get the F... out”.

Either you are exaggerating your letter, or you have a very twisted loyalty to DirecTV. If ANYONE, from ANY COMPANY would treat my 6 year old daughter that way, I would have stopped doing business with that company the SAME day. (Or realistically, as soon as their competitor finished setting up their service). NO ONE gets to treat my family in such a manner and get away with it. No channel, AMC or PAC12 would be more important than my family.
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#266 OFFLINE   donm

donm

Legend

• Registered
  • 168 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 10:11 AM

Talked to family and this is my decision related to Pac12 Networks..

I am offended by the way Directv has handled the Pac12 networks. I am personally affected from some jack crack who argued with me at a Directv booth and threw a wadded piece of paper at my 6 year old daughter yelling he's been watching Pac12 NETWORK for 2 years.. Yes, we went back and forth about network and that this is new, etc.... He wouldn't listen to reason.

OK!! Yes I realize this is not what directv is about. A letter to Mike White and all I got was a short email sent from his IPAD saying he would look into it and thanks for bringing this to his attention.

1. If Dish gets AMC back before Directv gets Pac12, I'm GONE..
2. If Pac12 Comes to Directv, I'll stay until after the NFL season, then switch.

I am not convinced any longer that Directv has the best options.. I'm quite impressed with Dish and the Hopper that it might be time for a change.. If I'm wrong, well at least I tried it and can say I know from personal experience..

I have decided almost the same as you. I am just waiting and hoping Dish and AMC settle from the trial soon. I just have the feeling they will settle this week. The only difference for me is #2 and add #3. If Dish doesn't settle and get AMC back and Charter gets the Pac 12 network I'm gone. I also have a #3 which is after this season of Walking Dead and Dish doesn't have AMC or Charter doesn't have the Pac 12 Network I will switch to Dish anyway. I'm also pretty interested in the Hopper. I have been wanting to get a third HD DVR for my daughter with my wife and daughter really wanting it. I just didn't want to get a longer contract on Directv unless they got the Pac 12 Network and with the Hopper I can add the third TV with the Dish and make everyone happy. I'm pretty picky HD guy and always look for the best HDTV I can afford and went last week to friends house to watch the Ducks on Dish (Pac 12 Network) and we watched some other shows afterwards and it looked damn good to me. He did have a top of line Pioneer plasma from a few years ago but still the source looked good. I wouldn't worry about Dish's HD unless you are really really picky. I doubt you will even notice the difference if there is any.

#267 OFFLINE   kick4fun

kick4fun

Godfather

• Registered
  • 467 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 10:20 AM

Either you are exaggerating your letter, or you have a very twisted loyalty to DirecTV. If ANYONE, from ANY COMPANY would treat my 6 year old daughter that way, I would have stopped doing business with that company the SAME day. (Or realistically, as soon as their competitor finished setting up their service). NO ONE gets to treat my family in such a manner and get away with it. No channel, AMC or PAC12 would be more important than my family.

Wasn't an exaggeration unfortunately.. I have studied martial arts for a long time thus my name, KICK4FUN.. The hardest thing for me was to walk away.. I had one lady who grabbed me and told me to think of my children.. I thought the best way to handle this was to write a letter, which I did.. I got a response my Mike White, but very short.. I really tried to think this was an isolated incident and hoped by this point I would have heard more. I really tried to stay unemotional, but this has dragged out far too long..

I agree that family is important, that is why I didn't belt the guy and go to jail over the incident.. The cost of cancelling service over some jack crack who I know is isolated, wasn't worth it to me.. I took my chances of staying, now I am confronted with the possibility of changing.

#268 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 10:21 AM

They posted on Facebook the other day that Pac 12 was playing hardball. Yea, hardball by offering the SAME deal that their competitors were offered! Imagine that.

If you are buying 20 bottles of wine instead of 14 bottles of wine, wouldn't you approach the wine salesman and say.... hey, I am buying bulk, can I get a discount?

There is a difference in negotiating for 20 million subscribers (and 98% of sportsbars) and 14 million subscribers.

Dish lost AMC, so they don't have to pay them anymore. They also don't pay for NYC area sports network.... so they may simply have a little more room in their budget (they didn't increase their price this year either) to pay for PAC12, whereas DirecTV's numbers may be a lot tighter.

I mean, if my neighbor goes to a dealer and buys a car for $20k, and I go to the same dealer the next day and tell them: I will pay $19k, not a penny more.... the car dealer isn't going to say: "no deal, because your neighbor paid $20k". No, we are going to negotiate, and maybe come to $19.5k in the end, and I will walk away satisfied knowing I saved $500.

That's DirecTV. They don't feel the obligation to pay what others pay. They negotiate a deal that works for them, and will not buy until it gets close to the number they are thinking.
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#269 OFFLINE   sum_random_dork

sum_random_dork

Icon

• Registered
  • 893 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 10:24 AM

Buster, it's about MORE than just football.

I agree 100%! In my area water polo is VERY popular just about every High Schoool plays it and most kids start around age 10-12 playing on leagues in between their swimming seasons. I would love to be watching Water Polo, women's soccer, and even some of the volleyball.

Yes football rules in many ways, but add in the 150 basketball games coming up that's also something many would like to see. So I wouldn't say "it's over." Keep telling D* you want the channel and pressuring them.

#270 OFFLINE   kick4fun

kick4fun

Godfather

• Registered
  • 467 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 10:36 AM

I have decided almost the same as you. I am just waiting and hoping Dish and AMC settle from the trial soon. I just have the feeling they will settle this week. The only difference for me is #2 and add #3. If Dish doesn't settle and get AMC back and Charter gets the Pac 12 network I'm gone. I also have a #3 which is after this season of Walking Dead and Dish doesn't have AMC or Charter doesn't have the Pac 12 Network I will switch to Dish anyway. I'm also pretty interested in the Hopper. I have been wanting to get a third HD DVR for my daughter with my wife and daughter really wanting it. I just didn't want to get a longer contract on Directv unless they got the Pac 12 Network and with the Hopper I can add the third TV with the Dish and make everyone happy. I'm pretty picky HD guy and always look for the best HDTV I can afford and went last week to friends house to watch the Ducks on Dish (Pac 12 Network) and we watched some other shows afterwards and it looked damn good to me. He did have a top of line Pioneer plasma from a few years ago but still the source looked good. I wouldn't worry about Dish's HD unless you are really really picky. I doubt you will even notice the difference if there is any.

Thanks for the Update on the HD.. I have all Samsungs, with the family tv as the 52 inch Plasma.. I have heard the same about being very close to Directv in HD Quality.. And on top of all the PAC12 games being in HD, they have SRS True Volume.. WOW.. No more really loud commercials.

#271 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 10:53 AM

Dear Ellen...

What an a-hole. I wouldn't blame you if you left DirecTV permanently over this.

Funny it happened in Fort Collins. That's where I had my first job selling stereos. It was at Team Electronics from the summer of 1976 through the fall of 1977, and where I learned my craft, including (1) never lie to a customer, (2) never argue with a customer. I tried both at that store, failing most every time.

Team Electronics is long since gone but it was at 107 S. College Ave. in downtown Ft. Collins, above the Catacombs if that bar is still there. Amazingly, I found a picture of the store online, the site of my first full time, out on my own job after college.

Posted Image

#272 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 36,874 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 01:03 PM

Great pic. My first job in consumer electronics of any kind was a video rental store called "Video Revolution" off highway 28. They're long gone. According to Google it's a law office now.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#273 OFFLINE   kick4fun

kick4fun

Godfather

• Registered
  • 467 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 02:13 PM

What an a-hole. I wouldn't blame you if you left DirecTV permanently over this.

Funny it happened in Fort Collins. That's where I had my first job selling stereos. It was at Team Electronics from the summer of 1976 through the fall of 1977, and where I learned my craft, including (1) never lie to a customer, (2) never argue with a customer. I tried both at that store, failing most every time.

Team Electronics is long since gone but it was at 107 S. College Ave. in downtown Ft. Collins, above the Catacombs if that bar is still there. Amazingly, I found a picture of the store online, the site of my first full time, out on my own job after college.

Posted Image

That's great.. I've only lived in Fort Collins for about a year, but this is gorgeous out here.. No one else knows this, I'm sure you do, but Disneyland was modeled after Old Town, in Fort Collins CO. Thanks for the nice replies..

#274 OFFLINE   sum_random_dork

sum_random_dork

Icon

• Registered
  • 893 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 02:41 PM

image-3632689197.jpg . This is how the streaming worked using Xfinity's website on my laptop using HDMI out. Pretty good quality but like most streaming it did buffer a few times and slow down.

It works, but would be much better if DirecTV added the network.

#275 OFFLINE   kick4fun

kick4fun

Godfather

• Registered
  • 467 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 02:44 PM

[ATTACH]30078[/ATTACH]. This is how the streaming worked using Xfinity's website on my laptop using HDMI out. Pretty good quality but like most streaming it did buffer a few times and slow down.

It works, but would be much better if DirecTV added the network.

Agreed. The streaming looks good, but would be better on the satellite.

#276 OFFLINE   David Ortiz

David Ortiz

There for Jeter's flip play

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,111 posts
  • LocationFresno, CA

Posted 24 September 2012 - 02:53 PM

Oct 6 game times and networks finalized: http://www.cbssports...october-6-games

USC (Thurs.) and Oregon on ESPN, Stanford on Fox.

#277 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,020 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 24 September 2012 - 04:03 PM

Oct 6 game times and networks finalized: http://www.cbssports...october-6-games

USC (Thurs.) and Oregon on ESPN, Stanford on Fox.

Interesting - Fox originally had the UCLA/Cal game. I guess they dumped it for the better matchup, a top 10 Stanford vs a 1 loss, but good Arizona team... smart.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#278 OFFLINE   sum_random_dork

sum_random_dork

Icon

• Registered
  • 893 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 04:32 PM

Bummer part about the games picked: Cal's first night game in the "new" Memorial Stadium. First time they'll have real lights instead of protable ones brought in for a game. The game is being broadcast on Pac 12 Networks.

#279 OFFLINE   BusterAvis

BusterAvis

Legend

• Registered
  • 233 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 11:00 PM

Ok, I know that I said this thread was basically meaningless and all (for the next 11 months), based on Pac-12 not having any more leverage until August of next year.

But I actually thought of something that would gain them leverage again, over DirecTV by or before then. If they decide to expand, quickly, with two more universities, and call themselves the Pac-14, then they might get on DirecTV by or before then. Send other employees in to do their negotiating with DirecTV, as the Pac-14 conference. As naive as DirecTV is (especially their common employee) at knowing about Pac football, then they would just think it's a completely different conference. That's how ignorant DirecTV will be. They don't know sh** about Pac football to begin with. They'll just assume it's a whole difference conference, and the negotiations can take place without the previous pride issues or bad blood to worry about. No previous grudge = better chance for deal.

So Pac needs to act quick.
Get two more on board (preferably east coast schools, since DirecTV cares about them a lot more). How about Syracuse and Rutgers? We're talking about the New York market right there, and DirecTV won't want to lose that.

DirecTV: "Hmmmm, Pac-14. Well, hopefully they're nicer to us in the negotiation process than that other conference was, the Pack-12 or whatever they were called again" :)

Edited by BusterAvis, 24 September 2012 - 11:05 PM.

#280 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 04:34 AM

:icon_kiff

Buster, this is the kind of idea I would come up with at 1 AM, Ohio time.

But then I'd go to sleep and when I woke up, I'd ask, "How come I'm still wearing my clothes?"

Here. You'll feel better after a cup of jo.

:icon_cof:

No, no, no, no, no. Stop. That's bong water.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...