Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

The official Pac-12 discussion thread

• Please log in to reply
830 replies to this topic

#301 OFFLINE   stevester23

stevester23

Mentor

• Registered
  • 37 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 07:51 AM

I was very optimistic about this channel 2 weeks ago, but now I think It's less than far less than 50% that we will get this channel anytime soon.

Both sides seem to be dug in and prepared to drag this out.

Pac 12 is still betting that people will leave for other carriers and force D* hand. I dont see this happening, especially since they have exclusive carriage of Sunday Ticket. Maybe after NFL season is over, but not now.

If PAC 12 had a single National Channel like the Big Ten we would most likely have this channel. I may be totally off base, but it's probably the 6 six regional feeds and how to distribute them that is holding this up.

It took Time Warner 7 years to carry NFL Network.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#302 OFFLINE   kick4fun

kick4fun

Godfather

• Registered
  • 467 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 08:01 AM

Correct their offer is further away and not closer. They had offered sports pack to put it in and treat it like big ten network, but would not be available outside of that package. The offers now make it an ala carte type option that isn't part of even sports pack. Directv basically doesn't want to take the channel unless it is in some premium type option.

Great.. If that's their stance, I will go ahead and schedule my DISH install for next weekend... I'll miss my Sunday Ticket, but I guess I'll watch my team via the Redzone.. :)

#303 OFFLINE   kick4fun

kick4fun

Godfather

• Registered
  • 467 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 08:03 AM

I was very optimistic about this channel 2 weeks ago, but now I think It's less than far less than 50% that we will get this channel anytime soon.

Both sides seem to be dug in and prepared to drag this out.

Pac 12 is still betting that people will leave for other carriers and force D* hand. I dont see this happening, especially since they have exclusive carriage of Sunday Ticket. Maybe after NFL season is over, but not now.

If PAC 12 had a single National Channel like the Big Ten we would most likely have this channel. I may be totally off base, but it's probably the 6 six regional feeds and how to distribute them that is holding this up.

It took Time Warner 7 years to carry NFL Network.

The regional channels all broadcast the same as the National Broadcast, unless it's game time..

#304 OFFLINE   mshaw2715

mshaw2715

Sports Fan

• Registered
  • 830 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in Washington

Posted 27 September 2012 - 08:04 AM

They mentioned the fact they did this on their facebook page when responding to several different people. I think their newest offer didn't go over with anyone. Which is why they included what had also been on the table.

Great.. If that's their stance, I will go ahead and schedule my DISH install for next weekend... I'll miss my Sunday Ticket, but I guess I'll watch my team via the Redzone.. :)

#305 OFFLINE   kick4fun

kick4fun

Godfather

• Registered
  • 467 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 08:07 AM

correct me if I'm wrong, but the NFL made a rule for Directv to offer the NFL through a streaming option for those who can't have a Dish.. Their solution was the PS3, that in my mind is awful... It lags and is no where near the competing streaming options like MLB or the Pac12 Networks.. Hmm, the NFL contract is up after the 2014 season and I'm betting that both Comcast and Dish are eyeing the chance.. NFL would be smart to include as many providers as possible...

#306 OFFLINE   mshaw2715

mshaw2715

Sports Fan

• Registered
  • 830 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in Washington

Posted 27 September 2012 - 08:10 AM

Correct, but your not supposed to be able to get that way because you can get dish. However, I believe several who have dish network have already been doing this.

correct me if I'm wrong, but the NFL made a rule for Directv to offer the NFL through a streaming option for those who can't have a Dish.. Their solution was the PS3, that in my mind is awful... It lags and is no where near the competing streaming options like MLB or the Pac12 Networks.. Hmm, the NFL contract is up after the 2014 season and I'm betting that both Comcast and Dish are eyeing the chance.. NFL would be smart to include as many providers as possible...

#307 OFFLINE   stevester23

stevester23

Mentor

• Registered
  • 37 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 08:17 AM

Correct, but your not supposed to be able to get that way because you can get dish. However, I believe several who have dish network have already been doing this.

I think Kick4fun was implying PS# was for people who cant have a dish and not refering to the Dish Network

#308 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 08:17 AM

It won't happen, nor would it be smart. There is a reason why Sunday Ticket is limited to one provider and that won't change. The NFL wants to limit ST availability to protect it's television partners and local affiliates. DirecTV will have the ability to negotiate a new contract before the bidding is ever opened up to other providers unless DirecTV passes on it. They won't.
DTV = Digital Television

#309 OFFLINE   kick4fun

kick4fun

Godfather

• Registered
  • 467 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 08:20 AM

I think Kick4fun was implying PS# was for people who cant have a dish and not refering to the Dish Network

He understands, because we have been talking about me switching to the DISH..
My original point was that the quality of Directv's PS3 online streaming is awful and $100 more than those who just want to have Sunday ticket on tv. My thought is that Directv wants people to come over to their subscription rather than offer a good product for the streaming option. I hope the NFL is taking notice, because I would like to have greater competition..

#310 OFFLINE   kick4fun

kick4fun

Godfather

• Registered
  • 467 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 08:22 AM

It won't happen, nor would it be smart. There is a reason why Sunday Ticket is limited to one provider and that won't change. The NFL wants to limit ST availability to protect it's television partners and local affiliates. DirecTV will have the ability to negotiate a new contract before the bidding is ever opened up to other providers unless DirecTV passes on it. They won't.

Maybe you're right and why NFL has such a demand..

#311 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 08:27 AM

Maybe you're right and why NFL has such a demand..

They do. Also, the PS3 version is only intended for those who cannot get DirecTV service at their address, not those who choose not to.
DTV = Digital Television

#312 OFFLINE   stevester23

stevester23

Mentor

• Registered
  • 37 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 08:30 AM

If DTV ever lost it's exclusive Sunday Ticket carriage chances are they would lose massive numbers of subscribers. I'm not a bean counter, but they may take a loss on this service or break even just to get/keep people under contract.

#313 OFFLINE   kick4fun

kick4fun

Godfather

• Registered
  • 467 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 08:33 AM

If DTV ever lost it's exclusive Sunday Ticket carriage chances are they would lose massive numbers of subscribers. I'm not a bean counter, but they may take a loss on this service or break even just to get/keep people under contract.

That's their angle.. Without NFL, they are at a huge risk...

#314 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 08:34 AM

Yep. When they pay $4 billion for Sunday Ticket rights...it's pretty important.
DTV = Digital Television

#315 OFFLINE   kick4fun

kick4fun

Godfather

• Registered
  • 467 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 08:34 AM

They do. Also, the PS3 version is only intended for those who cannot get DirecTV service at their address, not those who choose not to.

But we all know this isn't really happening.. :)

#316 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 08:36 AM

Even without ST they still offer far more sports, more HD channels, and superior HD picture quality (with the possible exception of Verizon).
DTV = Digital Television

#317 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 08:38 AM

But we all know this isn't really happening.. :)

Not that it matters. A very small number of people sub only to the PS3 version compared to full Sunday Ticket. Either way...DirecTV still gets paid.
DTV = Digital Television

#318 ONLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,543 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 27 September 2012 - 08:38 AM

If they lost every ST sub, then it'd be 2 million subs. Not EVERY sub would leave. Also, the money made of ST is off commercial accounts and not home subs.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#319 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 08:45 AM

I'm a sports guy who has had DirecTV for years but never has had ST before this year, and I only got it because it was free. I'll see how I feel about ST at the end of the season but so far I'm not that impressed. I can always get the Packers and really, it's rare that I'm so interested in an outmarket game I don't get anyway that I feel left out.

But I'm open minded. I need to find an outmarket team that I'm hooked on. It might be the Broncos or Niners. I'm going to follow them for the season and see what happens.
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#320 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 08:49 AM

I'm a sports guy who has had DirecTV for years but never has had ST before this year, and I only got it because it was free. I'll see how I feel about ST at the end of the season but so far I'm not that impressed. I can always get the Packers and really, it's rare that I'm so interested in an outmarket game I don't get anyway that I feel left out.

But I'm open minded. I need to find an outmarket team that I'm hooked on. It might be the Broncos or Niners. I'm going to try to follow them for the season and see what happens.

That makes since. It's geared towards displaced fans. You aren't displaced. Neither am I, but I have a lot of interest in out of market teams.
DTV = Digital Television

spam firewall