Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

The official Pac-12 discussion thread

• Please log in to reply
830 replies to this topic

#341 OFFLINE   FlyBono24

FlyBono24

Godfather

• Registered
  • 484 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 04:03 AM

This is a bunch of bull$hit... they just need to get the goddamn deal done already. This seems like the best season my team (UCLA) is having in YEARS... and I can't even see the games because they are on this network.

And yes, like someone mentioned earlier, the MAIN reason I'm with DTV is because of their stranglehold on the NFL. If Sunday Ticket were available on any carrier, I'd switch over to Fios in a split second.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#342 OFFLINE   kick4fun

kick4fun

Godfather

• Registered
  • 467 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 04:54 AM

This is a bunch of bull$hit... they just need to get the goddamn deal done already. This seems like the best season my team (UCLA) is having in YEARS... and I can't even see the games because they are on this network.

And yes, like someone mentioned earlier, the MAIN reason I'm with DTV is because of their stranglehold on the NFL. If Sunday Ticket were available on any carrier, I'd switch over to Fios in a split second.

I feel your pain.. Just made the switch and having the install today.. The Cougars are not playing at the level the Bruins are, but we have a new coach and a new level of enthusiasm.. I just couldn't wait any longer.. I must see coach Mike Leach.. GO PAC12!

#343 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,942 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 05:00 AM

One common problem here is berating other members for their choices & enthusiasm in channels. If you have nothing to say about Pac-12 sports then move on. DO NOT attack anyone for their choices in channels. I’m tired of the bickering and it’s gonna stop.

Discuss the topic and NOT other members.

:backtotop

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#344 OFFLINE   WebTraveler

WebTraveler

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 07:11 AM

Dish install is set. Bye bye Directv.

Larry Scott said last night at the Stanford - UW game that any agreement with Directv is not even looking close....that's enough to pull the plug for once and all.

I really tried to give Directv the benefit of the doubt. I did. But Directv failed me.

Here we come Dish....coming back after five years away! (I guess a lesson in never say never!)

#345 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 07:17 AM

Enjoy your new service, WebTraveler. You, too, kick4fun. Dish is a fine service provider. :)
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#346 OFFLINE   kick4fun

kick4fun

Godfather

• Registered
  • 467 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 07:46 AM

Enjoy your new service, WebTraveler. You, too, kick4fun. Dish is a fine service provider. :)

Thanks .. Also DonM has decided to get Pac12 via the DISH.. So a few here have said we needed to jump ship, well we have heard and now are speaking out.. Enough waiting around, it's time to watch Pac12 Networks.

#347 OFFLINE   kick4fun

kick4fun

Godfather

• Registered
  • 467 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 08:04 AM

:icon_bb: :balloons:

Dish install is set. Bye bye Directv.

Larry Scott said last night at the Stanford - UW game that any agreement with Directv is not even looking close....that's enough to pull the plug for once and all.

I really tried to give Directv the benefit of the doubt. I did. But Directv failed me.

Here we come Dish....coming back after five years away! (I guess a lesson in never say never!)

#348 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,079 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 28 September 2012 - 08:12 AM

Larry Scott said last night at the Stanford - UW game ...

Speaking of the UW/Stanford game, UW winning pretty much knocks out Stanford from the BCS title. That's another plus for DirecTV, unfortunately. Looks like it's down to Oregon and Oregon State for national title implications. So far, Oregon's next 3 games are on national channels (ESPN & ESPN2). OSU/Arizona & OSU/WSU are on the P12 network this week & next with no others set, yet.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#349 OFFLINE   woj027

woj027

Icon

• Registered
  • 839 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted 28 September 2012 - 08:17 AM

Does anyone know if either party has asked for or suggested at least that the Pac-12 Regional channels get put up as RSN's only? Just like the all the other RSN's out there.
Forget about the National feed right now.
I know these are School specific channels for each region (OSU/UofO in OR, WSU/UofW in WA, etc) but at least those fans in the regions where they lost their RSN feed of these games (ROOT NW in OR and WA) can watch them again, and anyone who wants all the games can purchase the sports pack.

What does the National feed supply that someone with the sports pack wouldn't get? What does the National feed supply that a RSN wouldn't 'essentially' supply?

If I'm understanding what Pac12 wants, its that they want all 7 channels on a basic teir, I'd love that. But how can that fly? I agree with DirecTV here, some people don't want to pay for me to watch my team. (I do take donations though) ;)

Just give us back what we used to have; our local (regional) team on our RSN!

I know this will be an upgrade for us in Oregon and Washington who shared 1 channel for 4 teams, and down south in California you may not live in your school's zone, but at least you get to watch some Pac12 football!

argh!!:mad:

#350 OFFLINE   kick4fun

kick4fun

Godfather

• Registered
  • 467 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 08:24 AM

Speaking of the UW/Stanford game, UW winning pretty much knocks out Stanford from the BCS title. That's another plus for DirecTV, unfortunately. Looks like it's down to Oregon and Oregon State for national title implications. So far, Oregon's next 3 games are on national channels (ESPN & ESPN2). OSU/Arizona & OSU/WSU are on the P12 network this week & next with no others set, yet.

Don't count USC out... many one loss teams have bounced back.. It's much better to lose early then finish strong

#351 OFFLINE   mshaw2715

mshaw2715

Breaking the mold

• Registered
  • 834 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in Washington

Posted 28 September 2012 - 08:28 AM

RSN rights were bought before the network started up so they could air those games when the network went live. Even directv received money for the rights they had in the northwest and Rocky mountain regions on Root Sports.

Does anyone know if either party has asked for or suggested at least that the Pac-12 Regional channels get put up as RSN's only? Just like the all the other RSN's out there.
I know these are School specific channels for each region (OSU/UofO in OR, WSU/UofW in WA, etc) but at least those fans in the regions where they lost their RSN feed of these games (ROOT NW in OR and WA) can watch them again, and anyone who wants all the games can purchase the sports pack.

What does the National feed supply that someone with the sports pack wouldn't get? What does the National feed supply that a RSN wouldn't 'essentially' supply?

If I'm understanding what Pac12 wants, its that they want all 7 channels on a basic teir, I'd love that. But how can that fly? I agree with DirecTV here, some people don't want to pay for me to watch my team. (I do take donations though) ;)

I know this will be an upgrade for us in Oregon and Washington who shared 1 channel for 4 teams, and down south in California you may not live in your school's zone, but at least you get to watch some Pac12 football!

#352 OFFLINE   WebTraveler

WebTraveler

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 08:30 AM

Well, although I am a Beaver (and a Sun Devil) I would absolutely love it if the Beavers were in the national title hunt.....but I think it's way too early to be even mentioning that. We're 2-0 and had multiple weeks to prepare. I am not even ready to even be thinking that. Hey, if we make it to a bowl game fans will be thrilled after the past few years.

#353 OFFLINE   WebTraveler

WebTraveler

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 08:33 AM

I am sure everything has been discussed.....no way, however, that Directv is going to get a wholly different deal than any other provider. It's not going to happen. In time the Pac 12 loyal will drop Directv and life will go on. Whether that causes Directv to reverse course I have no idea. But for now they drew the line in the sand and Pac 12 has nothing to talk to them about.

How sad really. Directv was a sports leader. When a provider starts telling me that I really don't need the Pac 12 Network then that line has been drawn.

#354 OFFLINE   woj027

woj027

Icon

• Registered
  • 839 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted 28 September 2012 - 08:47 AM

RSN rights were bought before the network started up so they could air those games when the network went live. Even directv received money for the rights they had in the northwest and Rocky mountain regions on Root Sports.

I didn't know that, but it still doesn't change anything, if anything, I suppose I'm due some of that money that was paid for those rights, since my bill didn't drop because of that change.

But, I don't think it changes my point. Make a deal with Pac-12 Regionals!

#355 OFFLINE   kick4fun

kick4fun

Godfather

• Registered
  • 467 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 08:56 AM

I am sure everything has been discussed.....no way, however, that Directv is going to get a wholly different deal than any other provider. It's not going to happen. In time the Pac 12 loyal will drop Directv and life will go on. Whether that causes Directv to reverse course I have no idea. But for now they drew the line in the sand and Pac 12 has nothing to talk to them about.

How sad really. Directv was a sports leader. When a provider starts telling me that I really don't need the Pac 12 Network then that line has been drawn.

My feelings doubled.. One can make the case all they want about how Directv is making sound decisions by not caving into the Pac12 demands, but when I see the other carriers grabbing it and feel insulted, I bolt.. It's quite alright. I'm happy to give my business to a provider that wants to carry Pac12 because I feel every game and every moment is priceless. Sure there are some fun upsets this year already, why miss out on that...

Edited by kick4fun, 28 September 2012 - 09:27 AM.

#356 OFFLINE   smitbret

smitbret

Legend

• Registered
  • 130 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 10:23 AM

Great.. If that's their stance, I will go ahead and schedule my DISH install for next weekend... I'll miss my Sunday Ticket, but I guess I'll watch my team via the Redzone.. :)

Enjoy watching your ESPNU games in SD.

#357 OFFLINE   kick4fun

kick4fun

Godfather

• Registered
  • 467 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 10:25 AM

Enjoy watching your ESPNU games in SD.

I never watch that channel, but I am really excited to start watching Pac12 Networks in less than an hour.. WAHOO :goodjob:

#358 OFFLINE   David Ortiz

David Ortiz

There for Jeter's flip play

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,152 posts
  • LocationFresno, CA

Posted 28 September 2012 - 10:32 AM

I never watch that channel, but I am really excited to start watching Pac12 Networks in less than an hour.. WAHOO :goodjob:

There are quite a few Pac-12 men's basketball games that are scheduled to air on ESPNU.

#359 OFFLINE   kick4fun

kick4fun

Godfather

• Registered
  • 467 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 10:36 AM

There are quite a few Pac-12 men's basketball games that are scheduled to air on ESPNU.

I would venture to say more will be on regular ESPN and also FX.. Maybe this whole thing is a gamble, but I'm guessing that Pac12 Networks may show a lot of Basketball games.

#360 OFFLINE   David Ortiz

David Ortiz

There for Jeter's flip play

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,152 posts
  • LocationFresno, CA

Posted 28 September 2012 - 10:58 AM

I would venture to say more will be on regular ESPN and also FX.. Maybe this whole thing is a gamble, but I'm guessing that Pac12 Networks may show a lot of Basketball games.

The TV schedules are available now, so there is no need to guess. All 12 teams have at least two appearances on ESPNU and most have four or more. WSU has 24 games on Pac-12 Networks while UCLA has only 14.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...