Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

The official Pac-12 discussion thread

• Please log in to reply
830 replies to this topic

#321 OFFLINE   kick4fun

kick4fun

Godfather

• Registered
  • 467 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 08:50 AM

I'm a sports guy who has had DirecTV for years but never has had ST before this year, and I only got it because it was free. I'll see how I feel about ST at the end of the season but so far I'm not that impressed. I can always get the Packers and really, it's rare that I'm so interested in an outmarket game I don't get anyway that I feel left out.

But I'm open minded. I need to find an outmarket team that I'm hooked on. It might be the Broncos or Niners. I'm going to follow them for the season and see what happens.

Why not the Seahawks???.. Just kidding.. I am a huge Seahawks fan and I must say I'm sorry about MNF.. That was plain wrong and it took away from a great Defensive game both were playing..

As far as Sunday Ticket, some years I get it, some others I don't.. A lot of time I end up falling asleep on the couch..

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#322 OFFLINE   kick4fun

kick4fun

Godfather

• Registered
  • 467 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 08:52 AM

Even without ST they still offer far more sports, more HD channels, and superior HD picture quality (with the possible exception of Verizon).

but they are the grand daddy because of the NFL.. After that, each carrier has their own niche based on the local market draw.. Directv has YES, Dish has PAc12, and TWC has Lakers.. I guess it all depends..

#323 OFFLINE   mshaw2715

mshaw2715

Slow but steady.

• Registered
  • 834 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in Washington

Posted 27 September 2012 - 08:55 AM

The key is that they are betting on people choosing the NFL over the pac 12.

but they are the grand daddy because of the NFL.. After that, each carrier has their own niche based on the local market draw.. Directv has YES, Dish has PAc12, and TWC has Lakers.. I guess it all depends..

#324 OFFLINE   kick4fun

kick4fun

Godfather

• Registered
  • 467 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 09:05 AM

The key is that they are betting on people choosing the NFL over the pac 12.

I agree.. and no doubt NFL has a VERY STRONG PULL, there are those who live in cities that showcase their NFL teams.. I think the Sunday Ticket draw is for people like me who are fans of a team that is out of market, like the Seahawks.. Fort College teams, this is a whole different ballgame, because now you can't even go to you're friends house or the local watering hole unless they carry Comcast or Dish...

#325 OFFLINE   kick4fun

kick4fun

Godfather

• Registered
  • 467 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 09:08 AM

http://www.pacificta...ollege-football
Seems like Directv and Pac12 are nowhere close..., but I guess we already knew that.. :)

#326 OFFLINE   sum_random_dork

sum_random_dork

Icon

• Registered
  • 891 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 09:58 AM

Seems like Directv and Pac12 are nowhere close..., but I guess we already knew that.. :)

Could be correct or possibly something is happening. Seems both sides have been quiet and not saying a lot. The only thing we are hearing is what DirecTV says in that they are ready to launch the channel if/when a deal is signed. I am keeping my fingers crossed that's a good sign.

#327 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 10:51 AM

I think it is about time to give this whole thing a rest actually. Neither side is budging, and I am pretty sure DirecTV will not budge until PAC12 does. So unless PAC12 will drop its price, nothing is going to happen any time soon.

Since it may take a week to schedule an install, especially if you want one in a weekend or another time on YOUR schedule, you probably should already have called to setup an appointment if you want to see the Washington State @ Oregon State game in 10 days from now.

Or find a bar that has cable or Dish, so you don't have to switch yet.

Oregon State Beavers fans with DirecTV are screwed this weekend and next weekend if I look at the schedule, as their games in both those weekends are on PAC12 only.
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#328 OFFLINE   mshaw2715

mshaw2715

Slow but steady.

• Registered
  • 834 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in Washington

Posted 27 September 2012 - 12:34 PM

I like the fact I get the pac 12 network and don't have any problem with the picture, but my receiver guide goes out about 36 hours. It might be because it is not a dvr.

#329 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,879 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 02:11 PM

Ok I just deleted a whole bunch of off topic posts. Most of these posts didn't even mention the Pac-12 network and those that did were discussing HD resolutions and such. This is a sports discussion. If you want to discuss the merits of switching and Roku and how the Dish refer a friend program works and whether or not a provider is HD lite...etc, etc, etc start a thread. We have different forums for a reason.

We've been down this road before. The next Off Topic poster is gone.

POST ON TOPIC OR DON'T POST AT ALL!

:backtotop

Mike

Edited by Mike Bertelson, 27 September 2012 - 03:10 PM.

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#330 OFFLINE   woj027

woj027

Icon

• Registered
  • 823 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 03:44 PM

I'm thinking positive thoughts about the current lull in propaganda as well as "new' articles about progress (or lack of progress).

#331 OFFLINE   kick4fun

kick4fun

Godfather

• Registered
  • 467 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 08:46 PM

I think it is about time to give this whole thing a rest actually. Neither side is budging, and I am pretty sure DirecTV will not budge until PAC12 does. So unless PAC12 will drop its price, nothing is going to happen any time soon.

Since it may take a week to schedule an install, especially if you want one in a weekend or another time on YOUR schedule, you probably should already have called to setup an appointment if you want to see the Washington State @ Oregon State game in 10 days from now.

Or find a bar that has cable or Dish, so you don't have to switch yet.

Oregon State Beavers fans with DirecTV are screwed this weekend and next weekend if I look at the schedule, as their games in both those weekends are on PAC12 only.

So please forgive me, I really thought a few of my last posts were Pac12 related and I certainly respect the MODS for doing what needs to be done. I made the switch to DISH because of Pac12.. I really felt you have sort of dared some of us to make it happen. Well I did and will have full access to the Pac12 in the morning.. Quick turnover I think..
That being said, Glad I made the move because this is what I just read.. http://www.pacificta...l-looks-far-off

Edited by kick4fun, 27 September 2012 - 09:57 PM.

#332 OFFLINE   WebTraveler

WebTraveler

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 09:03 PM

Yep, installations are backed up for tomorrow and while I can get it done for the following week its not convenient for me, so yes I have to wait.

And yes, we're screwed two weeks in a row....I sold my tickets to the WSU@OSU and now I can't even watch it in person.

#333 OFFLINE   WebTraveler

WebTraveler

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 09:05 PM

So please forgive me, I really thought a few of my last posts were Pac12 related and I certainly respect the MODS for doing what needs to be done. I made the switch to DISH because of Pac12.. I really felt you have sort of dared some of us to make it happen, well I did and will have full access to the Pac12 in the morning.. Quick turnover I think..
That being said, Glad I made the move because this is what I just read.. http://www.pacificta...l-looks-far-off

Let us know how it looks....I am following you. Like you held out hoping and just plain tired of the b.s.

Will they use all Directv wiring making it an east install?

#334 OFFLINE   kick4fun

kick4fun

Godfather

• Registered
  • 467 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 09:10 PM

Yep, installations are backed up for tomorrow and while I can get it done for the following week its not convenient for me, so yes I have to wait.

And yes, we're screwed two weeks in a row....I sold my tickets to the WSU@OSU and now I can't even watch it in person.

oh no... I wish I could give you my in-laws Comcast password, but obviously that's not feasible.. OSU has been playing great and while I root for the Cougs, I am convinced that both Oregon and OSU will whip the Cougs badly.. Nevertheless, I am excited to watch more than just football.. The cool thing is I can watch Football, Basketball, Soccer, Volleyball and of course Field Hockey.. Gotta love the Pac12! :)

#335 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,199 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 27 September 2012 - 09:12 PM

"Screwed"?? Really? Over not having a couple of college games in your home one year?

If folks could back away from hyperbole, and let this calm down, it could help. Help keep the discussions more palatable, probably have no effect on getting Pac12 onto DIRECTV®. :eek2:

I am enjoying the Stanford-Washington game on ESPN HD at the moment.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#336 OFFLINE   WebTraveler

WebTraveler

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 09:12 PM

oh no... I wish I could give you my in-laws Comcast password, but obviously that's not feasible.. OSU has been playing great and while I root for the Cougs, I am convinced that both Oregon and OSU will whip the Cougs badly.. Nevertheless, I am excited to watch more than just football.. The cool thing is I can watch Football, Basketball, Soccer, Volleyball and of course Field Hockey.. Gotta love the Pac12! :)

In the Pac 12 it's always competitive so anything can happen in any game.

Please post about the install experience and how the Pac 12 looks later. Did you get the Hopper and the slingbox add on? Let me know if the wiring has to be tweaked at all to accommodate Dish.

#337 OFFLINE   WebTraveler

WebTraveler

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 09:13 PM

to each their own.

"Screwed"?? Really? Over not having a couple of college games in your home one year?

If folks could back away from hyperbole, and let this calm down, it could help. Help keep the discussions more palatable, probably have no effect on getting Pac12 onto DIRECTV®. :eek2:

#338 OFFLINE   kick4fun

kick4fun

Godfather

• Registered
  • 467 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 09:16 PM

Let us know how it looks....I am following you. Like you held out hoping and just plain tired of the b.s.

Will they use all Directv wiring making it an east install?

6 WEEKS LATER!!! I did hold out as long as I could.. Lots of fan boys here, many deleted posts and insults from Directv Booth employees and finally lots of discussion that wasn't related to Pac12 Networks.. That said, I do finally get what I've wanted all along, PAC12.. Seems that there are many others who have expressed the same with many stomping on our emotions.. As I have read and heard, the PAC12 Networks looks great in HD and offers lots of good programming.. I will be happy to express and share my experiences tomorrow when I get the install. My house is ready because I'm sure they will use all the existing wiring.. GO PAC12!!!!!!!

Edited by kick4fun, 27 September 2012 - 09:59 PM.

#339 OFFLINE   kick4fun

kick4fun

Godfather

• Registered
  • 467 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 09:20 PM

See, it's just this junk I'm so tired of reading.. The disdain for anything related to others excitement for a network we believe is worth something, is tiresome.. I have been able to stream this network since its inception and I can tell you it is without a doubt awesome.. Football, Soccer, Volleyball and many other sports related activities.. How fun.. I hope someday you can enjoy the same excitement.. Happy Trails!!

Edited by kick4fun, 27 September 2012 - 10:00 PM.

#340 OFFLINE   kick4fun

kick4fun

Godfather

• Registered
  • 467 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 09:31 PM

And what he said if you were really listening, was that OSU will be on the Pac12 Networks 2 weeks in a row.. He loves Oregon State and they are contenders this year.. OSU beat #13 Wisconsin and also #19 UCLA and are now ranked #18 this week.. Pretty nice start.. If I was an OSU fan, I wouldn't want to miss any game after that.. So yes, some are pretty jacked about their team.. WHY QUESTION HIS ENTHUSIASM? Lame.. Calm down you say??? Please!

Edited by kick4fun, 27 September 2012 - 10:01 PM.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...