Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

The official Pac-12 discussion thread

• Please log in to reply
830 replies to this topic

#401 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,547 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 30 September 2012 - 11:51 AM

I love this Pac12 thing.

Finally! At last you've admitted your passion.....

:D
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#402 OFFLINE   ajc68

ajc68

Icon

• Registered
  • 667 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 01:09 PM

For the second time in four weeks the P12Net had the better nightcap over ESPN (AZ vs OSU x 2). It's too bad for those football junkies that were in sports bars, or like to jump to the trending game, not to mention those that wanted to watch the game and couldn't. Half the P12 is currently ranked and there will be some great match-ups in the upcoming weeks. Not to mention the other great sports they're broadcasting.

Nevertheless, I'm sure some of the primary defenders of the faith will be here shortly, with their usual talking points, once again dissing the P12Net while praising DTV for not sending them and their fanboy co. into economic ruin. Funny we never hear them talk about the B1G network, which is forced on nearly everyone, let alone the dozens, if not hundreds, of additional channels that we're all forced to supplement, whether we want them or not.

Being that the P12Net is on four of the five largest carriers, you have to wonder about the direction the sports leader is currently headed in. If DTV doesn't carry the new Lakers RSN, which I don't believe they will due to cost, it will be interesting to see how much of a shift toward TWC there is in the Los Angeles market, which, of course, was TWC's plan all along. It's going to be interesting to see how things shake out over the next 3-6 months.

#403 OFFLINE   kick4fun

kick4fun

Godfather

• Registered
  • 474 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 01:46 PM

Finally! At last you've admitted your passion.....

:D

LOL.. Because it wasn't obvious before??.. :)

#404 OFFLINE   woj027

woj027

Icon

• Registered
  • 854 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted 01 October 2012 - 07:46 AM

For clarification:

What DISH has is the national feed on channel 413 with a HD feed (also on 413) that is used for selected events. It is not a 24/7 national feed (although there is a lot more in HD on PAC 12 than on any other DISH RSN other than Big10).

The alternate channels for PAC-12 are on channels 5453-5460 ... four SD feeds and four HD feeds. As I write this "WSOC: USC at Arizona St." and "WSOC: Oregon at Cal" are on the alts and "WSOC: Washington at Colorado" is on 413. (At 9pm ET/6pm CT there are three different volleyball matches, one on main and two on alts.)

Is there another game in progress that is being missed?

The "national" plus six regional mix feeds are designed for cable. The national feed will carry the most important games while the regionals will branch off to carry other games of interest to that region. Perhaps "down the road" there will be more variety on the seven channels but for now, PAC12 does not have enough conflicting content to put something different on all seven channels. A national feed and alts carries all the broadcast content they have.

James - Thanks for the update. I'm just really disappointed that a deal hasn't been made yet. Now (this week) its going to get worse, because both will think they have the upper hand because there are 6 pac-12 teams in the top 25 (maybe a couple too many).

Edited by woj027, 01 October 2012 - 08:33 AM.
6 not 5 (still 2 too many)

#405 OFFLINE   woj027

woj027

Icon

• Registered
  • 854 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted 01 October 2012 - 07:47 AM

Anyone have any insight as to how advertisers might be responding to the Pac-12 about not being seen nationally in sports bars and the like?

#406 OFFLINE   kick4fun

kick4fun

Godfather

• Registered
  • 474 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 08:01 AM

James - Thanks for the update. I'm just really disappointed that a deal hasn't been made yet. Now (this week) its going to get worse, because both will think they have the upper hand because there are 5 pac-12 teams in the top 25 (maybe a couple too many).

There are 6 now.. :) http://espn.go.com/c...otball/rankings

#407 OFFLINE   woj027

woj027

Icon

• Registered
  • 854 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted 01 October 2012 - 08:34 AM

Thanks.. Only 4 in the USA Today.

Great site for details on rankings.
http://www.pollspeak.com/

#408 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,316 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 01 October 2012 - 08:40 AM

It depends on the poll.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#409 OFFLINE   sdk009

sdk009

Icon

• Registered
  • 690 posts
  • LocationStanislaus County Farmland

Posted 01 October 2012 - 09:32 AM

It's really time for D* to make a deal. Both the games this week feature ranked teams, UCLA @ Cal & WSU @ OSU.
Looking ahead to basketball, the PAC-12 Net will be carrying 11 games the first weekend of the season beginning Nov. 9.

#410 OFFLINE   kick4fun

kick4fun

Godfather

• Registered
  • 474 posts

Posted 01 October 2012 - 09:42 AM

It depends on the poll.

your right, but the AP poll holds a lot of weight (When factoring the BCS stuff).. Isn't this the first year we have playoffs or is it next year?

#411 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,316 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 01 October 2012 - 09:43 AM

your right, but the AP poll holds a lot of weight (When factoring the BCS stuff).. Isn't this the first year we have playoffs or is it next year?

2014 I thought.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#412 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,826 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 09:32 AM

Field hockey will be live on Dish network as well. Pac 12 bay area feed of that game is on an alternate station and in HD no less.

At least if DirecTV ever signs a deal that is similar to Dish, I can watch some of it. :)

I'm not switching to Dish for it though, it's simply not that important to me. That said, I am getting more and more convinced that PAC12 will not be on DirecTV this season.
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#413 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,826 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 09:35 AM

2014 I thought.

Yes, 2014. The schedules for 2013/2014 are finalized by the end of 2012. That is.... the times, the stadiums, and the teams - not the TV schedules.

The schedules for 2012/2013 were finalized by late 2011, the decision for a playoff wasn't done till early 2012.
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#414 OFFLINE   sum_random_dork

sum_random_dork

Icon

• Registered
  • 893 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 12:08 PM

Like other posters have said, I too have lost faith in DirecTV adding Pac12 Networks anytime soon. Come Jan I will be shopping around to see what else is out there, once my Sunday Ticket is done this year (which I had already paid for) I don't have anything holding me to DirecTV.

#415 OFFLINE   kick4fun

kick4fun

Godfather

• Registered
  • 474 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 12:45 PM

Like other posters have said, I too have lost faith in DirecTV adding Pac12 Networks anytime soon. Come Jan I will be shopping around to see what else is out there, once my Sunday Ticket is done this year (which I had already paid for) I don't have anything holding me to DirecTV.

Honestly, I am pleasantly surprised how much I like the Hopper and Dish. That said, more importantly I can watch all the Pac12 games in HD and very good coverage.. I agree that I don't see Pac12 and Directv forming any sort of relationship any time soon. Some have mentioned that there will be some basketball games on ESPNU, but a good majority on the Pac12 Networks. Good Luck!

#416 OFFLINE   woj027

woj027

Icon

• Registered
  • 854 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted 02 October 2012 - 12:54 PM

fingers crossed for deal soon!

#417 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,547 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 10:55 AM

(That fair deal is supposedly the rumored 90 cents per subscriber that fits right down the line with the other big college sports conference network, the BTN).

That "fair deal"?? Almost a buck?? Do you have some interest in Pac12 besides being a fan?

What is the source of your info re the Big Ten?

#418 OFFLINE   kick4fun

kick4fun

Godfather

• Registered
  • 474 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 11:01 AM

That "fair deal"?? Almost a buck?? Do you have some interest in Pac12 besides being a fan?

What is the source of your info re the Big Ten?

That was taken from the link...
http://www.pacificta...ctv-larry-scott

Edited by kick4fun, 08 October 2012 - 11:08 AM.

#419 OFFLINE   widmark

widmark

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 34 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 11:51 AM

Pac12 is doing what the Big10 and SEC have been doing for awhile.. The payoff they get from Fox and ESPN have raised enough money for the schools to re-invest in their athletic facilities.

With that kind of philosophy, maybe we'll all "get lucky" and our kids sports teams will decide to sell tickets to games and shut out parents from getting them if they don't get their demands met for equipment and profits.

Nobody is giving kudos to the Big Ten or the SEC for their big money wins. True, the conferences would be irresponsible not to obtain funding for tv rights. But obtaining funding and generating billions, and forcing blackouts if financial goals aren't met, means Larry Scott has lost all perspective, and needs to wander off to professional sports where there are no publicly funded institutions depending on him to provide access to everybody.

#420 OFFLINE   kick4fun

kick4fun

Godfather

• Registered
  • 474 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 12:11 PM

With that kind of philosophy, maybe we'll all "get lucky" and our kids sports teams will decide to sell tickets to games and shut out parents from getting them if they don't get their demands met for equipment and profits.

Nobody is giving kudos to the Big Ten or the SEC for their big money wins. True, the conferences would be irresponsible not to obtain funding for tv rights. But obtaining funding and generating billions, and forcing blackouts if financial goals aren't met, means Larry Scott has lost all perspective, and needs to wander off to professional sports where there are no publicly funded institutions depending on him to provide access to everybody.

Forcing blackouts? Please rethink that because that's just not true. Its available to other providers.
To answer your other statement about public institutions.. These universities receive less and less money from public funds, ie tax dollars. The idea of having public institutions is to create an opportunity for students to receive an education. This had nothing to do with athletics. The scope of university athletics has changed so much in the last 20 years. It would be crazy for Larry Scott to give the product away, thus he has an amount he thinks will pay for his broadcast as well as staying competitive. If Directv doesn't like the demands, well so be it. If you want to petition, do so with Directv as well.

#421 OFFLINE   sum_random_dork

sum_random_dork

Icon

• Registered
  • 893 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 02:51 PM

You obviously have an issue with Larry Scott, but Larry Scott is doing exactly what the schools wanted him to do. Go out and get a better deal for them to help support all their athletic programs. It's exactly what the B1G10 and SEC do. You're request to sign an online petition won't accomplish much....remember 4 of the 5 largest providers already have Pac 12. Where I live every major provider besides DirecTV, ATT Uverse, and Suddenlink already carry the channel. Of that list, only DirecTV has any real customer #s to matter. There have been many posts about the cost per sub that Pac12 has asked for, if you find that's unfair that's fine.

FYI-Suddenlink is a member of the NTCT so I am sure if they want to carry the channel everything is already in place, as other members are carrying the Pac12 Network becuase the Pac12 Network signed a deal with their group.

#422 OFFLINE   Gloria_Chavez

Gloria_Chavez

Godfather

• Registered
  • 467 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 04:02 PM

Preposterous.

Larry Scott's mandate is to get at least as good a deal for the Pac12 as the Big10. And if the carriers resist, I say, hold out.

I also ask, how is ND a 9-pt favorite over the Cardinal?
Since 1995 the average cable bill has increased 122%, while TV consumption per household just 13%.

http://www.multichan...1_Per_Month.php

http://blog.nielsen....-all-time-high/

#423 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 41,104 posts
  • LocationMichiana

Posted 08 October 2012 - 04:14 PM

A reminder ...
Links to online petitions or calls for class action lawsuits are not allowed.

Instructions on where to find a petition and/or encouragement to sign such will be treated as a link. Please follow the forum rules and leave petitions OFF of our forums.

#424 OFFLINE   kick4fun

kick4fun

Godfather

• Registered
  • 474 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 03:21 PM

Pac12 Networks lands another carrier, just not Directv..

http://www.dtvusafor...o-deal-yet.html

#425 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,547 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 03:39 PM

That was taken from the link...
http://www.pacificta...ctv-larry-scott

Ah, so a Pac12 website is the one describing Scott's wants as "a fair deal". And saying "rumored" 90 cents.

Have you any connection with the Pac12 besides that of a fan or an alumnus?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...